X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDSU-FIS Success Academy

http://www.moodycountyenterprise.com...&story_id=2929

Re: SDSU-FIS Success Academy

Good luck to these fine young people from the Flandreau Indian School. There were some natives on campus in the 1960's, but ten from one high school is really an accompolisment and was unheard of fifty years ago.

Comment

Very happy that they decided to attend college at SDSU and they're continuing their education. My only remark is that I bet they could get the same opportunities at a public HS as well. Good luck to them.
      Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
        Very happy that they decided to attend college at SDSU and they're continuing their education. My only remark is that I bet they could get the same opportunities at a public HS as well. Good luck to them.

Well since FIS is a boarding school, I'm pretty sure I would have to disagree. FIS has a different mission from traditional public HS.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
          Well since FIS is a boarding school, I'm pretty sure I would have to disagree. FIS has a different mission from traditional public HS.
          I literally did not know that. I thought it was a Native American HS. My apologies. Thanks for the info!
          Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
            I literally did not know that. I thought it was a Native American HS. My apologies. Thanks for the info!
            It is a Native American HS, but it is also a boarding school.
            Originally posted by JackFan96
            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
              It is a Native American HS, but it is also a boarding school.
              That's what I meant. Thanks.

Comment

The enrollment at FIS is down but at one time they had over 500 students. They were Class A when there was only two classes in competition in the SDHSAA and the top 32 schools were Class A.

As everywhere else things are changing on the reservations, with closer opportunities for education plus being away from family possibly weigh into their choice to not attend FIS which includes all the reservations in about seven states I believe. Also the boarding school concept was an abortive idea that came from White society that believed these schools would turn these young savages into the likeness of Warren Buffett. It has minimal sucess and this is a big opportunity for SDSU to sponor this program.

Comment

Working...
                X