Matt Zimmer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt Zimmer

Apparently Sunday's game was Matt Zimmer's last coverage to the Argus Leader. He posted on Twitter last night that he is leaving the Argus and going to work for Forum Communications for their new media venture in Sioux Falls.

I know Zim wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but he's a pretty good writer and offered some unique insight on the Jackrabbits.

Just like Terry Vandrovec, whoever gets the SDSU beat has some pretty big shoes to fill.
    I am Ed. Fear me.

Zimmer was great and like JR1 said above, the next person has big shoes to fill.

Comment

I don't think they will fill them (like we r used to anyway), the independent sources (soon to be Zimmer), are taking over.. Argus is a dinosaur, and simply not needed for this purpose.

Comment

Zimmer has really taken to the SDSU beat the last 2 or 3 years. He was fair and I like his slightly irreverent style.
        Sports aren't so serious that you can't have a little fun and call out the bs.

Comment

I have maintained an online Argus subscription to the Argus because of Matt’s coverage. He was solid. I doubt we’ll get something similar from them at any point going forward. It’s not a good industry to be in anymore.

Hopefully this doesn’t mean the end of the NLA podcast. Matt and John were good together.

Comment

Argus is done for it seems. Matt sounds like he’s excited about the change. He’s worked hard and glad he’ll still be covering the area.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
              I have maintained an online Argus subscription to the Argus because of Matt’s coverage. He was solid. I doubt we’ll get something similar from them at any point going forward. It’s not a good industry to be in anymore.

Hopefully this doesn’t mean the end of the NLA podcast. Matt and John were good together.
              Me too; I don't think I'll renew after this subscription ends.

I appreciate the Ungulate "intel" available via Dom Izzo, and I'd be a fan of Gaskins/Borg/Zimmer replicating what Izzo/McFeely/Kolpack provide as the WDAY-Inforum collaborative.

Comment

I've been really disappointed with the Argus Leader. Not so much with the writers, because they are good people. What's upset me is the fact that Gannett is trying to become profitable at the cost of hacking away limbs of it's strongest-performing papers.

And I also have a personal beef with Argus, in that it turned my hometown paper (The Dell Rapids Tribune), and turned it into a collection of second-run Argus reprints before finally shutting it down. Shameful.

But this is the way of the world... new media, new media sources (The Dakota Scout is a really good, locally-owned paper), and new technologies are making the corporate-owned newspapers and radio stations obsolete. And frankly, for all the good that corporate ownership can offer (better pay and benefits for employees), the top-down style of leadership can be out-of-touch and myopic.

I wish Matt the best with Forum. I think he'll do great there. And I may just cancel my digital Argus subscription for the Mitchell Republic.
                I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
                  I've been really disappointed with the Argus Leader. Not so much with the writers, because they are good people. What's upset me is the fact that Gannett is trying to become profitable at the cost of hacking away limbs of it's strongest-performing papers.

And I also have a personal beef with Argus, in that it turned my hometown paper (The Dell Rapids Tribune), and turned it into a collection of second-run Argus reprints before finally shutting it down. Shameful.

But this is the way of the world... new media, new media sources (The Dakota Scout is a really good, locally-owned paper), and new technologies are making the corporate-owned newspapers and radio stations obsolete. And frankly, for all the good that corporate ownership can offer (better pay and benefits for employees), the top-down style of leadership can be out-of-touch and myopic.

I wish Matt the best with Forum. I think he'll do great there. And I may just cancel my digital Argus subscription for the Mitchell Republic.
                  What I'm curious about is whether an InForum subscription would get you content Zim would write for SF Live and the Daily Republic

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

What I'm curious about is whether an InForum subscription would get you content Zim would write for SF Live and the Daily Republic
                    I thought I read something about subscribing to a Forum Communications paper gives you content across it's properties... But I could be wrong.

But the SF Live, I believe is free.
                    I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

I am seeing the same Twitter handle which is @argusmatt. Is there another location where he is tweeting? Thank you for any information.
                      He also has articles in today's Argus edition. Is he on a "2 week" exit?
                      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                        I am seeing the same Twitter handle which is @argusmatt. Is there another location where he is tweeting? Thank you for any information.
                        He also has articles in today's Argus edition. Is he on a "2 week" exit?
                        He's still working for the Argus until January 23rd. Then he starts working for Forum Communications, mainly for Sioux Falls Live and the Mitchell Daily Republic.
                        I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post

I thought I read something about subscribing to a Forum Communications paper gives you content across it's properties... But I could be wrong.

But the SF Live, I believe is free.
                          You are correct about access to the Forum Communications network.

Comment

You can sign up for SiouxFallsLive.com and receive it online once a week at no cost.
                            https://www.siouxfallslive.com/
                            This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                              You can sign up for SiouxFallsLive.com and receive it online once a week at no cost.
                              https://www.siouxfallslive.com/
                              I'll be curious to see if Zim's content becomes Daily Republic "subscriber only" material

Comment

Working...
                              X