Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Associate AD

Originally posted by jaysalum1 View Post
    Clearly did not have experience in media relations..... Yikes....bold statement! He must know a little something to be back at Creighton and heading the reins soon. People often talk about perception on this board. Creighton is a much better job athletically than SDSU. SDSU has many years of catch up, NCAA appearances to make, and plays in a conference that is trying to get better but is not quite there. Creighton has been there and done that. I don't know either guy...but I do know a tremendous amount about my alam mater and I would bet a large sum of money that he must have ALL the tools necessary for Mr. Rassmussen, who is a big wig in the NCAA, to have confidence in to take over the helm.
    I would have to agree. Mark Burgers had plenty of media experience with his work at Creighton before he came to SDSU. I'd say he did what he could on that front during his short stint here.

Comment

Jaysalum: Mark was director of sales at Creighton before he came here. Sales. That's not media contracts.

Let's just say there's a big difference between selling ads for the scoreboard and negotiating six-figure, all-inclusive media contracts. Leon was involved in negotiating UNI's recent, 8-year contract with Learfield Sports. I don't know what that was worth, but if it wasn't near a million bucks, I'd be very surprised.

Mark did a nice job here. He got our coaches shows and game rebroadcasts on Mediacom and Midcontinent. Those relationships that he built are paying off now with our recent televised games and the Summit Tournament broadcast. Saying that Leon has more experience in media contracts hardly undermines Mark. For some reason, jaysalum, you feel like you have to defend Mark Burgers. Nobody's criticizing Mark and he clearly left a good impression at SDSU. Obviously he's a talented young man who has done very well. I worked with him while he was here and found him to be very bright and capable.

But he's gone. And Leon, who has experience negotiating big media contracts, is here. I'm mostly interested in what that means for the future of our media content. Maybe it means Learfield comes in after a couple of years. For those who don't know, Learfield determines the potential value of your revenue sports on all media, they then contract to produce it (and sell it). The athletic department gets paid for media but doesn't have to engage staff in ongoing production or sales. Learfield does all of that. Basically, they're betting that they can sell your content for more than they pay you and they take on all of that responsibility. That gives the department a sure revenue stream and frees up staff, while potentially bringing content to more listeners and viewers.

Learfield does that for dozens of athletic programs. It is an interesting idea.
      Last edited by JimmyJack; 03-01-2010, 06:36 AM.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Learfield does lots of big-name programs . . . they're based out of Jefferson City, MO and do the radio broadcast production for Missouri, Kansas State, and many others. They're big-time.

Learfield Communications
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Clearly did not have experience in media relations..... Yikes....bold statement! He must know a little something to be back at Creighton and heading the reins soon. People often talk about perception on this board. Creighton is a much better job athletically than SDSU. SDSU has many years of catch up, NCAA appearances to make, and plays in a conference that is trying to get better but is not quite there. Creighton has been there and done that. I don't know either guy...but I do know a tremendous amount about my alam mater and I would bet a large sum of money that he must have ALL the tools necessary for Mr. Rassmussen, who is a big wig in the NCAA, to have confidence in to take over the helm.
          Until I see a football program at Creighton don't come on here and puff your chest about how Creighton is a much better job athletically than SDSU. Your a nice small private school in a big town and good conference, but will always play second fiddle to UNL.

Comment

i'm not huffing and puffing...just stating facts. director of sales or any other position at Creighton/SDSU or any other small school carries alot of other duties as assigned that are not seen by onlookers. where i disagreed was the terminology used. Leon will do a great job at a great school...no doubt. Bringing football into the equation....not reallly relevant. UNL football is huge....Creighton basketball is much bigger than UNL basketball. At SDSU's level....men's bb has to be king because of the NCAA monies involved....simple business model. not intending to see who can throw the rock further....two talented people! SDSU will hopefully be able to hang on too Leon for a longer time period.

Comment

two talented people! SDSU will hopefully be able to hang on too Leon for a longer time period.
              Well said. And thanks for the negative rep points.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

... Creighton is a much better job athletically than SDSU. SDSU has many years of catch up, NCAA appearances to make, and plays in a conference that is trying to get better but is not quite there. Creighton has been there and done that. ...
                Hmm. SDSU is a bigger school that offers more sports. Got to go with JGII on this count.
                This space for lease.

Comment

I don't even know what rep points are?? My naivety is showing through on message boards I guess. We all agree to disagree on certain points. That's what makes they boards alluring to so many people.

Comment

I don't even know what rep points are?? My naivety is showing through on message boards I guess. We all agree to disagree on certain points. That's what makes they boards alluring to so many people.
                    Screw Creighton!! Just kidding.

On a more serious note, we need another home football game. Are the Jays interested? (couldn't resist)

Smack in a non-smack thread, sorry. To the corner for me.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

In Omaha....you will see an occasional t-shirt that says...."Creighton football...still undefeated" Great shirt poking fun at themselves/us. Not having football at CU when I was there....I have definitely loved making the Jacks my team.

Comment

Working...
                      X