No announcement yet.

Matt Zimmer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you should plan on subscribing to at least one of those new organizations, if you want such content. People like Zimmer are leaving organizations like the Argus, freelancing if you will. They have to make a living some how. We should be willing to pay for his quality.

Comment

Originally posted by tbcruiser View Post
      I think you should plan on subscribing to at least one of those new organizations, if you want such content. People like Zimmer are leaving organizations like the Argus, freelancing if you will. They have to make a living some how. We should be willing to pay for his quality.
      I actually subscribe to the Dell City Journal (even though their website gives me fits), and the Dakota Scout. Both have good stories, and they're hyper-local.

The more I think about it, the more likely I am to cancel my Argus Leader subscription this year. It seems like it's gone beyond "trimming the fat" and now it's hacking off bone and muscle in order to save a buck.
      I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by tbcruiser View Post
        Right, it’s a pretty simple concept. If you’ve been pulling stunts to try and get around the Argus paywall you don’t get to complain about how they couldn’t support Zimmer and his excellent coverage.

Comment

Newest NLA episode, Zim says it is not even close, SDSU fans are the biggest media market for him to report to, and he wants to keep SDSU fans happy in his new role.

Comment

Originally posted by salemjack View Post
            Newest NLA episode, Zim says it is not even close, SDSU fans are the biggest media market for him to report to, and he wants to keep SDSU fans happy in his new role.
            Not surprising. Anybody with half a brain can see how much better SDSU draws vs. usd. We average 5000+ more fans per game in football than their stadium holds.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post

I actually subscribe to the Dell City Journal (even though their website gives me fits), and the Dakota Scout. Both have good stories, and they're hyper-local.

The more I think about it, the more likely I am to cancel my Argus Leader subscription this year. It seems like it's gone beyond "trimming the fat" and now it's hacking off bone and muscle in order to save a buck.
              The Argus is a shadow name for the USA Today. The Argus has been shrinking while the USA Today material in quantity is offered at the back half. The local or SD news has been shrinking with more AP & USA Network articles for SD news offered in the front half. I am not certain how the takeover by Gannet of the Watertown PO is shaping up its advertising and subject matter.. Todays sports offered 2 AP articles and McCleary wrote a strip on high school ratings which was 3 paragraphs, 2 huge pictures of girls basketball, and the list of the 3 classes of boys and girls Top 5.
              Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post

The Argus is a shadow name for the USA Today. The Argus has been shrinking while the USA Today material in quantity is offered at the back half. The local or SD news has been shrinking with more AP & USA Network articles for SD news offered in the front half. I am not certain how the takeover by Gannet of the Watertown PO is shaping up its advertising and subject matter.. Todays sports offered 2 AP articles and McCleary wrote a strip on high school ratings which was 3 paragraphs, 2 huge pictures of girls basketball, and the list of the 3 classes of boys and girls Top 5.
                I'm still steamed about what they did to the Dell Rapids Tribune. They took a solid weekly paper and turned into a repository of press releases and second-run stories from the Argus Leader before shutting it down. I can only imagine what they'll do to the AAN and the PO before they eventually get shut down.

The only reason I still subscribe to the Argus was because of Joe Sneve (really good state gov't reporter), Zimmer, and the occasional Sioux Falls History bit from Eric Renshaw. Now that all three appear to be gone, there really isn't a good reason for me to keep paying $120/year for a digital subscription.
                I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Personally I think SDSU coverage took a hit when Terry V left. Zimmer did a great job with FB/BB but I loved Terry’s stories of other sports, live chats and how active he was with social media.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

When Terry was here the Argus had at least 4 full time sportswriters and several part timers. Stu Whitney, Mick Garry, Matt Zimmer and Terry was an excellent veteran staff. Now Zimmer and a relatively new reporter cover everything. Simply put Terry had a lot more time to develop the stories you are now missing. It will only get worse with Zimmer leaving.

Comment

Yes, they had four, and according to this article: https://www.argusleader.com/story/op...k/69824338007/

They are down to 1 sports reporter for the State.

No offense to Michael, I think he's a good sports writer, but I may have to cancel my argus subscription and look into Zim's coverage.

Comment

https://www.mitchellrepublic.com/spo...e-feel-special

Zimmer has a great article on Stig in today's Mitchell Republic.

Subscriptions are $5 per month for the first 6 months.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                          https://www.mitchellrepublic.com/spo...e-feel-special

Zimmer has a great article on Stig in today's Mitchell Republic.

Subscriptions are $5 per month for the first 6 months.
                          I didn't see a new Twitter handle around this article. Did anyone see Zimmer's Twitter address?
                          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

I didn't see a new Twitter handle around this article. Did anyone see Zimmer's Twitter address?
                            https://twitter.com/MattJZimmer

Comment

Looks like you get transferred over if you followed him at his old handle.

Comment

It looks like Michael McCleary is also leaving the Argus to cover the Badgers, so there is currently no sports writer on staff.

Comment

Working...
                                X