Tyler Merriam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyler Merriam

Just learned that Tyler Merriam was named the South Dakota Sportscaster of the Year by the National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association. His cousin, Roger Merriman of the Watertown Public Opinion, was named the South Dakota Sportswriter of the Year.

A great honor for both Merriams!
    I am Ed. Fear me.

Re: Tyler Merriam

Congrats Tyler!!!! We are so blessed to have him as our Sportscaster. Nobody works harder than him at his job.
    Go Big, Go Blue, Go Jacks!!!

Comment

We are very lucky to have Tyler. He paints a great picture of the game, reports rather than cheers, and educates his listeners about the Jacks and their opponent. It's amazing how many announcers that are twice Tyler's age and supposively at the top of their profession (i.e. ESPN) that can't hold a candle to him.
      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
      - Steven Wright

Comment

Every time I listen to an away game I am reminded how great Tyler is! And he also manages to tweet updated scores and stats as well as doing the broadcasting. He is an outstanding commentator for the Jacks and we are lucky to have him.
        Message for the youth: “Set your goals high and work for them, because if you set your goals where they should be, it’s going to require a lot of hard work. And even if you don’t achieve them, it shows longevity, and it shows commitment. And those are both things you need for the rest of your life,” Tony Fiegen

Comment

It's always great when somebody who works really hard gets recognized. When he was a kid in Pierre, Tyler recorded baseball games on TV so he could play them back and practice his play-by-play. He is constantly working to improve. He does his homework and knows his stuff. You have to enjoy watching a young man like Tyler come into his own. We're lucky to have him. And we'll be lucky to keep him.
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

When I first heard Tyler do a baseball game, I thought for a while , we had a future Vince Scully, the long time voice of the LA Dodgers doing our game. Who knows, Tyler just might get some great opportunity down the road.

I believe Tyler has an uncle or maybe a grand uncle, named Lyle who was a student when I was and he had an unbeliveable singing voice. He did the vocals for the summer commencement in 1965, when I walked across the stage in air conditioned Donor Auto. No doubt Tyler has inherited those great communication skills, and does a bang up job with all sports. You can go anywhere from here.

Comment

I thought his name was Lyle Merriman.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
                I thought his name was Lyle Merriman.
                Thats what I said, Tyler's Uncle's name, is/was Lyle.

Comment

Merriam vs. Merriman---different last names, I think. Lyle had two M's.

P.s.--Actually found a 66 Jackrabbit yearbook. Lyle was only in the index, no pictures although I thought he was a BMOC. He is Lyle Dean MerriMAN.
                  Last edited by Grizzled_Jack; 01-11-2013, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Merriam vs. Merriman---different last names, I think. Lyle had two M's.

P.s.--Actually found a 66 Jackrabbit yearbook. Lyle was only in the index, no pictures although I thought he was a BMOC. He is Lyle Dean MerriMAN.
                    I never noticed the spelling difference, my bad. So most likely they are not related.
                    What is a BMOC?

Comment

Big Man on Campus-- Term probably hasn't been used since the early sixties. When I put that in, I thought you and I were probably the only ones to know that. Now I'm probably the last person on earth.....

Comment

Big Man on Campus-- Term probably hasn't been used since the early sixties. When I put that in, I thought you and I were probably the only ones to know that. Now I'm probably the last person on earth.....
                        Lyle was big in the Statesman Chorus as I recall, and Tyler does resemble Lyle somewhat or as I remember how Lyle looked in the mid 1960's, I was almost certain that there was a blood connection there. Not once did I ever notice the difference in spelling. Oh well. Congradulations to Tyler, he is the man and the voice of the Jacks. Oh I should have gotten the big man on campus ancyromn but life is slowing down for me.

Comment

Don't have to be that old to know what BMOC means.
                          You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Working...
                          X