Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: More Students More Parking

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
    Its basically one big slough all around Brookings/Volga/Madison. Unless you are on the Couteau its only 600-900ft above sea level or less. I know there were/are some steam tunnels running around campus. At the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN we had tunnels going every where. I think they are at least 1200ft above sea level buy very close to the Mississippi river valley. Water was a small problem but the tunnels were nice. They basically have a whole town underground in Rochester.

Now, I'm no geologist so someone a lot smarter than me will do a much better job answering the question about tunnels.
    When I was 16 my Dad got me a great summer job: Cleaning 1950s civil defense supplies out of the SDSU steam tunnels. Rotten food. Heavy, rusty barrels of water. Rodents. Hot steam pipes. Scalding water dripping from pipes. 100+ degrees. Probably lots of asbestos. All for minimum wage, which was $3.10 an hour back then.

Thanks Dad!
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
      When I was 16 my Dad got me a great summer job: Cleaning 1950s civil defense supplies out of the SDSU steam tunnels. Rotten food. Heavy, rusty barrels of water. Rodents. Hot steam pipes. Scalding water dripping from pipes. 100+ degrees. Probably lots of asbestos. All for minimum wage, which was $3.10 an hour back then.

Thanks Dad!
      What a loving and caring dad!

Comment

Thanks Dad!
        Ah, the advantages of being a Prof's son!

I remember several opportunities to go out on Emory Johnson's survey crews.

BTW the elevation at Brookings is about 1650 ft NAVD. Unless I'm mistaken, going to the top of Campanile, the very tip would be just over 2000 ft NAVD (is the Campanile 350 ft tall)

Comment

Thanks Dad!
          Same thing, different place. I remember being asked if anybody wanted to skip study hall one day when I was a sophomore in HS to clean out our school's CD shelter. The only thing still deemed safe for consumption were the steel cans of "carbohydrate supplement" or rock candy. That was our payment: we could take the candy home if we wanted. I still have one of the empty cans somewhere. It would make a nice conversation piece if I can find it.

I also remember "exploring" the tunnels under SDSU. Probably a good thing we didn't stay down there very long ...
          "You trusted us"

Comment

Originally posted by AnimalHouse83 View Post
            Same thing, different place. I remember being asked if anybody wanted to skip study hall one day when I was a sophomore in HS to clean out our school's CD shelter. The only thing still deemed safe for consumption were the steel cans of "carbohydrate supplement" or rock candy. That was our payment: we could take the candy home if we wanted. I still have one of the empty cans somewhere. It would make a nice conversation piece if I can find it.

I also remember "exploring" the tunnels under SDSU. Probably a good thing we didn't stay down there very long ...
            The rock candy was the only thing that survived in SDSU's steam tunnels, too. The water was rusty. The wheat crackers were fed to the pigs at the swine unit. Everything else was tossed in a landfill.
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Rock candy? You may have had one too many words there if it survived that long.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

I realize I'm dangerously close to drifting even further off topic, but if you want to know more about what JimmyJack and I are talking about:

http://www.civildefensemuseum.com/cd...pply/food.html

This is a great site if you want to know more about Civil Defense during the Cold War era or are a history buff in general.

We now return to discussion of "More Students More Parking" ...
                "You trusted us"

Comment

Working...
                X