Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Building question

Originally posted by joeboo22
    I agree, the problem with parking lots for football is dedicating that much money and space for a lot that will be less then half full 365 days of the year.
    Depends on what lot and where. The lot just east of the stadium is over half-full for pretty much the whole school year. The HPER lot is usually pretty full on any school day. So about for about 3 months or less those parking lots are feeling pretty lonely. Otherwise those other 9 months they are pretty packed with cars.

Back to the topic at hand. The new Wellness Center is coming along petty good I'd say. The sitework, dirtwork, and concrete work usually takes the longest to complete. Construction pretty much moves along fast once those three things are done. Can't wait to see it finished next year(2008) sometime.

Comment

I think this facility when completed will be one more amenity that will attract potential students and increase the quality of life for students and area residents.

Comment

Really...I never would have thought of that..

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUJack3031
          Really...I never would have thought of that..
          Then I guess this post was even more meaningful for someone like you..

Comment

I apologize...just being sarcastic

Comment

I heard there might be some new big, important buildings going up on campus next year.

Comment

Arby's??? Jk. But seriously, are you just referring to the work being done right now? Or do you know something else because if you do your quote was POINTLESS because you're just telling us that you know something that we don't.

Comment

Well I didn't know this year was next year, so your post is pointless. I just know there are some major construction projects that are going to start on campus NEXT YEAR, which is not this year. Oh yah Jimmie John's is opening a location in July in town.

Comment

SDSU will be adding a new science building (Integrated Health Sciences Building) to benefit the Pharmacy program as well as science classes etc.  I do not recall the start date of the project but I think it is less than two years away...may be late summer but not certain).  To see info on the new building, go here:  http://www.sdsunewsciencebuilding.com/    and here: http://www.sdsufoundation.org/sdsu.aspx?pgID=883

If there are new building projects on campus, the news can generally be found in public information if you look around.  

Building projects, whether remodeling, additions or new buildings, will be financed by public funds or private funds or a combination of the two.  If public funding is involved, you can watch the process of approval of the funding as it goes through the Regents and then the Legislature, with most projects of any size, after being approved, being funded through bonds sold by the SD Building Authority, a separate corporate entity which was chartered by the State.  (Usually the State does not have sufficient money just sitting around to pay for projects.  The State is prohibited by its Constitution -- like most of the states west of the Mississippi River -- from incurring debt for such projects.  As a "work-around", the SD Building Authority was formed by the State for the purpose of selling bonds for publicly-funded campus projects.)

There are no real secrets about upcoming projects because they are improvements to the public's college campuses.  One can do some research and see what a particular state university has approved which was then approved by the Regents and, finally, by the Legislature.  

To see what projects have been or are financed by the SD Building Authority (website info current as of January, 2007), you can go here:   http://www.sd-ba.com/

Comment

Nope still not what I'm talking about. And since we are D-1 we can't use state money for athletic upgrades at least from what I remember about our move up.

Comment

It's certainly possible for a privately financed project (including one funded in whole or in part by the Foundation) to be in the works without it being public.  Eventually it would be made public because it involves an improvement to the public university.

It would be great if there is something going on behind the scene that involves significant upgrades to athletic facilities. I look forward to hearing more about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue
                          Nope still not what I'm talking about.  And since we are D-1 we can't use state money for athletic upgrades at least from what I remember about our move up.
                          My recollection of the Board of Regents action was that student fees could not be increased to finance D1 budget increases and possibly it would apply to athletic facilities as well. As far as going to the SD Legislature and getting state money for a new facility, it may not be against law, but it would be a very hard if not impossible sell. You would have to first prove to the BOR that a facility is in need, and that the foundation had exhausted every effort to raise the money. If the BOR hurdle had been cleared, then it would another sell to the legislature who would have to explain to their voters back home why they voted for such an appropriation. A tough hill to climb, but it could be done, but very unlikely. Just think of the Wellness Center. No state money, but the state legislature had to approve and maybe there are other reasons, but I believe the biggest reason for their involvement is the fact that part of their budget they appropriate for SDSU and the other five state assisted schools are for maintenence  and annual utilities costs.

I dont know many alums who would donate money to the foundation to pay the light bill on any given building on campus. Its not very exciting.

BTW Blue, I have no idea what you are hinting and that is okay.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue
                            Nope still not what I'm talking about.  And since we are D-1 we can't use state money for athletic upgrades at least from what I remember about our move up.
                            I know what he is referring too and trust me if Blue knows about it than it's not that big of secret!

Comment

Should we start a new section titled: I know something you don't know!?

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD
                                Should we start a new section titled: I know something you don't know!?
                                I know what I think about the recent direction of this thread. I can't tell anyone, of course.

(Geez, this is fun. Anybody can do it!)
                                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                                X