Josh Spies: Huge News!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Josh Spies: Huge News!!!

This is a big deal: It was announced today (October 18) in Bloomington, MN, that Watertown native and SDSU fine arts grad, Josh Spies, won the federal duck stamp contest. Read this story from the Star Tribune: LINK

The article notes Josh is the third artist from Watertown to win the federal duck stamp contest, after Terry Redlin and John Wilson. (I think that is an error: I question whether Terry Redlin, often referred to as America's favorite artist, won the federal contest. John Wilson won the 1982-83 stamp contest with his painting of Ruddy Ducks).

Winning the federal duck stamp contest is not only recognition of outstanding artistic talent, it's also financially quite rewarding. Josh already has a national reputation but this award propels him to elite status in wildlife art.

Josh continues to reside in Watertown but he's another example of the slogan: You can go anywhere from here!

Here's a link to Josh's website: LINK
    Last edited by JackJD; 10-18-2008, 10:11 PM.

Re: Josh Spies: Huge News!!!

Very cool! And I also posted a link to the story and his website on my blog as well.
    I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
      This is a big deal: It was announced today (October 18) in Bloomington, MN, that Watertown native and SDSU fine arts grad, Josh Spies, won the federal duck stamp contest. Read this story from the Star Tribune: LINK

The article notes Josh is the third artist from Watertown to win the federal duck stamp contest, after Terry Redlin and John Wilson. (I think that is an error: I question whether Terry Redlin, often referred to as America's favorite artist, won the federal contest. John Wilson won the 1982-83 stamp contest with his painting of Ruddy Ducks).

Winning the federal duck stamp contest is not only recognition of outstanding artistic talent, it's also financially quite rewarding. Josh already has a national reputation but this award propels him to elite status in wildlife art.

Josh continues to reside in Watertown but he's another example of the slogan: You can go anywhere from here!

Here's a link to Josh's website: LINK

I searched here. I may have overlooked it, but I never saw Terry Redlin's name listed as the winning artist.

http://www.fws.gov/duckstamps/federa...fedimages4.htm
      LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Being a waterfowl hunter, I always enjoy getting a look at the new stamp each year. In the past when you signed up to go to the Ducks Unlimited banquet, you had the option of buying a print of the years stamp. Very nice award for Josh to win.
        Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Here's a link to Redlin's bio. It says he won the Minnesota Duck Stamp contest in 1981 and 1985 and placed second in the federal contest in 1982.

http://www.redlinart.com/artist.cfm

Comment

Well, did anybody expect that JackJD was wrong when he said he didn't think Redlin had won the federal contest? Several bows to the maestro!!!

Comment

I always expect JackJD to be wrong, and he proves me wrong every time. Makes me think he knows about what he is posting. Hummmmm, maybe I'm reading into it too much. LOL!
              Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Oh, great! Now I'll REALLY get fly-specked on my posts!

Josh Spies is a great guy and it's nice when he receives well-deserved recognition. It's also nice when SDSU can claim a little credit for super success in a field that does not always garner headlines.

One old-timer who reads this board was reminded of all the $10 checks cashed at Spies grocery store in Brookings, enroute to Horts! The Spies stores were started by Josh's grandfather. Josh's dad and uncle now have the Cowboy Gas/Convenience stores and related in Watertown, Pierre and elsewhere. Great people...quietly doing good things behind the scenes.

Comment

Working...
                X