Mascot News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mascot News

I liked all of them. But #4 was my favorite. #1 was my second favorite. #2 was the one I liked the least.

I can't wait to see the final product.
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Hated 'em all.

Maybe that could be my new moniker as well.
      I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

#1 was my favorite then #3 and then #4. Wasn't a fan of #2 at all. I think we have some winners in that group.

Specifically #1 had the best colour scheme and had that mean look to it.

Take the colors from #1 and apply them to #2 and it is a winner also. The blue in #2 is just too light (imho).
        Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
        -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
          I liked all of them. But #4 was my favorite. #1 was my second favorite. #2 was the one I liked the least.

I can't wait to see the final product.
          I chose before I looked at any of the posts here, my wife also made her picks independent of mine.

We both liked #4 the best, #1 next, we both disliked #2.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I liked 1, then 4, but my wife liked 3 and none of the rest.

Best of all is JackJD's cross-country logo.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Well, I'm not absolutely thrilled with any of them...guess I like the current face with the JACKS logo...but that is an old issue I suppose and I would be swimming upstream. I voted for #4 as I think it is the best one. #1 wasn't awful, although I think #4 was a better depiction of a Jackrabbit...and I couldn't live with either 2 or 3...sure hope there are enough others that vote for #4 to make that the choice...(and suppose I'll live with what ever is picked, just won't live life joyfully if it is #2 or #3.)

Comment

I sort of look at this like naming a baby. You worry about whether the name will fit the baby, but actually, it's the child who ends up defining the name. Once the child arrives, he or she just "fits" the name.

I'm thinking that once this selection is made (and I do like a couple of those options) and we start seeing this "baby" begin to define itself in the context of our sports teams, on merchandise, etc., it'll start feeling like it belongs to us. When you're picking something like this out, you're looking at it in a different way than you do once it's out in the world.
                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Any of the ones that had a "mean" looking jackrabbit I hated. To me trying to make a Jackrabbit look mean is just rididulous. I liked the one that is similar the forum logo best, I think it was #2

Comment

I don't like any of them...once again, none of them jump out to me and make me say "I really like that one." I voted on these before looking at everyone's posts and I voted:

#1: Dislike
                    #2: Dislike
                    #3: Strongly Dislike
                    #4: Strongly Dislike

And I really can't see why people are choosing #4. I feel it is the least professional looking design of the bunch. When I picture any of these on a t-shirt or hat...I won't be buying it.

I want a new Jackrabbit logo that will make me choose between it and the stretch SD. Right now, I'm really happy they put a 24'x24' stretch SD on the basketball floor and they didn't choose to wait until a new Jackrabbit logo came out.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                      I want a new Jackrabbit logo that will make me choose between it and the stretch SD. Right now, I'm really happy they put a 24'x24' stretch SD on the basketball floor and they didn't choose to wait until a new Jackrabbit logo came out.
                      Unfortunately, the stretch SD doesn't mean "South Dakota State" to anyone outside of this region. San Diego? Santo Domingo? South Duluth? Southern Delaware? South Dakota? Oh, right. The University of South Dakota... No? It's also not a terribly legible logo on a football helmet (if you don't know what it is, it looks, from a distance, like a yellow blob.)

There are good reasons for this change as far as branding the university and the sports teams in a way that people in Georgia or California might actually remember.

Here's my frustration with the survey process. They need to present these logos in a form that is close to final. On these four, the colors are different on every one. Some have the South Dakota State lettering and some don't. In survey research, you seek to minimize the variables involved so that when you get the results, they have some meaning. They didn't do that here... again. Do people dislike them because of the colors (#3 had washed out blue and mustard yellow) or because of some other factor? You can't tell when you don't provide accurate renderings of the final products.

Last thing: They're not going to please everyone with the new logo, and they really need to stop trying. Pick the one the committee members believe is best and present it in a context that is natural for it (on a shirt, football helmet, hat, etc.) We need to get beyond this.
                      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                        I don't like any of them...once again, none of them jump out to me and make me say "I really like that one." I voted on these before looking at everyone's posts and I voted:

#1: Dislike
                        #2: Dislike
                        #3: Strongly Dislike
                        #4: Strongly Dislike

And I really can't see why people are choosing #4. I feel it is the least professional looking design of the bunch. When I picture any of these on a t-shirt or hat...I won't be buying it.

I don't by stuff with the current Jackrabbit on them and don't anticipate changing that when the new logo comes out. The dart board and bean bag boards I received as gifts have the stretch SD, South Dakota State University and Jackrabbits all over them but no actual jackrabbit and I think they look great. I own about 50 pieces of apparel from SDSU and I don't think any of them have the actual mascot on them. I guess I just don't share the level of distress about selecting a mascot that some others do.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I listened to Terry V. on one of the local radio shows this summer and he said the main reason they wanted an actual jackrabbit as the logo is because we are the only jackrabbits. and when they are in California or Florida or Texas recruiting they don't want to have players confused with other SD's.... USD, San Diego the obvious and they don't want to get confused with other jacks like SFA lumberjacks.... The only thing is I don't think any of them would look good on a letter head, a t-shirt or a polo.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                            Unfortunately, the stretch SD doesn't mean "South Dakota State" to anyone outside of this region. San Diego? Santo Domingo? South Duluth? Southern Delaware? South Dakota? Oh, right. The University of South Dakota... No? It's also not a terribly legible logo on a football helmet (if you don't know what it is, it looks, from a distance, like a yellow blob.)

There are good reasons for this change as far as branding the university and the sports teams in a way that people in Georgia or California might actually remember.

Here's my frustration with the survey process. They need to present these logos in a form that is close to final. On these four, the colors are different on every one. Some have the South Dakota State lettering and some don't. In survey research, you seek to minimize the variables involved so that when you get the results, they have some meaning. They didn't do that here... again. Do people dislike them because of the colors (#3 had washed out blue and mustard yellow) or because of some other factor? You can't tell when you don't provide accurate renderings of the final products.

Last thing: They're not going to please everyone with the new logo, and they really need to stop trying. Pick the one the committee members believe is best and present it in a context that is natural for it (on a shirt, football helmet, hat, etc.) We need to get beyond this.

Understandable. But is a rabbit going to make them remember either? I suppose it may help a little because we are the "Jackrabbits". But I think we'll have to prove ourselves on a large playing field (ex. NCAA Basketball tourney, go far in playoffs for football, etc.) before people start remembering us. Just being devil's advocate here. I agree with the rest of your post as well.

Comment

I think #4 looks the best, but the ears might be just a bit too large. To me #1 looks too much like a cottontail, and I don't like the view of just the head shot.
                              Who says rabbits can't be mean-- ever read "Watership Down" by Richard Adams?
                              I would like them to get the decision made.

Comment

Originally posted by trueblue View Post
                                I think #4 looks the best, but the ears might be just a bit too large. To me #1 looks too much like a cottontail, and I don't like the view of just the head shot.
                                Who says rabbits can't be mean-- ever read "Watership Down" by Richard Adams?
                                I would like them to get the decision made.
                                Or watch "Monty Python and the Holy Grail?

When will a decision be made?
                                I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Working...
                                X