Argus reports "SDSU's cozy deal questioned"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Argus reports "SDSU's cozy deal questioned"

As noted, I just decided to check a few companies which were familiar to me. Some of the college officials serving on board were from private institutions while others were from public institutions. It took just a few minutes to go to each corporation's site and find a list of the Directors.

There are many examples of leaders of public institutions serving on the boards of large corporations. Here are three more examples of Presidents serving on the boards of private corporations.

University of Virginia: President, John T. Casteen III, has extensive service on boards, both public and private, including present service as a director of Wachovia Corporation (banking).

University of California (Berkeley): Robert J. Birgeneau, President, is a director of Cabot Microelectronics Corporation (semiconductor equipment and materials).

Pennsylvania State U: Graham B. Spanier, President, is a director of US Steel Corporation.

Incidently, you can do some of your own checking by such sources as the universities themselves, general Google searches, checking "Forbes.com" and, of course, going to the public information on publicly-traded corporations.

I'm confident that if I (or you) wanted to spend the time digging, countless examples of presidents, chancellors, deans, professors and others associated with public institutions are serving on boards of business corporations.

I assume the Regents will keep an eye on this matter as will the press and the public in general.

As far as the comment about SDSU not being a public institution...I think the poster is pointing out that SDSU is no longer publicly supported (as in "entirely" or even "mostly" publicly supported). It certainly receives public support but it could not function without funding from private sources. Many of us refer to the state institutions as receiving public assistance -- something less than full public support. (This isn't unique to South Dakota.)

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
      Harvard, Stanford, Trinity, Brown, Dartmouth, Georgetown are all private universities. Isn't the Mayo Clinic a private, not-for-profit collective?
      As a graduate of State (who casually knew the senator but hasn't seen him in at least 25 years) and later a grad-level fellowship student at Stanford, I can personally attest to the difference. The former is the public university of all the citizens of the state; the latter confines its interest more narrowly to alumni and students. One is overseen by a public, citizen board of regents, the other by a private board of visitors.

The president of another land grant university, Ohio State's Gordon Gee, last month resigned http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...v2WkQD98G1EU80 over from a mining company board after long-standing claims that it conflicted with his university position. Attack the messenger, if you will, but legitimate questions have been raised.
      I wouldn't say the questions are illegitimate. But it IS common. I just checked on two land grant universities, Oklahoma State and Purdue University, and both presidents (Hargis from OSU and Cordova from Purdue) are on multiple corporate boards. If I had the time, and if I wasn't on vacation, I'd check the full list of land grants and I'm guessing I'll find the vast majority of presidents of those public universities are corporate board members.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Now this is something I've not heard. It's been awhile since I turned a book there. Have they changed the charter/mission of South Dakota State University?
        No they have not changed the mission, and that's why I said that private and public labels possibly have more conotations than financial support and budgets. You run into a similar situation in the demonination affliated private schools. In the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, schools like Augustana, Dana, and Midland Lutheran receive something like 40k each year from the church, but yet they are considered affliated with the ELCA. What I am saying is the Private schools are very tuition driven and the same is now becoming true for the six state assisted schools in South Dakota. They are getting less and less from the legislature.

Comment

Waiting for a train, so did a little more research: In 2008, The Chronicle of Higher Education looked at the top 40 research universities in the U.S. (mostly public, some private) and found that 19 of the Presidents of those institutions served on corporate boards. David Boren from the University of Oklahoma and Bob Kerrey from the New School in NYC were each on four corporate boards, topping the survey. Most of the presidents who chose to serve on corporate boards served on more than one.
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Reading about this had me look up the presidents at Michigan and Michigan State.

The president of Michigan, Mary Sue Coleman is a renowned biochemist in immune systems and malignancies. She serves on the BoD of Johnson and Johnson, and the Meredith Corporation.

The president of Michigan State serves on Economic committees and educational ones within the state of Michigan doesn't list corportations.

Comment

I believe the Argus also mentioned that Jim Abbott of USD served on a board of directors as well, so this is hardly breaking news that President Chicoine is appointed to the Monsanto Board. Some one at the Argus seems to think it is news and seems to like the rattle KLousek's cage. Mission accompolished at the Argus. So whats the big deal here anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                I believe the Argus also mentioned that Jim Abbott of USD served on a board of directors as well, so this is hardly breaking news that President Chicoine is appointed to the Monsanto Board. Some one at the Argus seems to think it is news and seems to like the rattle KLousek's cage. Mission accompolished at the Argus. So whats the big deal here anyway?
                I think Duane Sanders, co-founder of Daktronics, was the Dean of Engineering for a long time, while simaltaneously being on the board of directors at Daktronics.

This law could endager Professors from starting corporations, or could limit our Universities capabillity to hire Administrators, Researchers, Professors and Deans that sit on corporate boards....Pretty dumb idea.
                LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

While we are at it, why don't we stop corporate donations as well. No more money from any corporations to the Universities. It discredits any research from the University.
                  LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

...Attack the messenger, if you will, but legitimate questions have been raised.
                    I agree this is a legitimate topic of discussion. I assume the Board of Regents and Pres. Chicoine will adhere to the BOR's policy and so I am not concerned and in fact applaud Dr. Chicoine's election/appointment to the Monsanto Board. If problems occur in the future, the directorship can be reviewed.

I think NoVaJack's point about not attacking the messenger has merit. Sen. Kloucek's view is likely shared by some so he may throw a bill into the hopper and see what happens. I'll encourage my legislators to vote against it.

Comment

One voice column in the Argus relating to this topic was written by the Current President of the Board of Regents relating to the cozy deal. I do not think anyone posted the link to this board so here it is:

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...ICES/906070334

Mr. Terry Baloun is saying that its not a big concern for the BOR, in fact they encourage this position and gladly approved it.

Comment

Anybody know what board(s) Jim Abbott serves on?
                        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I believe Pres. Abbot serves on Home Federal's Board.

As for Terry Baloun's article, I had missed that, thanks for the link. My only observation after a quick scan of the article is that he didn't address how conflict of interests are addressed and managed at all. Not saying they don't do that, they do, but his article really side-stepped the controversy, whether it is real or not.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                            I believe Pres. Abbot serves on Home Federal's Board.

As for Terry Baloun's article, I had missed that, thanks for the link. My only observation after a quick scan of the article is that he didn't address how conflict of interests are addressed and managed at all. Not saying they don't do that, they do, but his article really side-stepped the controversy, whether it is real or not.
                            I believe the mention of Home Federal and Abbott sitting on the board was mentioned in the orginal article, which has now been placed in the Argus Archives. So its not possible to verify that this is indeed the board he sits on. I do believe the BOR has always had a tight rein on the Presidents of the six state assisted unverisities, and I am almost certain that President Chicoine was in contact with the regents as soon he found out about Monsanto. Also Zooropa in another thread made mention of how HM Briggs battled with the regents over what archietect to use for campus buildings. Briggs was his own man on a number of issues. For a ordinary but brilliant Iowa Farm boy, he knew how to take care of himself. Our current president is no different.

Comment

Here we go. Jim Abbott is indeed on the Home Federal Board.

Here is the link:

http://www.homefederal.com/AboutHome...rdofDirectors/

It probably does not pay as well as Monsanto nor not the national visibilty of Monsanto , but it sure does not hurt USD, and Abbott is a very good network person for raising funds. No big deal as far as I am concerned.

Comment

I am a little disturbed at the idea that those asking questions are being vilified. I guess in my mind, when someone accepts a position as a public official--whether elected, appointed, or hired--they serve the people first.

If there is a potential for conflict of interest, I would certainly hope a state senator would do some sniffing around. I certainly wish a few in the U.S. house and senate would have done some sniffing about 6-10 years ago and maybe we wouldn't be in such an economic mess.

Oooh, but the BOR said it was OK. Well then, that is that. Except, maybe the BOR have potential conflicts with this situation. What happens if Monsanto donates a large sum of money for a new events center in Sioux Falls? I believe Mr. Boulan has some substantial input there.

In my experience, conflicts of interest are never an issue--until they become an issue. IE, some would say having a vice president who was on the board of a large corporation is no big deal. And it wasn't until the government started awarding no-bid contracts.

Sorry for the political references, I thought they seemed appropriate.

I don't have anything against the president or anyone else making large sums of money. I am genuinely glad for him, and it is a pretty big deal to get on the board for a company the size of Monsanto. However, there is NOTHING WRONG with asking questions about their relationship and whether or not there could be potential conflicts of interest.
                                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Working...
                                X