Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Beef Bowl GDT vs. Cal Poly

Default Re: Beef Bowl GDT vs. Cal Poly

Defensive thoughts.
    The DEs are very thin and second team players are not making plays. How about moving D Cox to DE? He makes a ton of plays on special teams. How about moving C Lang to DE? He could be the strong side end with his size and it seems his motor runs on every play. Making changes at this position for depth is necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by thumper_76 View Post
    Really hope you're kidding with that last statement. Can't really tell though.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Nidaros View Post
    Not kidding
    I let this lie because of the game happening right after, but do you think that everyone should be assigned a UPD officer as well? Just because you don't drink doesn't mean you get to dictate how others live their lives, fun fact. Stay up in your box if you think it's that awful.
    Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by Hareofthedog View Post

Question?
    Why does Weineke come out so often in the game? He catches a 12 yard pass and comes out. Unless he is hurt the offensive needs the playmakers in the game whether you use him or not on the next play. He is not running fly patterns each play. Often, Goedert and Weineke come out of the game together. Why take your two offensive threats out together? Defenses love when these two guys come out of the game. I am confused on that logic. Yes they need a break but the timing seems odd most of the time.
    I noticed it last year, and it's held true this year: when Wieneke comes out of the game, we run the ball without fail. We never pass when he comes off the field. Wanna bet that opposing DCs have noticed that pattern? Doesn't mean we don't run when he's on the field, but we ALWAYS run when he comes off.

Watch for it next game.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackFan96 View Post
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Quote Originally Posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
    I noticed it last year, and it's held true this year: when Wieneke comes out of the game, we run the ball without fail. We never pass when he comes off the field. Wanna bet that opposing DCs have noticed that pattern? Doesn't mean we don't run when he's on the field, but we ALWAYS run when he comes off.

Watch for it next game.
    I'm of the firm belief that issues like this are why we don't 1.)Go further into the playoffs 2.)lose games we shouldn't 3.)lose to NDSU as many times as we have when even USD and Mo. State have beaten them. Something they feel the need to point out during basketball games.

Quote Originally Posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
    Your last post before this was during the Denver game in the SL tourney when you were ****ting on the heart and commitment of our players. Why do you only come out when SDSU is doing poorly?
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day for one. And I expect upperclassmen to be leaders and coaches to have teams prepared. Lastly, I will happy be the voice opposed to mediocrity. If that becomes my gig, so be it. If you want to log in and defend what we watched last night, so be it.
    Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Quote Originally Posted by Hareofthedog View Post
    Defensive thoughts.
    The DEs are very thin and second team players are not making plays. How about moving D Cox to DE? He makes a ton of plays on special teams. How about moving C Lang to DE? He could be the strong side end with his size and it seems his motor runs on every play. Making changes at this position for depth is necessary.
    I've always thought our defense is a little light,but the pat answer is they favor speed over weight,which I fully understand, but we need at least the LB's that are both physically strong and can carry some weight to shed a block faster, and yet have some speed to cover the scrimmage line sideline to sideline (not necessarily the Pro's size ,but pretty close).

I understand they are hard to recruit, but not impossible either.They plug the holes.To me, runs are contained by the front four and the three linebackers mainly.The other four think pass first and run containment second,and definately are taken out of most run plays by design.This to me is a recruiting problem ,not a player problem,try going up against bigger ,stronger players who are just as quick and fast as you are and try to stop the run,they are handed an uphill battle in that situation and sometimes it's too much to overcome.No one goes out onto a field to lose,so you can't blame the players all the time.Other things must be considered too.

The defense is only as good as it's physical limitations, it's preparedness for the game and the confidence instilled to acheive victory, and willingness to give it your best as a player. Obviously one , or more , of these isn't working.Some games the opponent is just too good period ,that's the physical limitation part,in which case the players and the coaching staff are really blameless,and a loss occurs,but this can't be the explanation we want to accept too many times,obviously.
    Last edited by jackdaniel; 09-18-2016 at 09:14 PM.

Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day for one. And I expect upperclassmen to be leaders and coaches to have teams prepared. Lastly, I will happy be the voice opposed to mediocrity. If that becomes my gig, so be it. If you want to log in and defend what we watched last night, so be it.
    Thanks for the new signature!
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Quote Originally Posted by filbert View Post
    From what I saw, CP consistently beat both SDSU's o-line and d-line--the Mustangs were beating the o-line regularly, causing both problems in the running game and additional training room time for TC, but they were wantonly abusing the d-line.

Difference between the offense and defense is that the offense has a couple of NFL-caliber receivers to lean on, whereas the back end of the defense isn't nearly good enough cover up deficiencies at the line.

31 points at home should be enough to win any game. The offense isn't perfect but it's not what's dragging this team down. The defense, on the other hand--I'll give it one more game before they will have amply earned a label of a **bad** defense.

Not "mediocre," not "average."

Bad.
    My thoughts exactly. Really disappointing loss, missed another chance to make a statement in front of a big crowd.
    ďI used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what Iím with isnít it, and whatís it seems scary and wierd. Itíll happen to you.Ē ó Abe Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by filbert View Post
    From what I saw, CP consistently beat both SDSU's o-line and d-line--the Mustangs were beating the o-line regularly, causing both problems in the running game and additional training room time for TC, but they were wantonly abusing the d-line.

Difference between the offense and defense is that the offense has a couple of NFL-caliber receivers to lean on, whereas the back end of the defense isn't nearly good enough cover up deficiencies at the line.

31 points at home should be enough to win any game. The offense isn't perfect but it's not what's dragging this team down. The defense, on the other hand--I'll give it one more game before they will have amply earned a label of a **bad** defense.

Not "mediocre," not "average."

Bad.
    My thoughts exactly. I won't beat this horse. I am wanting an answer for the reasons this defense is a bad as it is? Personnel problems, recruiting issues, coaching, scheme, preparation..........?? I don't get it.

Especially hard to stomach after the Bison defense shut down a top 10-15 BSC program with a senior QB leading the way. To say I'm disappointed doesn't quite get there.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Quote Originally Posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
    My thoughts exactly. Really disappointing loss, missed another chance to make a statement in front of a big crowd.
    As much as this loss stings, the most damaging aspect is that we seem to lay eggs in front of the big home crowds. In my opinion, those are the biggest opportunities to grow the casual fan into somebody that is more emotionally, and later financially, invested in the program. I think this loss hurts more than just the record. We'll see what attendance looks like the rest of the year, but I fear that was our high water mark for the season.

I don't want this post to seem all doom and gloom, there is still a lot of season left and plenty of opportunities for this team. But, if we want to take the next step as a program and change the impression that we are not a true contender, we need to win our big home games.