Jackrabbit Radio Network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackrabbit Radio Network

My understanding, the current radio agreements are likely to change. New AD, new expectations, changes often follow. I know things are changing with our membership group.

I believe the current agreement with WNAX is due to expire/change very soon. I assume its at the end of this years basketball season. I foresee a couple of options. WNAX retains the rights at an increased cost that it must recover through increased ad dollars or the rights go up for "auction" with the highest bidder given an opportunity to find their niche.

I love WNAX and don't want to see a change but business is business.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: Jackrabbit Radio Network

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
    My understanding, the current radio agreements are likely to change. New AD, new expectations, changes often follow. I know things are changing with our membership group.

I believe the current agreement with WNAX is due to expire/change very soon. I assume its at the end of this years basketball season. I foresee a couple of options. WNAX retains the rights at an increased cost that it must recover through increased ad dollars or the rights go up for "auction" with the highest bidder given an opportunity to find their niche.

I love WNAX and don't want to see a change but business is business.
    WNAX toyed with USD back in 1990 when they up their price and SDSU declined to make a match, but we got them back 2 or 3 years later. I think SDSU better come ready to negiotiate as our friends in red might not give up as easy as they did in the early 1990's and this time if we lose WNAX, it could have a big impact and the USD people are little smarter than before.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      WNAX toyed with USD back in 1990 when they up their price and SDSU declined to make a match, but we got them back 2 or 3 years later. I think SDSU better come ready to negiotiate as our friends in red might not give up as easy as they did in the early 1990's and this time if we lose WNAX, it could have a big impact and the USD people are little smarter than before.
      I don't think the ball is on WNAX's court. I think SDSU is calling the shots this time.

Comment

Originally posted by couger71 View Post
        I don't think the ball is on WNAX's court. I think SDSU is calling the shots this time.
        What couger said. I think Sell is expecting a little change in the arrangement. Now, I'm not speaking for him or for WNAX just trying to stir things up a bit on the forum. Censor me if need be.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

My understanding, the talks that are under way to continue the relationship between SDSU and WNAX are progressing well. I, for one, hope WNAX remains as the primary radio source for Jackrabbit athletics.

Comment

My understanding, the talks that are under way to continue the relationship between SDSU and WNAX are progressing well. I, for one, hope WNAX remains as the primary radio source for Jackrabbit athletics.
            It's nice to have one of the strongest signals in the upper mid-west, with a strong appeal to our rural fan base as the voice of the Jacks. I caught many a football game at the southern outskirts of Omaha via WNAX.

Comment

Definitely need WNAX carrying SDSU events. I was a little concerned that Joel Nielsen might try to make a pitch as he seemed to have more savy than Jack Doyle and Kelly Higgins put together. So I am a bit weary of Nielsen successor who might be more attuned to the importance of media including radio, so this is not the time to be flippant in dealing with WNAX. I say lets get the deal done and try to get the best deal possible but do not get too pushy.

The night time signal towards Nebaska is one I do not understand as you might get past the Norfolk and it fades to nothing. Before interenet, living in Columbus, I drove to Norfolk 45 miles north to hear the Elite Eight game that was about 1992 in which we lost in the first round. No signal at all in Columbus 100 miles south of Yankton at night. Wierd, but it has to do with tranmitter directional positions required by the FCC so I been told.

Comment

I don't think a new USD administration can get in at WNAX. SDSU is the largest university in the state, SDSU has closer ties to the ag community WNAX serves, WNAX has history with SDSU, they've actually expanded their commitment to SDSU athletics (now carrying WBB when not conflicting with MBB) in the past year, and the new guy at SDSU is pretty media savvy.

Comment

I think the more or less equal priorities--at least IMHO--for a new and expanded Jackrabbit Sports Network include:

1: Continuing to have WNAX and KJJQ as the co-flagship stations of the network, possibly joined by one of the Sioux Falls stations (to originate a post-game call-in show, for instance)--and this especially includes continuing to have Steve Imming be the "Voice of the Jackrabbits";

2: Getting the Jackrabbits on a Sioux Falls-originated radio station (or two sister stations for men's and for women's sports). I think this is critical to the extent of being #1B if not higher. If SDSU wants to be a local Sioux Falls sports product it needs to be on a local Sioux Falls radio station. WNAX's signal into SF is pretty good but it's still not a local Sioux Falls station. Giving the SF station co-flagship status with KJJQ and WNAX and letting them produce the post-game call-in shows for football and men's and women's basketball would I think be a good relationship for everybody concerned. It would give the SF station some wider statewide exposure, and it would give SDSU a better claim to be a hometown school for Sioux Falls. Tying this into a more extensive TV contract--and cross-promoting the TV coverage and the radio network would also generate "buzz," calls to the post-game show, listener for the network radio stations (for guys making beer runs during half time--you know you've done it once or twice . . .), et cetera.

3: Having the contract allowing the marketing of the programming product to Rapid City, Aberdeen, and the other radio markets in the state instead of having it exclusive to WNAX;

I could probably go on, but I'm tired, I need to pack for the trip home from the San Antonio women's Final Four, and I'm as upset as a Tennessee-fan-by-marriage can possibly be that UConn won again.
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                    I don't think a new USD administration can get in at WNAX. SDSU is the largest university in the state, SDSU has closer ties to the ag community WNAX serves, WNAX has history with SDSU, they've actually expanded their commitment to SDSU athletics (now carrying WBB when not conflicting with MBB) in the past year, and the new guy at SDSU is pretty media savvy.
                    This is all true, but each time SDSU has a contract renewed they are dealing with different management at WNAX, often people who are not living in SD and are pure bottom line people. Thats why nothing should be taken for granted.

Comment

The Jackrabbits did have select Football, and Men's & Women's Basketball games broadcast in Rapid City on FM 99.5 ESPN Radio Rapid City. I hope this opportunity grows in this coming season.

http://www.995espn.com/

Go State!

Comment

Honestly, I'm not worrying about this at all.

I think we should give Leon Costello and Tyler Merriam the benefit of the doubt here. They understand how to put together the best possible radio network for Jackrabbit athletics.

Also, there are two years on the WNAX contract.

So it's premature, I think, to worry about what happens with WNAX.
                        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                          Honestly, I'm not worrying about this at all.

I think we should give Leon Costello and Tyler Merriam the benefit of the doubt here. They understand how to put together the best possible radio network for Jackrabbit athletics.

Also, there are two years on the WNAX contract.

So it's premature, I think to worry about what happens with WNAX.
                          I agree, no reason to worry. The current contract is in place through this year. SDSU came to WNAX and informed them that there would be some changes after the current contract is up. Therefore, discussion is under way to determine if both sides can be satisfied.

The long and short of things, the arrangement as it is now will be changing.

Comment

I agree, no reason to worry. The current contract is in place through this year. SDSU came to WNAX and informed them that there would be some changes after the current contract is up. Therefore, discussion is under way to determine if both sides can be satisfied.

The long and short of things, the arrangement as it is now will be changing.
                            And I would bet that whatever the new arrangement is, it'll be better for SDSU and better for fans, too.
                            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Working...
                            X