This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fred Oien article

If there is a good time, now is it. School is out, the major revenue generating sports are not in session. What's wrong with the timing?

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
    I agree there isn't a good time. Like JummyJack said, it is a tough article. To do it now just doesn't make sense to me. I could have better stated it that it just shouldn't have come out at all.

The article just wasn't filled with a lot of substance. It is definitely a splashy headline and I'm sure sold some papers but it wasn't a quality piece. And I would have labeled it a quality piece had there been more quotes from others that give it more credence. Daly and Underwood? Come on. Outside of that Micah is the only quote and I respect him a lot.

That thing should have gone in the round file as Nidaros suggested.

SUPERBUNNY

Comment

In retrospect, it was probably the best time for it. Didn't want it coming out during the WBB run to the tournament. Didn't wantit coming out during the search for a new AD to overshadow that. Didn't want it to come out any later else it would have lost any more relevance that it already has. Like it was mentioned before school is out and the new AD has been hired. Its time to move on.

Comment

I understand the reasoning behind the article. Fred was/is a public figure. Maybe this is obvious, but I think the news nugget that would have justified it running would have been if it became clear that the events around Fred's departure indeed were different than what the university represented to the public.

Question: TV interview more than 24 sources for the story. Only a few went on the record. He didn't quote any anonymously. Is that because none offered anything new or additive? Or is it Argus policy to avoid or to not quote anonymous sources period?
        @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
        --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Personally, I think a big reason Vandrovec wrote the story is because he wasn't around the SDSU program for most of it, and it was news to him.

I'd have to quibble with the newsworthiness today of Fred's alleged inebriation at the 2008 Summit League tournament in Tulsa. In 2008, that would have been news. It's not really news now. Over a year later, it's just a curiosity at best, but I guess it does allow those who need to wallow in what a bad man Fred Oien was to wallow a little while more.

Keep holding on tight to it, or let it go. Everybody gets to make that choice.

The king is dead. Long live the king.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

If Stu wrote this article, it wouldn't have been nearly as even handed.

Oien had issues. They were under investigation last fall. In the middle of winter, having (probably) reached his 59 1/2 years and 'rule of 85' (age + years of state employment if he was under the SDRS), he retired.

IMO, if that investigation is circumstantially connected to his retirement, it is relevant and newsworthy, inasmuch as SDSU just went through the process of hiring a new AD potentially because the old AD was under investigation for improper conduct.

--

Regarding Daly trashing Oien, take a good look at his quote:

“Fred was not always the easiest person to be a head coach under,” said Daly, the former football coach who now lives in Sioux Falls. “We faced challenges, and that made it probably a little more uneasy than it needed to be.”
            That's the only quote from Mike Daly in the article.

--

And as far as all this being 'dredged up from 10 years ago', the article details conduct from just over a year ago (the 2008 Summit Basketball tourney).

--

I mean, I'm sorry that Oien is the focus of this kind of publicity, but the fact is, he occupies a very public position, second only to Chicoine's, in representing SDSU, and if he was slurring his words and having difficulty walking at a conference hosted event last spring, that reflects poorly on the university.

akaJG nailed it on the Argus website: 'TV didn't write this story, Oien did.'

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
              Over a year later, it's just a curiosity at best
              except it apparently helped precipitate an investigation that led to Oien's retirement and the hiring of a new AD.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
                He didn't quote any anonymously. Is that because none offered anything new or additive? Or is it Argus policy to avoid or to not quote anonymous sources period?
                I suspect that TV would've buried the story if the anonymous sources didn't confirm what Grenz said.

Comment

Anybody wonder if maybe Dr. Oien took a look at things and realized that maybe he needed to focus more on himself and his personal health? His position was certainly one associated with a lot of stress. Do you suppose that stress lead to some of the episodes quoted in the article? I'm not asking anyone to feel sorry for Dr. Oien, I'm sure he isn't interested in anyone feeling sorry for him. Fred is a man, men make mistakes, they have shortcomings.

Try and see it from the perspective of the guy who the story is about. The guy whose legacy, IMHO, should be about what he did for SDSU, his staff, his students, the community of Brookings and the state of SD not about the cracks in the armor brought about be his own indiscretions and the nature of his position in society.

That said, the article has generated public discussion about a guy that was relegated to a position of "watching from the wings" as his hard work and passion were being paid off. It brings to light not only the "bad things" about Fred but also allows for discussion about the "good things". I suppose that was some of the intent, at least I hope so.

Lastly, he has personality flaws, he misused alcohol, he made a fool of himself on occasion. Now, you decide who that he is and whether that he deserves a 2 page article in the largest newspaper in the state. Remember the he could be anybody.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                    Personally, I think a big reason Vandrovec wrote the story is because he wasn't around the SDSU program for most of it, and it was news to him.

I'd have to quibble with the newsworthiness today of Fred's alleged inebriation at the 2008 Summit League tournament in Tulsa. In 2008, that would have been news. It's not really news now. Over a year later, it's just a curiosity at best, but I guess it does allow those who need to wallow in what a bad man Fred Oien was to wallow a little while more.

Keep holding on tight to it, or let it go. Everybody gets to make that choice.

The king is dead. Long live the king.
                    Bingo filbert! Everyone makes their choice on the issue and there will never be a consensus.

I said what I had to say and am moving on. All the best to Fred in his retirement.

I look forward to getting to know Mr. Sell and wish him all the best as our new AD.

SUPERBUNNY
                    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I give rep points to anyone who says its time to move on.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                        If Stu wrote this article, it wouldn't have been nearly as even handed.
                        True, if Stu wrote the article he would have concluded it by stating that Oien left the athletic department in a shambles and that the new AD has a huge task ahead of him. We all know that is not true, but Stu would have stated it anyway.

Stu would also point out that the Dykhouse is not fully funded and that he left in the middle of construction. However, there are always facilities being constructed or remodeled on campus and if he had to wait until they were all completed, Fred could never retire. And fund raising is also a never ending process.

Terry did a good job of stating facts and quoting those that wanted to be quoted a chance to voice their opinion. He did not interject his own opinion on the matter, much like Stu would have.

In conclusion, the athletic department is light years ahead of were it was when Dr. Oien arrived. If you going to be the athletic director and be successful, there will be carnage along the way.

Like the old saying says, if your going to make an omelette, you have to break some eggs. Some of those broken eggs had their day by making statements that were quoted in the article.

I still feel that Dr. Oien did a great job leading the university through the Division 1 transition and most of the coaches on the staff are top notch coaches and represent the university the right way.

edit:

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                        Oh, and it is time to move on.

Go State!!!
                        Go Jacks!!!
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)
                        (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post

Originally posted by Evolution Prime View Post
                          In retrospect, it was probably the best time for it. Didn't want it coming out during the WBB run to the tournament. Didn't wantit coming out during the search for a new AD to overshadow that. Didn't want it to come out any later else it would have lost any more relevance that it already has. Like it was mentioned before school is out and the new AD has been hired. Its time to move on.

Oh an if anyone wants to know what kind of car I drive, its an '05 Ford Escape.

Comment

It's time to move on... and I drive a 1999 Chevy Malibu... with SDSU organization plates!
                            I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

For lunch, I had pie, sitting on the hood of my 11-year old Tahoe with 158,000 miles on it.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                                For lunch, I had pie, sitting on the hood of my 11-year old Tahoe with 158,000 miles on it.
                                My 95 Tahoe died at 160,000. I moved on to a 2006 Chevy Silverado with a Duramax Diesel. My trucks got SDSU organization plates too.
                                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                                X