Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Replacing Nagy: Who Ya Got?

Originally posted by YanktonJack7 View Post
    Milwaukee has hired Michigan assistant coach LaVall Jordan, per Jeff Goodman, ESPN.
    Former Iowa Assistant under Lickliter - as was MSUM coach Walthall. As a Hawkeye fan anyone from the Lick era gives me hives.

Comment

Originally posted by YanktonJack7 View Post
      Milwaukee has hired Michigan assistant coach LaVall Jordan, per Jeff Goodman, ESPN.
      An alumnus of Butler and assisted Lickliter at Butler as well. He would be very familiar with horizon league.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
        Not meaning this the wrong way, and I understand totally why he is moving. But this is the kind of story that makes me think this was a money, family security, thinking-about-retirement move for the Nagys, and that if SDSU paid its coaches even remotely competitively he might have kept tending the roots in Brookings. Am I missing something? And does this move begin a series of short-term coaches if the pay salary scale remains the same?
        I think it was a if I'm going to leave this is going to have to be the year, win the Summit League, be a 12 seed, have numerous seniors, etc. At 49, being at a place 21 years, you are getting to that point where the calls quit coming, and expectations are not that you are .500, not that you are a top 3 seed, but that you make the tournament or you are a failure. I also think he looked at the facility upgrades that are needed, and wondered if he wanted to go through a construction, fund raising, etc. associated with that.

Another thing I'm sure that has not been brought up, but I'm guessing his assistants are getting a big raise as well.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
          Another thing I'm sure that has not been brought up, but I'm guessing his assistants are getting a big raise as well.
          I am willing to bet that the assistants are at least double what they were here. Clint Sargent only made $31,930 last year, and he wasn't a "true assistant coach." From what I have read, he will be an actual assistant at WSU. Cooley made $49,760. Klink $66,626. Krabbenhoft $56,650.

Comment

Most people who personally know Coach Nagy seem to like and respect him. But to thousands of casual Jacks' fans and other basketball observers (and possibly some donors), he came across as Mr. Grump. He always seemed to be angry and yelling at his players during games and, after games he often complained about how badly the team had played, even after victories. I'm hoping the next coach has a more likeable public persona. It might help grow the fan base and donations.
            This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
              Most people who personally know Coach Nagy seem to like and respect him. But to thousands of casual Jacks' fans and other basketball observers (and possibly some donors), he came across as Mr. Grump. He always seemed to be angry and yelling at his players during games and, after games he often complained about how badly the team had played, even after victories. I'm hoping the next coach has a more likeable public persona. It might help grow the fan base and donations.
              JUST WIN BABY!

Comment

Wins will grow the fan base and donations.

I could care less if the coach is a dick. Don't get the school in trouble, be respectful, win.
                One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                  JUST WIN BABY!
                  This will surprise you coming from a 28 year old coach.

But I feel that is what is wrong with athletics today. All what a coach is suppose to do anymore is praise, you can't yell, can't put down, be negative, etc. Or you get chastised. I coached a junior high team this year that was undefeated, and I'd yell at them all the time because I knew they could be better. I never had a problem with that about Nagy because he would come on in the press conference and tell it like it was.

The only complaint I ever had about Nagy was how players who at times were solid contributors would end up on his bad side and never see the floor again (seemed like it happened a fair amount over the past 10-12 years.) But I'm not at Brookings, I'm not at SDSU, I don't have connections to the program, I don't know about possible injuries, team violations, and those things that outsiders don't know. So I give him the benefit of the doubt on those.

My athletic director said once "the only person you should have to justify your playing time decisions to is me, and I quite frankly don't care."

And I feel Nagy was pretty damn good about that, the media didn't need to know why someone was on the bench, what was going on, and it seemed as though the media got to a point not even to bother asking.

Comment

There are now 10 openings, including SDSU, for head coaches. Georgia Tech is the only one I would classify as definitely being more attractive, and they are probably looking at current head coaches. I would consider Valpo as being equal, or maybe a tiny bit above the Jacks position. The rest - Cornell, Delaware, Dartmouth, Detroit, NJIT, Nicholls State and Stony Brook seem to be at best equal, and most a step below our job. If the Jacks have to be looking for a head coach, it seems that it may be a good time to be searching.

Comment

It depends on salary and contracts at some of those schools.

Cornell, Dartmouth, Detroit and Valpo all have some history.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                        This will surprise you coming from a 28 year old coach.

But I feel that is what is wrong with athletics today. All what a coach is suppose to do anymore is praise, you can't yell, can't put down, be negative, etc. Or you get chastised. I coached a junior high team this year that was undefeated, and I'd yell at them all the time because I knew they could be better.
                        How is the second part of your statement not a direct contradiction of the first? "You can't do this anymore. I do this."

I also coach middle school basketball, and also yelled at my players if it was warranted at the time. So if "what is wrong" with athletics is that coaches "can't yell," but both of us yelled, and other coaches yell ... is that actually a real problem that exists? Or is it more of the "Things aren't like they used to be!" sentiment that happens with every. single. generation?
                        Originally posted by JackFan96
                        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

It sounds like Valpo is hiring from within by giving the job to assistant head coach Matt Lottich. They will officially announce it at 3:30pm.

Comment

Originally posted by mnjackrbt View Post
                            I am willing to bet that the assistants are at least double what they were here. Clint Sargent only made $31,930 last year, and he wasn't a "true assistant coach." From what I have read, he will be an actual assistant at WSU. Cooley made $49,760. Klink $66,626. Krabbenhoft $56,650.
                            There is no question that this is correct. In fact, Krabbenhoft moving to Wisconsin could very well be making what Nagy did here. A solid Big10 program is a whole other level.

Bottom line, to keep from a revolving door moving forward we need to pay more competitively. What we've had the last 15 years in all sports is a fairy tale. Not impossible to happen again but highly unlikely. The best chance to continue that is to give Klinkefus a chance. Frankly, I think he deserves it.

SUPERBUNNY
                            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Anybody have insight on what salary this position might be officially or unofficially advertised at?

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                                There is no question that this is correct. In fact, Krabbenhoft moving to Wisconsin could very well be making what Nagy did here. A solid Big10 program is a whole other level.

Bottom line, to keep from a revolving door moving forward we need to pay more competitively. What we've had the last 15 years in all sports is a fairy tale. Not impossible to happen again but highly unlikely. The best chance to continue that is to give Klinkefus a chance. Frankly, I think he deserves it.

SUPERBUNNY
                                I will have to disagree with you. While I hope he stays on the staff as an assistant, I just don't think he's ready to be a D1 head coach. If we don't want to increase the salary from what Nagy was making, he may be the best option, but I have a feeling Sell is looking for something more and will be increasing the salary.

Comment

Working...
                                X