Alcohol Sales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alcohol Sales

There was a story in the Collegian last week about approving alcohol sales. This would be up to the Board of Regents, not the legislature.

https://sdsucollegian.com/22247/opin...llege-gameday/

A report in 2015 said projected revenues from concessions would be essentially double, currently at over $200,000. Thoughts?

20 years ago when I was an undergrad, there was talk that Budweiser offered 1 million a year to SDSU to just sell at sporting events and put 1 tap in the basement of the union.....Or something to that effect.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I would guess this will pass. I am all for it as long as people don't abuse the privilege and the cops don't act like jack booted thugs. Either extreme is going to ruin the ambiance for the average fan. But like the article states it has been proven to work in past instances. Without a doubt extra revenue is always welcome from the universities standpoint.

Comment

https://www.dakotanewsnow.com/2021/1...sible-changes/

New story by Dakota News Now. It still needs to pass the Students Association. They will be voting Monday at 7pm in the upstairs of the union. They are looking for everyone to show up in support, including alumni, go if you can and support the Jackrabbit brand.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
          20 years ago when I was an undergrad, there was talk that Budweiser offered 1 million a year to SDSU to just sell at sporting events and put 1 tap in the basement of the union.....Or something to that effect.
          I heard that rumor the fall of my Freshman year, in the Fall of 1988. It's been around a while.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post

I heard that rumor the fall of my Freshman year, in the Fall of 1988. It's been around a while.
            The rumor the fall of my Freshman year in '84 was that either Bud, Miller or Coors had offered to build a new Student Union if they could sell beer there.
            @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
            --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

According to Zim: Was just told by a source that the South Dakota Board of Regents will not be moving forward with beer sales at public university events in the 2022-23 school year. "Not enough general support," was the reason, I'm told.

Comment

Originally posted by NWHSUandSDSU View Post
                According to Zim: Was just told by a source that the South Dakota Board of Regents will not be moving forward with beer sales at public university events in the 2022-23 school year. "Not enough general support," was the reason, I'm told.
                Just amazing. They are blatantly going against popular opinion. And I know the BOR isn’t an elected body, but our State Government is just a joke on so many levels. And that isn’t really a republican or democrat thing either, it’s just the absolute hatred of any form of “change” that permeates the entire legislative and executive body in this state.

Comment

Update tweet: Update on this: the BOR has NOT ruled out moving on alcohol sales for 2022-23. But will not bring the topic up for discussion at their May meeting. @bymorganmatzen will have more.

Comment

Email your legislators.

Comment

This is just ridiculous at this point. I don’t know anyone who is remotely against this so the “public opinion” defense is bull$#!%. There are multiple BOR members that are SDSU alums or have ties to SDSU which makes me even more upset about this. Thank you South Dakota government officials for continuing to keep our state in the 1800’s and ruining any good ideas.

Comment

Saw an interview yesterday on KSFY with Brian Maher, who is Exec. Director for the BOR about alcohol sales. He said they want to get all the info on the topic, and that a decision could be made in June.

Comment

Originally posted by GoJacks2011 View Post
                          This is just ridiculous at this point. I don’t know anyone who is remotely against this so the “public opinion” defense is bull$#!%. There are multiple BOR members that are SDSU alums or have ties to SDSU which makes me even more upset about this. Thank you South Dakota government officials for continuing to keep our state in the 1800’s and ruining any good ideas.
                          Oh, as in so many things, you can be sure a very noisy minority will be, well, very noisy. That's the way of the world.
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post

Oh, as in so many things, you can be sure a very noisy minority will be, well, very noisy. That's the way of the world.
                            Finding the signal through the noise needs to cut both ways. OP indicated concession sales were estimated to double, but it's important to note the task force update referenced specified SDSU's gross sales were estimated to increase by $122k (pg. 4).

The same update states on pg. 5:

"The task force lacked specific information on the expected increased costs for security, staffing, insurance, other risk management, janitorial costs, and general maintenance. Everyone believed there would be increased costs but did not have data to share on how much. To make a stronger business case for alcohol sales, it was recommended that all forms of expected revenue be considered, including potential revenue from other event and sponsorship opportunities, minus the expected expenses of increased maintenance, risk management programs, liability insurance, and other associated costs."

Proponents are making their own noise, but the silence regarding concomitant cost is deafening. Any chance we can enact a preemptive forum policy that if/when alcohol sales are approved, we ban posts whining about how much the beer costs?

Comment

Per Addison Dehaven Twitter and BOR

Updated from the Board of Regent's agenda: The proposed revisions to BOR Policy 6:14 would allow for alcohol to be sold in GA seating.

"Staff recommends approval.”

per Michael Mccleary Twitter

South Dakota Board of Regents unanimously approved an expanded alcohol sales policy Thursday, allowing South Dakota public universities "extend the sale of alcoholic beverages into general admission areas of performing arts and athletic events." Into effect 2022-23 school year.
                              Last edited by NWHSUandSDSU; 06-23-2022, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X