Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Senate Bill 11 - Indoor practice facility

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    Please refrain for such comments ... we're trying to avoid politics on this board.

But note: taking shots at individual representatives or senators based on their voting against SDSU issues is fair game so long as one doesn't start dragging in one party vs another party.

Rabibit74: please check your PMs. Thanks.
    I think he simply stating a fact. There are a lot more republicans in the state house (and senate for that matter) stands to reason more would be opposed.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
      I've asked several lawmakers that have voted in opposition to these donor funded project why they are opposed. The answer is generally the same, they feel the money donated to athletic facilities would be better spent on other non-athletic based projects and feel by opposing this kind of legislation they are forwarding their agenda to support education ahead of athletics.

I have tried to explain that many donors, myself included, would not be donating as much to education as we do if a premier athletic program was not part of it. The legislators I have spoken with do not believe I am being sincere when I say that. So, its a belief that money spent on athletic programs would better be spent elsewhere.
      Leave it to a politician to decide where WE should be spending OUR hard earned money. What a load of sh..! If I have disposable income and I want to donate to SDSU or Terry or the bum on the corner, I have that choice. Voting no on something like the building projects as SDSU and USD that costs the State of SD nothing is just plain dumb.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
        Leave it to a politician to decide where WE should be spending OUR hard earned money. What a load of sh..! If I have disposable income and I want to donate to SDSU or Terry or the bum on the corner, I have that choice. Voting no on something like the building projects as SDSU and USD that costs the State of SD nothing is just plain dumb.
        So they dont see how soprts have added funds for scholarships, and that the sdsu foundation just had its more sucsessful campaign ever. They might not see it but this building does help students in many ways not just athletically. I will say when I was on the tennis team, we could only practice in the Hper, or at the elemtary school i think it was late at night. We would be the only ones in the building at 10pm practicing because that was the only time the tennis team could get in to work out and have room. not the ideal situation for college students. Now because of this building, more teams can have more ideal practice and training at better times which will make it easier for students to be a student athlete.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I've asked several lawmakers....they feel the money donated to athletic facilities would be better spent on other non-athletic based projects and feel by opposing this kind of legislation they are forwarding their agenda to support education ahead of athletics....The legislators I have spoken with do not believe I am being sincere when I say that. So, its a belief that money spent on athletic programs would better be spent elsewhere.
          I would be in favor of an IQ test before you can be placed on a ballot. Anyone else in favor? (That's as political as I will allow myself to become <on this board> on the issue. Am I safe in suggesting such a measure?)

Comment

There were even 5 votes against Senate Bill 10, the Swine Teaching Unit, believe it or not!

What's our Mission?

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
              There were even 5 votes against Senate Bill 10, the Swine Teaching Unit, believe it or not!

What's our Mission?
              And that is also funded with a lot of donated money - I know $750,000 was recognized at the Pork Classic game from just 3 donors.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHash5takWU
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

From "Horse Feathers".

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    From "Horse Feathers".
                    "Whatever it is, I'm against it!"
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

• Re: Senate Bill 11 - Indoor practice facility

MD, next time tell them that some of us donate more to academics than athletics and would appreciate it if they would pick up their end.

I've asked several lawmakers that have voted in opposition to these donor funded project why they are opposed. The answer is generally the same, they feel the money donated to athletic facilities would be better spent on other non-athletic based projects and feel by opposing this kind of legislation they are forwarding their agenda to support education ahead of athletics.

I have tried to explain that many donors, myself included, would not be donating as much to education as we do if a premier athletic program was not part of it. The legislators I have spoken with do not believe I am being sincere when I say that. So, its a belief that money spent on athletic programs would better be spent elsewhere.
                      You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                        So they dont see how soprts have added funds for scholarships, and that the sdsu foundation just had its more sucsessful campaign ever. They might not see it but this building does help students in many ways not just athletically. I will say when I was on the tennis team, we could only practice in the Hper, or at the elemtary school i think it was late at night. We would be the only ones in the building at 10pm practicing because that was the only time the tennis team could get in to work out and have room. not the ideal situation for college students. Now because of this building, more teams can have more ideal practice and training at better times which will make it easier for students to be a student athlete.
                        Correlation doesn't equal causation... Harvard's endowment must really suffer due to their lack of athletic prowess...

I'm glad the bill passed. It is probably needed and will benefit SDSU athletics and athletes greatly.

I was talking to someone today who happens to have 3 kids who play combinations of football, wrestle, play basketball, and run track for a school in the Sioux Falls area. He has lived in South Dakota his whole life and has owned his own business for the last 30 years or so. He has at least a college degree. His kids are smart and will go to college, although in past discussions he has fretted at the rising costs of a college education. I told him I was going to the Summit tournament this weekend, he got a quizzical look on his face and said "SDSU is in that, right?" I chuckled and said yes they were. He said "Isn't USD in it too?" Yes. "What about Augustana?" . . .

Sports just aren't that important to a lot of people. The idea of spending millions of dollars on a practice facility is insane to them.

IMO, that doesn't make them wrong. It just means they have a different opinion than I do. My opinion seems to be in line with a majority of the state congress. In 50 years the practice facility will still be standing and no one will remember the names of those who voted against it. I just can't get that worked up about 9 guys having a different opinion than me.

By the way, history could make these guys out to look like geniuses. Food for thought.
                        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                          Correlation doesn't equal causation... Harvard's endowment must really suffer due to their lack of athletic prowess...

I'm glad the bill passed. It is probably needed and will benefit SDSU athletics and athletes greatly.

I was talking to someone today who happens to have 3 kids who play combinations of football, wrestle, play basketball, and run track for a school in the Sioux Falls area. He has lived in South Dakota his whole life and has owned his own business for the last 30 years or so. He has at least a college degree. His kids are smart and will go to college, although in past discussions he has fretted at the rising costs of a college education. I told him I was going to the Summit tournament this weekend, he got a quizzical look on his face and said "SDSU is in that, right?" I chuckled and said yes they were. He said "Isn't USD in it too?" Yes. "What about Augustana?" . . .

Sports just aren't that important to a lot of people. The idea of spending millions of dollars on a practice facility is insane to them.

IMO, that doesn't make them wrong. It just means they have a different opinion than I do. My opinion seems to be in line with a majority of the state congress. In 50 years the practice facility will still be standing and no one will remember the names of those who voted against it. I just can't get that worked up about 9 guys having a different opinion than me.

By the way, history could make these guys out to look like geniuses. Food for thought.
                          I'm not saying one was the cause of the other. More so 2 seperate thoughts. Fans have donated money for the practice facility and scholarships which benefits the school one way. Also alumni and friends donated money to sdsu in record numbers for the sdsu foundation campiagn. So the private sector has donated huge amounts to sdsu for a variety of reasons.
                          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                            Correlation doesn't equal causation... Harvard's endowment must really suffer due to their lack of athletic prowess...I'm glad the bill passed. It is probably needed and will benefit SDSU athletics and athletes greatly.I was talking to someone today who happens to have 3 kids who play combinations of football, wrestle, play basketball, and run track for a school in the Sioux Falls area. He has lived in South Dakota his whole life and has owned his own business for the last 30 years or so. He has at least a college degree. His kids are smart and will go to college, although in past discussions he has fretted at the rising costs of a college education. I told him I was going to the Summit tournament this weekend, he got a quizzical look on his face and said "SDSU is in that, right?" I chuckled and said yes they were. He said "Isn't USD in it too?" Yes. "What about Augustana?" . . .Sports just aren't that important to a lot of people. The idea of spending millions of dollars on a practice facility is insane to them.IMO, that doesn't make them wrong. It just means they have a different opinion than I do. My opinion seems to be in line with a majority of the state congress. In 50 years the practice facility will still be standing and no one will remember the names of those who voted against it. I just can't get that worked up about 9 guys having a different opinion than me.By the way, history could make these guys out to look like geniuses. Food for thought.
                            Solid post. I hadn't thought of it that way through my SDSU colored goggles.
                            Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                              Solid post. I hadn't thought of it that way through my SDSU colored goggles.
                              I would agree with SDSUALum08. SF-Jack-fan made some excellent points, Do you suppose back in 1912 or so there might have been some SD legislators who opposed the building of SDSC Fieldhouse, aka the Intramural Building today? I dont have the roll call from that era, but I suspect there were. Apparently we got a majority of those represenatives and state senators to vote in favor of this "barn looking building back then and the adminstration went forward just as today we go forward with the indoor facility. The rest is history.

Comment

Vandrovec just tweeted:

Just in: SDSU gets $1M from First Bank & Trust for indoor practice facility, bringing pledges to $28M of the $32M.
                                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                                X