Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This fall should be fun….

Comment

well it appears that at least the majority of those who are willing to speak up on this topic got what they wanted. i hope it all works out in the best possible way!! i mean that SINCERELY!

i think this conversation, at least the part in the open, has been at least a little dishonest. there are pros and cons on both sides of this discussion or debate. it is not so simple as more money = GOOD and potentially better attendance at games = GOOD. BOR = bad because they did not rollover and agree immediately

and at least now we will see what impact this has on attendance. i do believe there is a chance for an increase but i am not sure it will be huge and i do not think it is a slam dunk. maybe my thought will be wrong, but one way or the other we will know the answer to that

but i will venture one of the things the BOR took into account is the fact that once this genie is out of the bottle it will be damn near impossible to put it back in the bottle

and to anyone who wants to have an honest conversation there are REAL challenges that go along with alcohol. one cry of date violence or date rape connected to some coeds being overserved at a FB game puts a big stain on the university for a big chunk of time.

and PLEASE, i told you i see good and bad on both sides of this!!! i AM NOT way WAY against what has been approved!! and i have LOTS of friends who drink. i am NOT some puritanical radical on this topic!!

i am just saying, at least as far as the PUBLIC discussion of this topic, it has been very one sided and i would say dishonest. if you think my example is extreme. first look up the stats on what % of rape and domestic violence involve alcohol as opposed to what % do not. truthfully to the part of the public that screams and hollers about equality and what a big percentage of men are abusers, etc... it they really wanted to solve that problem they would just get rid of alcohol and it would be HUGELY problem solved. not totally! but a HUGE %

once you look at those numbers then look at the drastic changes and the public blackeyes that schools and organizations have taken in the last couple decades related to those issues. i mean ONE mention of even a tiny problem and SOME people would NEVER let the university get past it

there are other cons to this. jake more or less brought up many of them. i am not going to try to come up with some type of comprehensive list.

to those of you who got what you very badly wanted congratulations and i truly do hope this becomes a best case scenario with LOTS and LOTS of positives and minimal problems

to those kind of in the middle like me, well as i said i am hoping for the best

for those who did not want this at your school, i am still going to trust this school and believe that they are going to do everything they can to make this change work out in the best possible way

my guess is that they will continue to increase enforcement protocols to whatever level they feel is necessary to try and prevent any damaging or harmful events. and certainly they will do that to protect the school, some will think that is the ONLY thing they care about, but they will also do it to protect the students and others

so for those who got the win here, i hope you will recognize that they are trying to allow this thing that many want, while still protecting and wanting the best for the students. and whatever you think it looks like they have no desire to be nazis or thugs. and they dont GET OFF on punishing people or being fun haters

and i believe that the BOR has been trying to look at this from EVERY possible angle and to imagine all the problems and try to find the BEST way forward, as opposed to just saying more money more money more money good good good. i am not opposed to change but i think slow and well thought out change is good. everything in this world is happening faster all the time. nothing wrong with slowing it down sometimes.

it is much better to have a well thought out plan to prevent as many problems as possible, as opposed to having to come up with a well thought out plan to deal with problems after they happen because you rushed into something without thinking it through

Comment

All I want is a lousy beer at the game, what's the problem???

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post
          well it appears that at least the majority of those who are willing to speak up on this topic got what they wanted. i hope it all works out in the best possible way!! i mean that SINCERELY!

i think this conversation, at least the part in the open, has been at least a little dishonest. there are pros and cons on both sides of this discussion or debate. it is not so simple as more money = GOOD and potentially better attendance at games = GOOD. BOR = bad because they did not rollover and agree immediately

and at least now we will see what impact this has on attendance. i do believe there is a chance for an increase but i am not sure it will be huge and i do not think it is a slam dunk. maybe my thought will be wrong, but one way or the other we will know the answer to that

but i will venture one of the things the BOR took into account is the fact that once this genie is out of the bottle it will be damn near impossible to put it back in the bottle

and to anyone who wants to have an honest conversation there are REAL challenges that go along with alcohol. one cry of date violence or date rape connected to some coeds being overserved at a FB game puts a big stain on the university for a big chunk of time.

and PLEASE, i told you i see good and bad on both sides of this!!! i AM NOT way WAY against what has been approved!! and i have LOTS of friends who drink. i am NOT some puritanical radical on this topic!!

i am just saying, at least as far as the PUBLIC discussion of this topic, it has been very one sided and i would say dishonest. if you think my example is extreme. first look up the stats on what % of rape and domestic violence involve alcohol as opposed to what % do not. truthfully to the part of the public that screams and hollers about equality and what a big percentage of men are abusers, etc... it they really wanted to solve that problem they would just get rid of alcohol and it would be HUGELY problem solved. not totally! but a HUGE %

once you look at those numbers then look at the drastic changes and the public blackeyes that schools and organizations have taken in the last couple decades related to those issues. i mean ONE mention of even a tiny problem and SOME people would NEVER let the university get past it

there are other cons to this. jake more or less brought up many of them. i am not going to try to come up with some type of comprehensive list.

to those of you who got what you very badly wanted congratulations and i truly do hope this becomes a best case scenario with LOTS and LOTS of positives and minimal problems

for those who did not want this at your school, i am still going to trust this school and believe that they are going to do everything they can to make this change work out in the best possible way

my guess is that they will continue to increase enforcement protocols to whatever level they feel is necessary to try and prevent any damaging or harmful events. and certainly they will do that to protect the school, some will think that is the ONLY thing they care about, but they will also do it to protect the students and others

so for those who got the win here, i hope you will recognize that they are trying to allow this thing that many want, while still protecting and wanting the best for the students. and whatever you think it looks like they have no desire to be nazis or thugs. and they dont GET OFF on punishing people or being fun haters

and i believe that the BOR has been trying to look at this from EVERY possible angle and to imagine all the problems and try to find the BEST way forward, as opposed to just saying more money more money more money good good good. i am not opposed to change but i think slow and well thought out change is good. everything in this world is happening faster all the time. nothing wrong with slowing it down sometimes.

it is much better to have a well thought out plan to prevent as many problems as possible, as opposed to having to come up with a well thought out plan to deal with problems after they happen because you rushed into something without thinking it through
          I think students are more likely to be over-served at house parties or other off-campus locations, or tailgating than by buying eight dollar beers at a game.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
            Id rather have a quality beer but hey, what ever you like.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

I think students are more likely to be over-served at house parties or other off-campus locations, or tailgating than by buying eight dollar beers at a game.
              Truth.

Comment

The issue I have with the discussion is the absence of an open acknowlegment of concomitant costs.

Intimate partner violence you mentioned is another potential consideration, but I'd also be somewhat concerned with impaired driving, given the extent to which attendees commute to games. Lastly, I hope any costs for the alcohol sales are predominantly borne by those buying alcohol rather than Athletics subsidizing this by increasing ticket prices.

Ideally, I'd like to see the Jacks have something like Augie's Beer Garden for the "proletariat" and grandstand sales (if any) confined to the west side boxes and "red zone" sections on both sides.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post

Id rather have a quality beer but hey, what ever you like.
                  Whatever they sell is good enough , unfortunately, that probably doesn't translate to a quality beer.
                  Last edited by jackdaniel; 06-25-2022, 01:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                    i hope NO PROBLEM at all JD))!!! and TRULY i am happy for those who can responsibly enjoy a beer at the game to be able to enjoy a beer at the game!!!! i really am!! grown people who CAN drink their beer responsibly ABSOLUTELY should be able to do it!!!!

my point was and is simply that i think the public conversation about this has been extremely one sided with kind of an assumption that ANYONE who was against this was part of some evil conspiracy.

i simply think that there are 2 real and honest and NOT EVIL sides to this discussion

i am happy for you and everyone like you JD who can responsibly enjoy your beer and as i said I HOPE FOR THE BEST. i hope this will truly bring all the best hoped for and intended results and none or at least very few of the potential negative consequences

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

The issue I have with the discussion is the absence of an open acknowlegment of concomitant costs.

Intimate partner violence you mentioned is another potential consideration, but I'd also be somewhat concerned with impaired driving, given the extent to which attendees commute to games. Lastly, I hope any costs for the alcohol sales are predominantly borne by those buying alcohol rather than Athletics subsidizing this by increasing ticket prices.

Ideally, I'd like to see the Jacks have something like Augie's Beer Garden for the "proletariat" and grandstand sales (if any) confined to the west side boxes and "red zone" sections on both sides.
                      absolutely jake!!! i did TRY to say that i thought there were multiple potential problems. i did not want to try to give the full list

you know i have bit of a bad reputation for being kind of long winded. (maybe some would even say blow hard or know it all??) tried to keep my post to journal article size as opposed to full on mini novel

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

ONE HUNDRED PERCENT!!! obviously college kids can find all kinds of places and ways to act up and make stupid decisions)))!!! and thankfully nobody gets hurt from the huge majority of those!!! but i think the school and BOR, at least HOPE, and try to do as much as they can to protect students and others who attend school functions and to NOT be tied to decisions that lead to harm

Comment

i hope NO PROBLEM at all JD))!!! and TRULY i am happy for those who can responsibly enjoy a beer at the game to be able to enjoy a beer at the game!!!! i really am!! grown people who CAN drink their beer responsibly ABSOLUTELY should be able to do it!!!!

my point was and is simply that i think the public conversation about this has been extremely one sided with kind of an assumption that ANYONE who was against this was part of some evil conspiracy.

i simply think that there are 2 real and honest and NOT EVIL sides to this discussion

i am happy for you and everyone like you JD who can responsibly enjoy your beer and as i said I HOPE FOR THE BEST. i hope this will truly bring all the best hoped for and intended results and none or at least very few of the potential negative consequences
                          I wasn't seriously annoyed , just making light of the tedious (to me) process of making some kind of logical and responsible decision on the matter, like you, hope it turns out for the best with few, hopefully no problems.

Comment

absolutely jake!!! i did TRY to say that i thought there were multiple potential problems. i did not want to try to give the full list

you know i have bit of a bad reputation for being kind of long winded. (maybe some would even say blow hard or know it all??) tried to keep my post to journal article size as opposed to full on mini novel
                            Depending on what kind of mini novel, I could read an action/adventure no problem! Just keep it interesting and I'll read the whole thing.

Comment

Well, if it's a mini novel involving multiple Jacks' championships, SDSU ice cream, and a jakejc795-inspired character "getting the girl"...

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

Well, if it's a mini novel involving multiple Jacks' championships, SDSU ice cream, and a jakejc795-inspired character "getting the girl"...
                                I'm in on all that!

Comment

Working...
                                X