X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SDSU Meat Judging Wins

This is an email I got from the SDBIC.

Beef Council Proud of SDSU Meat Judging Team

PIERRE (February 18, 2008)—When the Meat Judging Team at South Dakota State University (SDSU) recently won two national competitions, team members and their advisers weren’t the only ones smiling. South Dakota Beef Industry Council (SDBIC) directors were pleased to see the team they help support with beef checkoff dollars succeed at such a high level.
    “These students are the future of our industry,” says Bob Fortune, SDBIC President. “They are learning skills that they can put to good use in their future careers, and their ability to succeed at this level is impressive.”
    The SDSU team won the Southwestern Intercollegiate Meat Judging Contest in Fort Worth, TX, on February 2. On January 20, they won the National Western Livestock Show Meat Judging Contest in Greeley, CO. Both first-place finishes were historic for SDSU meat judging.
    In 2008, SDBIC budgeted $10,000 to help support the team’s activities and travel expenses. SDBIC also supports the American Meat Science Association with a $5,000 general sponsorship for the nationwide judging program. “We’re proud to be a sponsor, and proud of the SDSU team’s wins and their efforts,” says Fortune, a Belvidere rancher.
    Members of the team are: Robbie Helberg, Paso Robles, CA, Eric Hogle, Clarion, IA, Jace Hollenbeck, Harrisburg, Katelyn Milton, Brooklyn Park, MN, Amanda Nolz, Mitchell, Tyler Radke, Minnesota Lake, MN, and Tyler Urban, Lennox. The coach is Dustin Mohrhauser, and faculty adviser is Duane Wulf.

Comment

You just can't buy this kind of publicity: This morning's Wall Street Journal has a feature article on meat judging and the lead paragraph along with much of the story is about SDSU's Jace Hollenbeck and the winning SDSU team!

Here's how the article starts:

GREELEY, Colo. -- It was cold, at 38 degrees, and noisy enough to require earplugs when Jace Hollenbeck approached the bloody competition floor. Tired from a week of 12-hour practices, he awaited the opening whistle with trepidation.
      When the whistle blew, Mr. Hollenbeck says, he steadied himself for competition by remembering his coach's words of the night before: "We didn't come here to lose."

It's a great read and a reminder for me and I suspect others, that the meat-judging team, while not an attention-grabber like the football team or other athletic teams, is a verifiable sign about the quality we have at SDSU. Meat-judging has all of the hallmarks of any athletic competition but the competitors know this is no game ... it has direct relevance to a huge industry and the American food supply.

Here's the last two paragraphs from the article (I nominate Jace Hollenbeck and his team "Jackrabbits of the Year"):

When results were announced the next day, Colorado State finished second. "The most important thing is winning the national championship," Mr. Woerner told the team. "It's just for fun until then."
      Mr. Hollenbeck didn't need any consolation. He won the individual title, largely on the risky hardbone call, propelling his team into first place. On the ride home, he said, "it felt really great to represent South Dakota State that way."

Hollenbeck and his Jackrabbit teammates are the best.

Here's the link:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1205...s_inside_today

Comment

That is a great article...great find JackJD!

Comment

Yes thank you everyone, it's really a great feeling to have my name in the first sentence of a front page article of the Wall Street Journal. It is true, though, my teammates and I, we go in to the contest wanting to win and win it for SDSU. Before every contest we say a prayer and then say, "Go Big, Go Blue, Go Jacks." We truly are very honored to represent our University and the nationally recongnized College of Ag. and Bio. Sciences. We are trying to get the football helmet decals for our blue hard hats, but its becoming kind of a challenge.

Comment

I echo BTJ's congratulations to JackJD for finding this online article. It is a great read, and the video has a great ending...another JACKRABBIT victory!!

Comment

Fabulous job, and good luck in the rest of the competitions.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Congrats IGAF!!!! That is publicity for SDSU that only comes from winning and consistently. Keep up Meat Judgers! I hope that having the finals on "home turf" will help with the comfort and angst before the finals.

Comment

Working...
                X