Bad Idea from NSU: Cap Enrollment at SDSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bad Idea from NSU: Cap Enrollment at SDSU

Personally I like the Wyoming model. They have one public 4 year school, the University of Wyoming, a 1A school that is a member of the Mountain West Conference, and a former member of the WAC. I believe they have other public schools but they are all 2 year schools. Just imagine if SD had followed this model long ago and put the 4 year school in Sioux Falls. We wouldn't be having any arguments about schools moving to D1 because such a school would have been D1 from the beginning and in a major athletic conference.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-D1 View Post
      Personally I like the Wyoming model. They have one public 4 year school, the University of Wyoming, a 1A school that is a member of the Mountain West Conference, and a former member of the WAC. I believe they have other public schools but they are all 2 year schools. Just imagine if SD had followed this model long ago and put the 4 year school in Sioux Falls. We wouldn't be having any arguments about schools moving to D1 because such a school would have been D1 from the beginning and in a major athletic conference.
      This has been discussed in South Dakota before. Gov. Richard Kneip advocated a single university system in the 1970s with each college town keeping its campus for a satellite site. It would have been like the Wisconsin model: University of South Dakota at Brookings, at Vermillion, at Aberdeen, etc. The problem was that many state lawmakers, although they wanted increased efficiency in higher education, never got on board with it. And, as you might expect, people living in the college towns got quite upset too.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-D1 View Post
        That is a good model. But we'd need a time machine to make it happen in South Dakota.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

More high school graduates choose SDSU than any other university in the state. I believe we also lead in retention of students which indicates that they remain convinced that they made the right choice. Why mess with success?
          Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

I say again, the entire state of SD will benefit best by investing more in each of the six state assisted schools. There is no need to play the jealousy card and close down this place or that place. We need them all and we need to fund all of them. This stuck in the mud attitude of no investment in order to save the tax payers money is a bunch of huey. What if banks stopped making loans and hoarded the deposits? It not work and its time to wake up and smell the coffee. Higher education is a great investment and the best investment in the future.

Comment

From a practical, financial and population perspective, Northern State University probably should be closed or converted to a junior college. Black Hills and Mines should be merged into one university. Dakota State's computer-oriented mission is losing its uniqueness and probably should be updated again. Back when Southern State (in Springfield) was attached to USD, a similar, unsuccessful move was made to attach Dakota State to SDSU. Dakota State survived and eventually landed a fresh role. Any major overhaul of the overall system now probably will have to be initiated by voters. It's not something the Legislature or governor will be eager to take on.
              This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                I say again, the entire state of SD will benefit best by investing more in each of the six state assisted schools. There is no need to play the jealousy card and close down this place or that place. We need them all and we need to fund all of them. This stuck in the mud attitude of no investment in order to save the tax payers money is a bunch of huey. What if banks stopped making loans and hoarded the deposits? It not work and its time to wake up and smell the coffee. Higher education is a great investment and the best investment in the future.
                I guess I'm with Nidaros on this one. There is something to be said for geographic access to higher education.
                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                  From a practical, financial and population perspective, Northern State University probably should be closed or converted to a junior college. Black Hills and Mines should be merged into one university. Dakota State's computer-oriented mission is losing its uniqueness and probably should be updated again. Back when Southern State (in Springfield) was attached to USD, a similar, unsuccessful move was made to attach Dakota State to SDSU. Dakota State survived and eventually landed a fresh role. Any major overhaul of the overall system now probably will have to be initiated by voters. It's not something the Legislature or governor will be eager to take on.
                  First of all BHSU and SDSM&T will not merge they talked about it a few years back and nobody supported the move unless they went D-I and still funding would of been short.....

You can't close a school or realistically could even change them to a junior college however something needs to be done with them. I think if a Junior college is going to work DSU would work better (smaller facilities less of a known for athletics) thats the thing when going JuCo you have to understand is the athletics are the ones that throw the fits.... NSU basketball games are very well attended and are generally pretty competitive...... NSU needs an overhaul they need to keep people from Aberdeen leaving I would bet more people from Aberdeen go to NDSU then SDSU....

Comment

I just received an e-mail from the SDSU Newsline. I noticed this and thought I would post:

Board of Regents forum set at Days Inn for Monday night
                    The Board of Regents is holding a forum on higher education in South Dakota at the Days Inn in Brookings tonight, Monday, Oct. 29, at 7 p.m. Comments received by the Regents in other communities have raised issues about enrollment caps. Brookings Chamber and Economic Development Director Al Heuton is encouraging people to attend the Brookings meeting to "become a proactive and present a unified voice regarding our future" with regard to the impact caused by a "non-traditional campus in Sioux Falls."

Comment

Working...
                    X