Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Enrollment guesses?

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
    But headcount isn't the most useful measure of the relative size of institutions. Full-time-equivalent numbers tell you how many of those students in the headcount are taking a full load of classes.
    You are right JJ, but the REAL measure is actual number of credit hours registered...and in that respect, SDSU bounces WAY out in front. Don't know the exact figures now, but the number of credit hours for SDSU were much, much higher than for USD. I believe state funding is based on credit hours, not on FTE or headcount.

In all three cases...go SDSU!!

Comment

To clarify the previous two posts, FTE's are not the number of students taking a full time load but rather the number of FTE's (full time EQUIVALENTS) that the credit hours convert into. You divide the undergraduate credit hours by 15 and the graduate by 12. Slightly different divisors are used for professional schools like pharmacy and medicine. Therefore, the comparison of enrollments will be the same whether talking credit hours or FTE's. (Headcounts are different and as the name emplies the number of different students enrolled)

The state support is based the number of FTE's of students enrolled in state support classes. In general (there are some exceptions) classes in Sioux Falls and most other off campus locations are not state support. For a comparison of state support FTE's which drives state funding go to the most recent Regent's Fact book which is the 2007 book with numbers from fall 2006. Those numbers indicate that SDSU was at 8857 and USD at 5835 for state-support enrollment. In other words, SDSU was over 50% larger than USD in this catagory. USD has a slightly larger self-support (non state support) enrollment 769 to 605. Again these are last years numbers, but this years will be in about the same ratio. There is also lots of other interesting information in the Fact Book. The url is given below.

http://www.sdbor.edu/publications/do...evised0207.pdf
      Last edited by Rabbit74; 10-05-2007, 02:31 AM. Reason: clarity

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
        You are right JJ, but the REAL measure is actual number of credit hours registered...and in that respect, SDSU bounces WAY out in front. Don't know the exact figures now, but the number of credit hours for SDSU were much, much higher than for USD. I believe state funding is based on credit hours, not on FTE or headcount.

In all three cases...go SDSU!!
        Yes, exactly. Inside the university, we look at the number of student-credit-hours generated when it comes time to ask the administrators to reallocate resources. It's not a perfect system (money doesn't always follow credit hours, or there is a long lag) but it's a good measure of what's happening in a department, a college, and at a university.

By the way, Rabbit74, I didn't mean to suggest that FTE was a "headcount" of full-time students. I thought the word "equivalent" made it clear enough. I should have gone ahead and defined the term FTE, but it's just one of those we throw around all the time.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I think some of the credit should go to whomever is in charge of marketing. I live in Tea and when I moved here 2 years ago it seemed like USD did a much better job of marketing their product in the SF Area. I have been blown away by the increase in SDSU Ads in the area. The quality of the advertising has been great as well. There's stuff on billboards all over town along with advertisements in the mall. Who is in charge of marketing anyway? I think the alums owe them a big Thank You.

By the way, one of the billboards states "If you think the foot is lucky, imagine if the entire rabbit is behind you" --the actual line is better than this I can't remember the exact details. If there are T-shirts like this, I'd definitely buy one.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitinTea View Post
            I think some of the credit should go to whomever is in charge of marketing. I live in Tea and when I moved here 2 years ago it seemed like USD did a much better job of marketing their product in the SF Area. I have been blown away by the increase in SDSU Ads in the area. The quality of the advertising has been great as well. There's stuff on billboards all over town along with advertisements in the mall. Who is in charge of marketing anyway? I think the alums owe them a big Thank You.

By the way, one of the billboards states "If you think the foot is lucky, imagine if the entire rabbit is behind you" --the actual line is better than this I can't remember the exact details. If there are T-shirts like this, I'd definitely buy one.
            I believe Lawrence & Schiller do a lot of our university wide marketing. I don't know what their role is now they we don't use them for our athletic website but I know they were involved in the past. Whoever it is, I agree they've done a great job getting our name out.

Comment

Working...
            X