Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mascot News

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
    I can't count how many times I had to correct people on the road that we were South Dakota State not San Diego or any other variation.
    Confusion is going to happen no matter what. People will think of San Diego first because people want to go there. Not many people think of going to South Dakota

Check out the Aztec's logo

and the Toreros logo

They don't scream San Diego to me outside of the colors.
    Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
    -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

Here is an interesting article posted by some guys who reviews logos. I don't know how much weight to put into this article but he sure did his research on our long drawn out process. He must have a good following as well considering how many people have responded to his story.

Earlier this morning I set out to write a one-paragraph review of this logo. It's 10:15 p.m., I'm missing the Oscars, I have nearly 20 tabs open in Safari, and I'm just now finishing to unravel the epic evolution that involved one reputable sports logo firm, a few hundred designers (and non-designers surely), a contest, and, of course, a committee. In 18 months. Ready? The story starts when South Dakota State University (SDSU) started to transition into the Division I of athletic competition in 2004, but it only starts to really unspool in October of 2005 when the athletic director noticed how bad its logo was in comparison to the other slick logos of DI schools. So they enlisted New York-based Phoenix Design Works (PDW) to tackle the challenge — but not before asking another firm to do "some preliminary designs", whatever that means — with the goal to unveil a new design in February of 2007. From what I gather PDW started working on the logo somewhere in late 2006. In October of that year, PDW showed up to SDSU to present 30 design options, and as a response, the committee "took the representatives north of campus to watch jackrabbits running" hoping that this experience "would help them design a jackrabbit that fits SDSU better," because, "their previous exposure to jackrabbits was online photos." This should tell you enough about the process.

The committee is never quite revealed, but there are members from the Student Association, as well as a Relations Director, and I'm guessing members of the athletic program, but as the story continues, they sound like a designer's worst nightmare. In January of 2007, PDW shows up with a proposed solution, which is only seen in a little sidebar on this page, that involves a more realistic rabbit. From what I can see it does seem odd for a DI school, it looked like more of a Velveteen rabbit. The committee was not happy, specially as they garnered responses from people in the university. Including, god knows why, Derek Peterson the university's bookstore manager, who "[had] been somewhat frustrated because he asked to see the logo in different colors and sizes, but the design committee failed to meet those requests". So, no logo yet, and back to the drawing board.

In February, when the logo was supposed to be released, a turning point came when Ross Hettinger, a junior art education major, who "spent six hours coming up with his own versions of the logo with his idea of true jackrabbit characteristics" and posted it on Facebook to share his work with students. The group grew to 400 members, with some suggesting logos themselves, giving the committee a glimpse at the power of crowdsourcing. Do you have shivers yet? Hold on, it gets better.

This page you should really read as it spells the beginning of the end, and shows some of the alternate, alternate logos presented. Here are some choice sentences — don't try to follow any of the names, it's the underlying message that really matters — for the faint of heart:

(read more)

Comment

Dang, those graphic designers are a grumpy bunch!
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
          Dang, those graphic designers are a grumpy bunch!
          Or a gwumpy bunch.

I've already got 2 sweatshirts, 2 T's, a flag, and some vehicle decals with the new logo. I think the designs are great. I'm just waiting for some kid's items. I understand they have a slightly different mascot design for those. Need to buy my tailgate flagpole. Here is a link to the pole I was looking at. Anyone have one of these or similar? Any recommendations?

http://www.wonderpole.com/wp621.html
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I was tempted to post over there a fundamental fact of professionalism:
            If you, in your professional opinion, don't think that you can do the job within the constraints offered you by the customer, it is a requirement as a professional to say so, and if necessary, walk away from the deal rather than to do less than your best work for your client.
            A lot of them seem to be taking the "the noble and proud graphic designers of poor lil' ol' Phoenix Design Works, being abused by that nasty SDSU customer" line. That's pretty much the reverse of "professionalism."

I didn't want to get into a pissing match, so I'll just post it here instead.

I'd guess that there isn't a person involved with the process who wouldn't do it differently next time around. I would sincerely hope that includes the "professionals" at Phoenix Design Works.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

SDSU NEVER RECEIVED What PDW was supposed to deliver.

The public process opened up and led to a VERY NICE design.

PDW should not be rewarded for failing to perform adequately.

Comment

In fairness to everyone involved, nobody is blameless here. PDW failed to deliver. SDSU failed to make clear what we wanted. Nobody could say our process was flawless.

In the end, though, we got a great set of logos... so who cares?
                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Comment away:

(\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
                    Comment away:

Looks like the Chargers throwback helmet.

Comment

Its a little too flashy for the style of our uniforms. My vote is to hold with the 'SD' and current setup. I like the plain, boring, yet smashmouth style we got going now. If we had to get rid of the 'SD', I wouldn't even use a logo on the helmet. I would put the player's number in its place.

The new logos have their place in other sports, but I'm not sold on using it for football. That would take some getting used to from me.

Comment

Comment away:

Take of the Jackrabbits and It would be ok. Not big on the white helmet.
                        Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
                        -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

Comment away:

First of all, where did this image come from?

My only comment is that I don't prefer this design and the colors are off.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                            First of all, where did this image come from?

My only comment is that I don't prefer this design and the colors are off.
                            I agree, colors are off.
                            "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

No thank you. I like the set up now. I like the simple but sharp look. The 'SD' on the helmet needs to stay.
                              "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                              "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Comment away:

Nope... I like the saggy SD better... it's classy.
                                I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Working...
                                X