X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicoine defends SDSU post for Herseth Sandlin

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...news|text|Home

Re: Chicoine defends SDSU post for Herseth Sandlin

As he should. The fact that everything is so partisan is annoying and a problem.
    Originally posted by JackFan96
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Boy, the "idiot squads" from both sides of the aisle are sure riled up on the Argus this morning!
      I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

In the end this GOP guy may have helped Stephie regain her seat. These party chairmen are better off being seen and not heard.

Although if I were one of those who received a pink slip, I would be asking questions about timing of this announcement.
        Last edited by Nidaros; 04-27-2011, 03:55 PM.

Comment

I took a class from Stephanie in 2003 and she was a phenomenal instructor. SDSU would be lucky to have her teach, so for people to be up in arms over a non-paying appointment at this juncture is silly.

Finally, when I was activated to go to Iraq during that semester in 2003, she was more than accommodating to my situation and worked with me to complete the necessary coursework to reach a point where I could receive a final grade. Plus, when I returned in 2005, which was after she was elected obviously, she kept in touch and took me out for pizza in Brookings to discuss numerous issues. Later, she contacted me for my personal opinion on veterans issues. SDSU students should be so lucky to have a professor that takes such interest in their futures.
          "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
          "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
            I would be asking questions about timing of this announcement.
            Why? She's not being paid, and at present isn't even occupying an office on campus.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
              Why? She's not being paid, and at present isn't even occupying an office on campus.
              I would be very disappointed to lose my contract at SDSU no matter what the circumstances were, it has to be painful, and as you said Herseth-Sandlin is not being paid, but appearances can be deceiving especially to those on the losing end of things. ie the 55 who are not coming back next year.

Comment

I would be very disappointed to lose my contract at SDSU no matter what the circumstances were, it has to be painful, and as you said Herseth-Sandlin is not being paid, but appearances can be deceiving especially to those on the losing end of things. ie the 55 who are not coming back next year.

I hate that people think that way though. She didn't take away anyone's job.

The same poeple that think that way are the same people that are holding back SDSU's athletic facilities because South Dakota has a budget crisis. They aren't related.
                Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                  I hate that people think that way though. She didn't take away anyone's job.

The same poeple that think that way are the same people that are holding back SDSU's athletic facilities because South Dakota has a budget crisis. They aren't related.
                  No she did not take any one's job and I never implied that she did.

To the second comment in bold:

HUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH? I fail to see the connection here. I do know the feeling of nearly losing a job several times. Its no fun. You youngins have not yet had this experience. If you had experienced losing a job or being fired you would not be making ridiculous analogies like that highlighted in bold. I am speaking in general terms, which has nothing to do with Former Congresswoman Herseth Sandlins appointment. I do respect this lady a great deal in fact I voted for her twice and would vote for her again. In fact I am glad that the President defended her adjuct position. Imagine though prior to this statement by President CHicoine what was going through the minds of those who are losing jobs at the conclusion of this fiscal year. I can imagine there might be some anger and resentment. Don't you think?
                  Is it justified? No.

The BOR has a completely different full plate of food to consider, such as long term maintence costs that go with the approval of facilities that are built with private donations and the possible perception of the legislature and the voters who elected them. The BOR does all the lobbying for higher ed and they come before the legislature with hat in hand and ask for financial support.
                  Last edited by Nidaros; 04-27-2011, 09:46 PM.

Comment

No she did not take any one's job and I never implied that she did.

To the second comment in bold:

HUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH? I fail to see the connection here. I do know the feeling of nearly losing a job several times. Its no fun. You youngins have not yet had this experience. If you had experienced losing a job or being fired you would not be making ridiculous analogies like that highlighted in bold. I am speaking in general terms, which has nothing to do with Former Congresswoman Herseth Sandlins appointment. I do respect this lady a great deal in fact I voted for her twice and would vote for her again. In fact I am glad that the President defended her adjuct position. Imagine though prior to this statement by President CHicoine what was going through the minds of those who are losing jobs at the conclusion of this fiscal year. I can imagine there might be some anger and resentment. Don't you think?
                    Is it justified? No.

The BOR has a completely different full plate of food to consider, such as long term maintence costs that go with the approval of facilities that are built with private donations and the possible perception of the legislature and the voters who elected them.

My comment stated "I hate that people think that way though". It was not directed at you, but more in general of the way everyone thinks. It just sucks that people think that way, but it's just how things work in this country. Everything is perception, like you stated above.

And again, the two topics are not directly related, but both have everything to do with public "perception" of how things are actually working. The person who called out the president of SDSU did so because he thought it was bad timing, or bad perception to the public that they hired SHS when they had people losing jobs. Is this not the same thing in regards to what the BOR is doing by waiting for approval because of the budget crisis? I feel as though building athletic facilities when the state of South Dakota is in a budget crisis is essentially the same concept. It's public perception. Read my post above again and I think you'll understand what I meant.
                    Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                      My comment stated "I hate that people think that way though". It was not directed at you, but more in general of the way everyone thinks. It just sucks that people think that way, but it's just how things work in this country. Everything is perception, like you stated above.

And again, the two topics are not directly related, but both have everything to do with public "perception" of how things are actually working. The person who called out the president of SDSU did so because he thought it was bad timing, or bad perception to the public that they hired SHS when they had people losing jobs. Is this not the same thing in regards to what the BOR is doing by waiting for approval because of the budget crisis? I feel as though building athletic facilities when the state of South Dakota is in a budget crisis is essentially the same concept. It's public perception. Read my post above again and I think you'll understand what I meant.
                      Yes its about perception and if you are sitting on the BOR you have to worry about what the legislature thinks and the people who elected these fine people. I say that rather sarcastically when one party has all but 5 seats in SD Senate and overwhelming majority in the house. If you are of the opposite party you have to respect that power. I think the Regent from Northern speaks the truth when he stated the reason for putting the plans on hold was it was necessary to evaluate the long term plans of the BOR. No matter what party is in control, the BOR has to work with them. Its about the maintence costs after the facility is built that is the issue as it requires the BOR to get that money from appropriatitions.

Comment

http://www.mitchellrepublic.com/even...roup/homepage/

Comment

Working...
                        X