Pheasant State?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pheasant State?

Will someone explain the new 'Pheasant State' line? I know that pheasant hunting is big in SD but I am missing the specific connection to SDSU.
    Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
    -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Its a brand line of apparel connected with SDSU and Pheasant hunting. I think its being used to promote both pheasant hunting in the state, and the ag/wildlife management/research element that SDSU provides in regards to pheasant hunting. SDSU has the only Wildlife management program in the state that I'm aware of, so most of the people in that field working in the state have direct ties to sdsu.

Not to mention, to many Americans, South Dakota is known for Pheasant hunting. Probably second only to Mt Rushmore. In my opinion, its been a huge marketing miss that SDSU hasn't tried to capture some of that image and incorporate it into the university more. Im glad to see this line of clothes, but I'd be happy to see alot more stuff in line with this. I think a few years ago I brought up the idea of a Pheasant Hunting themed game/uniform/etc., that coupled with opening day, a raffle hunt, tailgate displays and giveaways, could be a great marketing opportunity. There are local outdoor personalities on TV with SDSU ties, and organizations like Pheasants Forever have a large presence nationally that helps to broaden the image of SDSU. I also think SDSU had the first ever student chapter of PF.

I'm probably overstating it, but if SDSU were able to pitch themselves as "Pheasant U", there's going to be a lot of kids who may not have otherwise thought about going to school here that decode they want to take a second look. On my campus visit many years ago, I remember having several conversations with professors about bird hunting west of town, local organizations, etc. For out of state kids that enjoy hunting, its a big deal. I ended up loving everything about SDSU once I came to Brookings, but one of the primary reasons I ever became interested in them in the first place from 2000 miles away was because I wanted to go to school somewhere I could watch FCS football on Saturday and go shoot birds on Sunday.

It could be a good marketing tool.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
      Its a brand line of apparel connected with SDSU and Pheasant hunting. I think its being used to promote both pheasant hunting in the state, and the ag/wildlife management/research element that SDSU provides in regards to pheasant hunting. SDSU has the only Wildlife management program in the state that I'm aware of, so most of the people in that field working in the state have direct ties to sdsu.

Not to mention, to many Americans, South Dakota is known for Pheasant hunting. Probably second only to Mt Rushmore. In my opinion, its been a huge marketing miss that SDSU hasn't tried to capture some of that image and incorporate it into the university more. Im glad to see this line of clothes, but I'd be happy to see alot more stuff in line with this. I think a few years ago I brought up the idea of a Pheasant Hunting themed game/uniform/etc., that coupled with opening day, a raffle hunt, tailgate displays and giveaways, could be a great marketing opportunity. There are local outdoor personalities on TV with SDSU ties, and organizations like Pheasants Forever have a large presence nationally that helps to broaden the image of SDSU. I also think SDSU had the first ever student chapter of PF.

I'm probably overstating it, but if SDSU were able to pitch themselves as "Pheasant U", there's going to be a lot of kids who may not have otherwise thought about going to school here that decode they want to take a second look. On my campus visit many years ago, I remember having several conversations with professors about bird hunting west of town, local organizations, etc. For out of state kids that enjoy hunting, its a big deal. I ended up loving everything about SDSU once I came to Brookings, but one of the primary reasons I ever became interested in them in the first place from 2000 miles away was because I wanted to go to school somewhere I could watch FCS football on Saturday and go shoot birds on Sunday.

It could be a good marketing tool.
      Any big name in pro sports when asked about familiarity of South Dakota, they usually mention pheasant hunting once or more times. It does not hurt to promote.

Comment

I did not think about the Wildlife Management side of hunting. That makes more sense than just SD being the pheasant state.
        Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
        -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

I already bought a t-shirt and hat. It’s decent stuff.
          Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

As one of those Wildlife Management graduates working as a government employee I can attest that SDSU grads dominate the field at both the state and federal level. SD GF&P is especially loaded with Jackrabbits.

I'll definitely pick up a couple of the new Pheasant State items - good idea.

Comment

Working...
            X