Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Justin Sell on TV's live chat 8/20/09...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Justin Sell on TV's live chat 8/20/09...

Keep an eye on your letters to the editor sections if you have home town players on any team... I have a feeling that the first wave of getting people involved was started yesterday... All I can say at this point. sorry.

Comment

Re: Justin Sell on TV's live chat today...

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
      My opinion, the fieldhouse should be the priority. It can be used by multiple programs and will be used EVERYDAY. Right now, our biggest deficit as it pertains to recruiting is the lack of a first class everday practice facility, weight room, etc....

Although CAS is far from perfect it is adequate for the gameday experience. Fieldhouse first, CAS later.
      I think the next chance anybody gets to question Justin Sell, they should ask him to clarify what the priorities are. Just from what he has said, it appears to me that the stadium is #1 for him. I don't know what makes more sense. And it may be that they're co-#1's depending on where the money is coming from.

But we should ask.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
        I think the next chance anybody gets to question Justin Sell, they should ask him to clarify what the priorities are. Just from what he has said, it appears to me that the stadium is #1 for him. I don't know what makes more sense. And it may be that they're co-#1's depending on where the money is coming from.

But we should ask.
        I asked Justin Sell last week in the live chat with TV. This is what he stated:

2:04 [Comment From Guest]
        What is the pecking order for sport facility projects?
        2:04 JS: I would say it's pretty even between renovating CAS, continuining work on the Dykhouse Center and building a new indoor practice facility. Finishing baseball and softball are priorities as well.

Comment

I think the biggest need from an athlete perspective is the fieldhouse. What can help pay for a fieldhouse is a CAS with more premium seats, suites, concesions etc. That is why I think CAS and it's needs should be put first as it's potentially the biggest moneymaker we have!

Comment

Originally posted by leeshajo View Post
            Keep an eye on your letters to the editor sections if you have home town players on any team... I have a feeling that the first wave of getting people involved was started yesterday... All I can say at this point. sorry.
            What do you mean?
            Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
              I asked Justin Sell last week in the live chat with TV. This is what he stated:

2:04 [Comment From Guest]
              What is the pecking order for sport facility projects?
              2:04 JS: I would say it's pretty even between renovating CAS, continuining work on the Dykhouse Center and building a new indoor practice facility. Finishing baseball and softball are priorities as well.
              Right, and that is a change from what we've been told before: That the Dykhouse Center and indoor facility were clearly alone at the top of the list.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                Right, and that is a change from what we've been told before: That the Dykhouse Center and indoor facility were clearly alone at the top of the list.
                Clearly there is something behind the scences that we do not know about such as major donations or corporate sponsorships towards CAS that would make this a change in priorities. I am strictly guessing here. Or maybe Justin just got his details turned around. The poor guy has been out there no more than three months and spoken to many groups and individuals, and I can see where he might get his details turned around. If what he said in the chat was in error, I for one will forgive him. All these projects are on the board and the order of completion is kind of secondary.

I would think the Dykhouse and indoor would be first too, but who knows what the facts are.

Comment

My guess, and that's just what it is, the SF print media and outsiders hammer so much on how inadequate CAS is. Want better? Sure and it will come! But for our use, the indoor practice facility would serve many more sports/athletes virtually every day of the year. Buy your power ball tickets, buy a vinyard, leverage your favorite stock, you may have a say in the ranking of the priority list!

Comment

I'm guessing that if there's a change it's more likely related to the potential revenue streams that a new stadium would create. We're talking pretty serious money for luxury boxes, club seats, naming rights, sponsorships, etc. That's money that comes in every year.

In contrast an indoor practice facility and completed Dykhouse Center don't "create" new money. They're necessary, of course, to remain competitive. But I'm sure the AD is looking for new revenue sources, and a stadium is a biggy.
                    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Well, I would still give you odds on the practice facility being the first one to actually get done. President Chicoine gave the go-ahead last year to Dr. Oien to get a study started on the football stadium facility. That is an ongoing process right now and ballpark costs will be among the info needed.

As a part of that process, consultants will examine the level of support available for the suites, corporate sponsorship, etc. From that will spring the timetable, which might be medium long, or long-long. It's true there is money to be gotten from the stadium, but remember, we get 16,000 in there right now for ticket sales, so the other perks (suites, etc.) have to generate a huge amount of money when you start talking about what the stadium will cost.

I would not be surprised if the project came in two stages. Build the new east side (maybe not as high as the west now. (Add a cantilevered section above it down the road as needed.) Then, when the time is right, the money available along with corporate guarantees, etc., tear down the west side and build a new west side stadium with sky boxes, press boxes, etc. In that case, it would certainly be possible the first stage might precede the indoor facility.

The argument for the indoor facility, is that we live in a tough climate and with no facility for inclement weather practice for all our outdoor sports, recruiting against our competition continues to get even tougher. And without the recruiting, and the resulting competitive teams, you are in a Catch-22 situation IMHO.

Don't read too much into Justin Sells answer to the question...in my short time around him and in visiting with him, he's a very smart person...and he knows a middle of the road answer to a question of which is at the top of the list, satisfies the various constituences better.

Comment

A friend of mine recently sent Sell an email talking about speaking to a Sioux Falls Sertoma group. Sell responded to him right away and agreed to speak at their luncheon and they are lining up a date. When they settle on a date I'll post it on here. I was real impressed that Sell, a very, very busy man right now, agreed so quickly and willingly to do it.

Comment

Justin Sell was on the Sports Show today. You can listen to be going to www.Brookingsradio.com

http://www.brookingsradio.com/sports-show.html
                          We...ARE...STATE!
                          SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                            Clearly there is something behind the scences that we do not know about such as major donations or corporate sponsorships towards CAS that would make this a change in priorities. I am strictly guessing here. Or maybe Justin just got his details turned around. The poor guy has been out there no more than three months and spoken to many groups and individuals, and I can see where he might get his details turned around. If what he said in the chat was in error, I for one will forgive him. All these projects are on the board and the order of completion is kind of secondary.

I would think the Dykhouse and indoor would be first too, but who knows what the facts are.
                            At the Sertoma Park luncheon in Sioux Falls last week, I spoke to Mr. Sell and when the subject turned toward building projects he said that the Fieldhouse/Indoor Practice facility and Football stadium projects where clearly 2 seperate project but his opinion is that they will have 2 very different funding sources and can potentially be developed at the same time. He also confirmed that the stadium feasability study is now officially underway.
                            The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Working...
                            X