Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Sanford Health/Summit League relationship

Default Re: Sanford Health/Summit League relationship

the Summit league needs to be relevant with what it has to work with. Adding a school from a metro area isn't going to change how the summit league is viewed. winning games in the men's and women's NCAA tourney are what it will take. If we can get a core of school committed to that, and if Augie has the backing to try it that's fine. UMKC came back to the league, I can only imagine how little impact that made in the KC marketplace. We are not going to get schools from the Horizon to join us or MVC.....(I think UNI would only consider it if they have major financial issues and switching to the summit would save money for them). Which in that case having a smaller footprint to keep travel costs down would be a benefit to the league. Maybe Centenary wants to come back so we can spread the conference footprint more.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done. Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Quote Originally Posted by goon View Post
    the Summit league needs to be relevant with what it has to work with. Adding a school from a metro area isn't going to change how the summit league is viewed. winning games in the men's and women's NCAA tourney are what it will take. If we can get a core of school committed to that, and if Augie has the backing to try it that's fine. UMKC came back to the league, I can only imagine how little impact that made in the KC marketplace. We are not going to get schools from the Horizon to join us or MVC.....(I think UNI would only consider it if they have major financial issues and switching to the summit would save money for them). Which in that case having a smaller footprint to keep travel costs down would be a benefit to the league. Maybe Centenary wants to come back so we can spread the conference footprint more.
    I daresay that a D-I St. Thomas would make an infinitely larger splash in the Twin Cities than UMKC could possibly do in KC (short of beating KU & K-State and going to the NCAA Sweet Sixteen all in one season). St. Thomas would be mainly competing with the U of M, the hockey schools, and Wisconsin, and a fairly saturated pro sports market in the Cities. UMKC is trying to compete in KC using men's basketball, and they're up against the University of Kansas and to a somewhat lesser extent Mizzou and K-State. (I've often thought that UMKC should institute baseball or even FCS football if they're really interested in raising their standing in the KC sports market.)

And a thought that came to me was that the Sanford pot of gold could in part be used to buy the Summit League into a much better TV/media configuration than the current Midco Sports Net/ESPN3.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Quote Originally Posted by filbert View Post
    I daresay that a D-I St. Thomas would make an infinitely larger splash in the Twin Cities than UMKC could possibly do in KC (short of beating KU & K-State and going to the NCAA Sweet Sixteen all in one season). St. Thomas would be mainly competing with the U of M, the hockey schools, and Wisconsin, and a fairly saturated pro sports market in the Cities. UMKC is trying to compete in KC using men's basketball, and they're up against the University of Kansas and to a somewhat lesser extent Mizzou and K-State. (I've often thought that UMKC should institute baseball or even FCS football if they're really interested in raising their standing in the KC sports market.)

And a thought that came to me was that the Sanford pot of gold could in part be used to buy the Summit League into a much better TV/media configuration than the current Midco Sports Net/ESPN3.
    Call me crazy ("You're Crazy!"), but if St. Thomas goes D-I, could you imagine the possibilities for a D-I intra-cities rivalry with U of M? Not necessarily in Football, but possibly the other sports. That could help build the profile of the League, in addition to having a presence in the Cities.
    I am Ed. Fear me.