This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Fred Oien article

I was not going to post any more in this thread. However, I have a problem with posts like the foregoing. The questions posed by TeaJackrabbit are not honest questions (merely proclaiming them "honest questions" just doesn't work). At least one is based on a false premise (which I know from personal knowledge) and, since TeaJackrabbit asked one question without knowing the underlying fact, then there is some likelihood the remainder of his "questions" are based on conjecture -- no personal knowledge of the "fact" on which the question is based.

Questions like those do not merit any attention and they cause harm because they imply or suggest a fact that may not be true (and in the case of one of the "questions", is not true).

Illustration: I had a buddy in college who regularly made jokes using "questions" having no basis in fact. He'd walk into a public place and spot someone he knew and ask in a loud voice a question which implied some outrageous underlying fact: "Hey, you still sleeping with your sister?" It always got a laugh.

The problem with such questions on this thread is they're not funny and they cause harm by giving false impressions.

And now I'm going to leave for work in my old vehicle, knowing full well that I'm being judged a misfit by some because I like my old vehicle. I am planning on having pie at lunch.
    Well JackJD, they were honest questions, but I understand what you are getting at here.

What I was saying is this....some people on here want to sweep this under a rug or act as though that darned Argus was on a witchhunt or that it's disgruntled former employees, etc. Fine. But if you're going to do that, if you're going to get your panties in a bunch b/c you were friends w/ Fred, then the answers to the questions I asked would be easy.

You're either upset b/c it was reported to begin with. If that's the case then I ask, who made it a story? Or you're upset b/c you doubt the credibility of the reporter or the issues raised in the article. So then I ask, why on earth would TV lie? And it's not like TV to do an article (especially like this) "half-assed".

Comment

And now I'm going to leave for work in my old vehicle, knowing full well that I'm being judged a misfit by some because I like my old vehicle. I am planning on having pie at lunch.
      We're having a little fun w/ this, which is good.

But I'll repeat what I said before. Sure it's silly to judge someone based on the appearance of what they drive, however untidy or unkept it might be. The reason I brought it up on here and at this time is b/c the judgement I passed that day appears to be spot-on.

Comment

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post
        We're having a little fun w/ this, which is good.

But I'll repeat what I said before. Sure it's silly to judge someone based on the appearance of what they drive, however untidy or unkept it might be. The reason I brought it up on here and at this time is b/c the judgement I passed that day appears to be spot-on.
        Its easy to pass judgment on a public forum about someone and something you know little about. Its also classless and petty. I'm not saying that TJ is classless and petty but his approach to this subject thus far is. Making assumptions based on a one-sided story from a newspaper reporter is not something I'd advise. I could make my own assumptions about the motivations behind this story but I'm not going to that.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

It is comments like these that really drive me up a wall on this board. I find the posting of comments when the poster knows literally nothing about the situation...well, maddening. Simple questions...simple answers: The employee notified his employer he was going to resign, because he had decided the timing was right (biggest assignment concluded successfully and he was worn out). He calculated the amount of leave time available (a lot since his job rarely allowed personal time) which left his resignation date several months down the road. He took the advice of his mentor, a former AD, that when you leave the job, you walk away and stay away until a new person has your job and can establish his own standing...and you don't meddle in your employers search for a replacement. End of questions...end of answers...and end of this thread for me. (Supporters will continue to question the "questions", critics will continue to question the "answers" so further conversation is fruitless.)

P.S. Fred Oien was at the Summit tournament. And I know he is already looking forward to being a Jackrabbit fan beginning with tailgating next fall. And Stu Whitney (yeh, JJ, like all this was Terry's doing...when there is no doubt where his boss has been and is on this "non-story") will continue to be the Stu Whitney we all know.
          You have a dog in the hunt, which I thinks clouds your thinking here. That is totally understandable.

I have said on here before that I don't have near the SDSU background as many of you on here. I don't want to hear this stuff about the AD or former AD at SDSU either. But at the same time I'm glad we had the guy and I am proud of what he accomplished.

So, since I know "literally nothing about the situation" am I to believe that pretty much everything not flattering that was printed about Fred is false?

I remember when I would come home from school after a fight. My dad wasn't mad at the kid I was fighting with, he was mad at me. My dad never ignored or downplayed my shortcomings simply b/c he loved me. Doesn't mean he loved me any less, it just means I didn't get a free pass.

Comment

Just wondering when the negative stories about the other SD Universities are coming out in the Argus. 2 big ones on SDSU in the last 2 weeks. Seems to me we are at the top of the hit list.

Comment

Its easy to pass judgment on a public forum about someone and something you know little about. Its also classless and petty. I'm not saying that TJ is classless and petty but his approach to this subject thus far is. Making assumptions based on a one-sided story from a newspaper reporter is not something I'd advise. I could make my own assumptions about the motivations behind this story but I'm not going to that.
              Agreed. But, these concerns and issues were out there well before this article was written. Some are even calling it a non-story b/c nothing new was brought up.

The only thing I have done that could be considered classless was the fact that I said 5+ years ago I made a judgement based on what Fred was driving and the condition it was in. If those of you who shake their head at me are better than that, then congrats. I really mean that. If you never pass judgement on someone based on appearance or their job or how they dress or where they live or how they act in public or what they type on a message board then you are a far better person than me. I can honestly say that I am a good person and treat everyone I come in contact with w/ the utmost respect, but I do pass judgement on people. It doesn't mean I look down on them, but it's true. Just one of my many weaknesses I suppose.

It is not classless or petty to question the contents of the article. You may not want me to, but my motives are just. Again, Dr. Oien did a great job at SDSU and I'm darn glad he was in our corner the last 5+ years.

Comment

I commend this intellectual exercise to everyone.

Replace "Fred Oien" with "Stu Whitney" and "SDSU" with "Argus-Leader" in the article, and notice how, if at all, your reaction changes.

For me, not so much.

I think Stu has let slip the true agenda behind the article in his blog entry--the editors of the Argus want unfettered, unlimited access to State personnel records, and wants to use this story to get it. I don't think Fred Oien, per se, has anything in particular to do with it, he's just a convenient cudgel with which to bash SDSU and the State.

Having once been a state employee myself, I think the Argus editors should be told in no uncertain terms to go pound sand, but I guess reasonable people could disagree.
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                  I commend this intellectual exercise to everyone.

Replace "Fred Oien" with "Stu Whitney" and "SDSU" with "Argus-Leader" in the article, and notice how, if at all, your reaction changes.

For me, not so much.

I think Stu has let slip the true agenda behind the article in his blog entry--the editors of the Argus want unfettered, unlimited access to State personnel records, and wants to use this story to get it. I don't think Fred Oien, per se, has anything in particular to do with it, he's just a convenient cudgel with which to bash SDSU and the State.

Having once been a state employee myself, I think the Argus editors should be told in no uncertain terms to go pound sand, but I guess reasonable people could disagree.
                  Rather than get angry at TEAJACKRABBIT, I will instead say amen to Filberts post and give him some deserved rep points.

Comment

Count me as having a dog in this hunt too, since I know Fred for about 33 years. I do wish that Fred and I had been born in such a perfect world as that TEAJACKRABBIT SEEMS to have had. He had perfect parents and they made a lot of money etc etc. So I guess he will not be happy until he gets to publicly flog Dr Oien, and the entire SDSU adminstration. Sometimes I really wonder about your loyality to SDSU. It seems superficial at best.
                    The people who were close to Fred are easy to spot on this topic.

I am loyal (does it help that just 20 minutes ago I was outside unwrapping my SDSU banner from around the pole from which it hangs?)....but I'm not blindly loyal. I like the Dallas Cowboys but could not cheer for T.O.

I have not "flogged" Dr. Oien and certainly not the entire SDSU administration. You want to give him a free pass, fine.

Comment

Rather than get angry at TEAJACKRABBIT, I will instead say amen to Filberts post and give him some deserved rep points.
                      So there really was no issue w/ Fred at all, it's just a conspiracy by the Argus Leader.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                        You can also call the alumni center and they will mail the decals to you.
                        Yep, this is exactly how my wife got mine. Isn't she sweet, its honestly one of my favorite surprises in the past couple of years.
                        The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Yep, this is exactly how my wife got mine. Isn't she sweet, its honestly one of my favorite surprises in the past couple of years.
                          Not knowing about the "official" $30 SDSU sticker I bought the organizational plates and ordered SDSU stickers from the bookstore. It's the old blue and yellow SD logo but it's bigger and more noticeable that the "official" one. Cheaper too, I think the stickers were $4

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
                            Well, I hate to break it to you, but I think you just defined "internet message board."

And just because one of Tea's questions is false, doesn't mean the rest of his are invalid. That's bad logic.
                            RO is right about the general nature of an internet message board: they have the potential to get pretty rough and tumble.

On the second point, I respectifully disagree. I do not view it so much as an issue about the application of formal logic. (The worst person in the world may think in a logical manner; some of mankind's best acts fly in the face of what makes logical sense.) This is an issue about credibility and how much weight one should give to what another person is saying or, in this case, suggesting by "honest questions". Not really an analogy but just a related point taken from the place where I spend a little time: When it appears a witness has testified falsely in court, a common jury instruction given in courtrooms advises: "If you believe that any witness testifying in this case has knowingly sworn falsely to any material matter in this case, then you may reject all of the testimony of the witness." The instruction has roots dating back 100s of years. Even has its own name Falsus in uno; falsus in omnibus.)

When I see a question which is also a statement that Dr. Oien was not at the Summit League Tourney, I know that's a load of Bison excrement: I said hello to Dr. Oien at the Summit League Tourney. I am critical of those types of "questions" because they suggest something false that implies something negative.

Now, on TV's article, I don't have a lot of heartburn about the Argus having run the story and what TV wrote. My initial reaction remains unchanged: pretty bland stuff and nothing new. Had the article come out back in January or February, it would have had a lot more sizzle for readers, I suppose, and so I am thankful for the timing because I think its impact on SDSU will be minimal and short-lived.

Comment

And give me negative ones since I dare disagree with you. Sheesh.

Comment

Hey, negative rep points are flying freely today. I picked one up myself.

Comment

Working...
                                X