• Town Meetings to be held by Board of Regents

http://www.sdbor.edu/mediapubs/press...090211Town.pdf

Schedule:

http://www.sdbor.edu/documents/TownMeetingSchedule.pdf

Re: Town Meetings to be held by Board of Regents

Thanks!

Comment

Yea I think I am going to try and catch a couple.

Comment

Members of the South Dakota Board of Regents will hold 16 town meetings across the state, starting tonight in Watertown, to open dialogue on the importance of public higher education in South Dakota.

Area legislators will host the town meetings in their respective communities. At least one regent and leadership from the Board of Regents office will lead the presentations.

The list below includes the full schedule. All town meetings start at 7 p.m. local time, with one noted exception:

• Sept. 19 at Watertown;
        • Sept. 21 at Aberdeen;
        • Sept. 22 at Webster;
        • Oct. 3 at Hill City;
        • Oct. 5 at Sioux Falls;
        • Oct. 6 at Brookings;
        • Oct. 10 at Vermillion;
        • Oct. 13 at Yankton;
        • Oct. 20 at Rapid City;
        • Oct. 25 at Huron;
        • Nov. 7 at North Sioux City;
        • Nov. 8 at Pierre;
        • Nov. 9 at Dupree;
        • Nov. 15 at Martin;
        • Nov. 16 at Mission (12:30 p.m. CST); and
        • Dec. 12 at Spearfish.

The regents continue to emphasize education as a key component of the state’s economy. The universities attract new residents to South Dakota, and university-based research and development contributes to the state’s economic growth. Ideas exchanged at the town meetings this fall will help South Dakota’s public universities plan for the future.

Go State!

Comment

could have saved some money for the state by scheduling regional meetings instead of going from Hill City to Sioux Falls then Yankton to Rapid and back to Huron. unless those guys like to drive a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
            could have saved some money for the state by scheduling regional meetings instead of going from Hill City to Sioux Falls then Yankton to Rapid and back to Huron. unless those guys like to drive a lot.
            I think if you'll notice, there is a big gap in the days between Hill City and Sioux Falls and likewise, other dates in there. They may have other issues to deal with in those time frames and schedules may not have worked out.
            "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
            "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Different people are attending different meetings. Regent Johnson who lives in the Black Hills might attend the Hill City meeting. While Regent Krogman, from Brookings might attend the ones on the I-29 corridor. I don't know "for sure" who is going to which meeting, but I do know that this is how it was set up.

Go State!

Comment

From the Aberdeen News:

http://www.aberdeennews.com/news/aan...,4387496.story

Regents: Education fuels the economy
                Meeting stresses value, needs of public universities
                By Jeff Bahr, jbahr@aberdeennews.com11:17 a.m. CDT, September 22, 2011

A presentation Wednesday night in Aberdeen stressed the value and efficiency, as well as the needs, of South Dakota’s public universities.

Two representatives of the South Dakota Board of Regents spoke at the meeting, which was hosted by Aberdeen-area lawmakers. The gathering was attended by the presidents of Northern State University, South Dakota State University and the South Dakota School for the Blind and Visually Impaired.

Jack Warner, executive director of the Board of Regents, said South Dakota needs more educated young people “if we’re going to fuel the economy of tomorrow for South Dakota.”
                Warner said there are exceptions, but students who decide not to go to college are largely relegated to intermittent employment and low wages for most of their lives. The relationship between education and earning potential has increased significantly since 1973, and it will continue to grow, he said.

With $176 million provided by the state, the public universities generate $1.97 billion a year in long-run annual economic impact to South Dakota, Warner said.

Over the past 11 years, state support of public higher education in South Dakota dropped from 57 to 39 percent.

Still, the universities have graduated more students and improved the productivity of academic programs, Warner said. .
                . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit View Post
                  From the Aberdeen News:

http://www.aberdeennews.com/news/aan...,4387496.story

Regents: Education fuels the economy
                  Meeting stresses value, needs of public universities
                  By Jeff Bahr, jbahr@aberdeennews.com11:17 a.m. CDT, September 22, 2011

A presentation Wednesday night in Aberdeen stressed the value and efficiency, as well as the needs, of South Dakota’s public universities.

Two representatives of the South Dakota Board of Regents spoke at the meeting, which was hosted by Aberdeen-area lawmakers. The gathering was attended by the presidents of Northern State University, South Dakota State University and the South Dakota School for the Blind and Visually Impaired.

Jack Warner, executive director of the Board of Regents, said South Dakota needs more educated young people “if we’re going to fuel the economy of tomorrow for South Dakota.”
                  Warner said there are exceptions, but students who decide not to go to college are largely relegated to intermittent employment and low wages for most of their lives. The relationship between education and earning potential has increased significantly since 1973, and it will continue to grow, he said.

With $176 million provided by the state, the public universities generate $1.97 billion a year in long-run annual economic impact to South Dakota, Warner said.

Over the past 11 years, state support of public higher education in South Dakota dropped from 57 to 39 percent.

Still, the universities have graduated more students and improved the productivity of academic programs, Warner said. .
                  . . (read more)

Go State!

Highly underfunded, but yet manage to excel and develop. Imagine if our legislature cared about education.
                  "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                  "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

http://articles.aberdeennews.com/201...c-universities

Comment

Next up, tomorrow Sioux Falls (at the University Center) and on Thursday in Brookings (at the Days Inn). I am planning at being at both.

http://www.statealum.com/s/1108/inde...=61&calcid=949

The Regents have also added a date in Madison (December 1st at the public library)

http://www.sdbor.edu/documents/TownMeetingSchedule.pdf

Go State!

Comment

Working...
                      X