TV taking job at Sanford Health

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TV taking job at Sanford Health

Oh I have no doubt he may be put on the beat short term, but who knows what the Argus will do given their recent re-organization which i posted a couple articles on. If they want to hire me, I'll do it!

Comment

Zimmer wrote this today in his little paragraph about his live chat.

"Today is live chat day.

We can talk about Augie and USF basketball, the NFL playoffs, the Twins (I wrote this excellent column about Brian Dozier from the Winter Caravan last night), and whatever else.

And I should probably go ahead and acknowledge that with Terry Vandrovec leaving Feb. 1, yes, there will obviously be some adjustments to our coverage at the Argus that will have a significant effect on me.

I'll answer whatever questions you have about that as best as I can.

See you at 2."

Comment

Originally posted by YanktonJack7 View Post
        Zimmer wrote this today in his little paragraph about his live chat.

"Today is live chat day.

We can talk about Augie and USF basketball, the NFL playoffs, the Twins (I wrote this excellent column about Brian Dozier from the Winter Caravan last night), and whatever else.

And I should probably go ahead and acknowledge that with Terry Vandrovec leaving Feb. 1, yes, there will obviously be some adjustments to our coverage at the Argus that will have a significant effect on me.

I'll answer whatever questions you have about that as best as I can.

See you at 2."
        I think it's going to be Zimmer just based on that.

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
          I think it's going to be Zimmer just based on that.
          I would guess that Zimmer takes over the beat for the remainder of the winter sports season and they will look for a permanent replacement in the Spring.

SDSU is the biggest sports beat at the Argus, they aren't going to place a rookie on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
            I would guess that Zimmer takes over the beat for the remainder of the winter sports season and they will look for a permanent replacement in the Spring.

SDSU is the biggest sports beat at the Argus, they aren't going to place a rookie on it.
            That's my feeling as well

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
              That's my feeling as well
              I'd be surprised if they hired someone instead of put more work onto one of their current employee's, TV said when Stu was re-assigned that the Sports Editor position was gone, there was not to be a replacement, put on the chopping block, the position a victim of reorganization. We might see the same here. Hope not though.We don't know how desparate they may be,maybe it's a necessity to stay afloat.

Comment

I can tell you right now my subscription was directly related to TV and the coverage he provided. They will get a grace period. But if I'm not happy I'm gone for sure.

Comment

I second that!

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                    I will miss Terry and his coverage greatly. But good for him, I'm certain with all the health troubles of his little ones, it has to weigh on him to take all those (sometimes long) road trips.

The first name that popped into my mind was also Marcus Traxler. He's working at the Mitchell Republic, I believe. And if I remember right, he even wrote a few things for the Argus once upon a time, when TV was unavailable. He would be very similar to TV in that he's strong in social media, and would be great at the ingame chats.

Zimmer, while I love him as a writer, I don't see him covering the Jacks, unless forced to. He is a Sioux Falls kid, he loves covering Augie and USF, and I can't see him leave that beat for someone else. It means too much to him.

It will certainly be interesting. I'm not sure if Traxler could be unbiased, which was a good point. But he's a good writer, and a good reporter.
                    Marcus is a pro. He would be tough, but fair and would be an outstanding choice.
                    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I will add 2 points to this thread:
                      1) Per Mick Garry's chat a couple of weeks ago, the net result of the reorg at the Argus was the elimination of 120 hours per week in the sports department.
                      2) The perceived bias of most sports writers or broadcasters normally is more a result of the actual bias of the reader or listener
                      USD Fan

Comment

Originally posted by hareball View Post
                        I will add 2 points to this thread:
                        1) Per Mick Garry's chat a couple of weeks ago, the net result of the reorg at the Argus was the elimination of 120 hours per week in the sports department.
                        2) The perceived bias of most sports writers or broadcasters normally is more a result of the actual bias of the reader or listener
                        Excellent points. TV did a great job, the Argus found him. Best of luck to TV.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Zimmer confirmed that he will be taking over the SDSU beat when TV leaves. Also said he doesn't know if it's permanent or not.

Comment

Zimmer just confirmed on his live chat he'll be covering the Jacks when TV leaves.

"Terry's last day at the Argus is Jan. 31. When he's done, I will be shifting from the Augustana/USF beat to SDSU. Tom Savage, who is our best freelancer, will be handling the majority of the NSIC coverage at that point."

"I can't say if that will be permanent going forward. When Terry leaves, we'll be down to three sportswriters -- myself, Mick and David Nicholson (our new high school guy). We'll do our best to keep up with everything, but obviously in the short term we're all going to be stretched thin. At some point, we will be hiring another full time sportswriter. That person could replace Terry, or he could replace me as the NSIC person. Don't know yet."

All SDSU fans should follow his twitter: @argusmattz

He also has a personal twitter account (and he's pretty funny most of the time): @mattyzimmer

Comment

I'd be lying if I said this weren't severely disappointing. There aren't many sportswriters left who cover the NSIC well, and losing Zimmer is a blow to not one, but two NSIC schools.

I'm sure Jacks fans will love certain things and take issue with others. As can be seen in his recent article on USF's horrible basketball attendance, he's not afraid to pursue stories that might not thrill the powers that be, but that's what makes him a solid sportswriter in my opinion. He's not all about fluff pieces and only highlighting the positives. He'll do a great job for the Jackrabbits, whether it's a short-term reassignment or a permanent one.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
                                I'd be lying if I said this weren't severely disappointing. There aren't many sportswriters left who cover the NSIC well, and losing Zimmer is a blow to not one, but two NSIC schools.

I'm sure Jacks fans will love certain things and take issue with others. As can be seen in his recent article on USF's horrible basketball attendance, he's not afraid to pursue stories that might not thrill the powers that be, but that's what makes him a solid sportswriter in my opinion. He's not all about fluff pieces and only highlighting the positives. He'll do a great job for the Jackrabbits, whether it's a short-term reassignment or a permanent one.
                                That's the thing I like about Zimmer. He doesn't beat around the bush. He proves his point whether it is a positive thing or not. He was the best option to take over the SDSU beats imo.

Comment

Working...
                                X