Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: More bad news

Originally posted by hareball View Post
    South Dakota has a bank franchise tax - basically an income tax on banks. I believe all the credit card companies need to operate in SD under a bank charter. Recent credit card regulations at the federal level has resulted in a decrease in credit card company profits and thus less bank franchise tax.
    yes back when Janklow was governor the first time he got rid of the usury laws (no interest rate limit, only federal rate limit). But part of that was that banks had to pay a bank franchise tax. Recently the federal government lowered that % rate I believe from 45-39% but I could be wrong. Because of that South Dakota took a hit from that.

However I still question whether that has anything really to do with the cuts to higher ed.

The state hasn't valued education for the past 20-25 years (probably longer, but that was before me). The tax structure does need to be fixed IMHO, but not to dare into a political argument, but I hate where you have high property taxes but no income tax. When I was young we had 2 superintendents back to back, both lived in very cheap rentals, but had really nice houses in Nebraska on the river. And as a farmer, I'm against it and it doesn't bother me but why is farm land taxed A-Lot less for property taxes, also (farm houses are valued a lot less) our house in town that isn't worth a ton and is taxed as much as a quarter of land that is worth 5-10 times more then the house.

Comment

Wasn't there something about lotto money and gambling money to go for education blah blah blah.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
        Wasn't there something about lotto money and gambling money to go for education blah blah blah.
        yeah same with the cement plant trust fund. except if you read the fine print it says "all interest after 12 million" except over the past few years they haven't even made the initial 12 million, yet they took it out.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post

However I still question whether that has anything really to do with the cuts to higher ed.
          you don't think losing approximately 70-80 million in tax revenue the past two years has had any affect on the size and frequency of cuts to higher Ed?

I will agree with you on one thing, Higher Ed is going to be one of the first things to see cuts. It is a big cost to the state, and probably more of an acceptable option to trim from for most people (and maybe rightfully so) than the other big two of K-12 and medicare. I think the state of SD has shown exactly that the past few years, when the BOR system took approximately 65% of the total budget cut for SD prior to this year, and then took another 10% cut like every other state agency/group this year.

I'm not trying to say that these cuts are wrong either (although I'm not sure making up the whole critical deficit in one year was the best plan), I just wish the people of SD would be given a choice on whether they want to change the tax structure of our state in order to properly fund the state assisted programs that benefit us all.
          Last edited by jackrabbit1979; 04-23-2011, 12:04 AM.
          "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
            you don't think losing approximately 70-80 million in tax revenue the past two years has had any affect on the size and frequency of cuts to higher Ed?

I will agree with you on one thing, Higher Ed is going to be one of the first things to see cuts. It is a big cost to the state, and probably more of an acceptable option to trim from for most people (and maybe rightfully so) than the other big two of K-12 and medicare. I think the state of SD has shown exactly that the past few years, when the BOR system took approximately 65% of the total budget cut for SD prior to this year, and then took another 10% cut like every other state agency/group this year.

I'm not trying to say that these cuts are wrong either (although I'm not sure making up the whole critical deficit in one year was the best plan), I just wish the people of SD would be given a choice on whether they want to change the tax structure of our state in order to properly fund the state assisted programs that benefit us all.
            Rep pts given on this statement, one on which I totally agree. A combined Arlington-Lake Preston school district is starting to look attractive as I dread getting my Property Tax bill next year. With fewer students and plenty of buses, I think it might be the way to go.

Comment

Perhaps school consolidation should be considered for Higher Ed also?
              You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by MikeHenriksen View Post
                Well thought out and well written. However, civil discussion of issues is not going to make a comeback I am afraid. It has a lot to do with the lableing and anonymity that has become the norm rather than the exception.

We have many more ways to communicate than we used to, but we are worse at it than ever.
                Mike: I share your concerns but I continue to hope we can pull back from the edge and restore some semblance of civil discourse. We must. It starts witu all of us doing a little more thinking before we start spouting off. Angry opinions unsupported by even common sense, let alone a fact or two, are in vogue right now. The comments allowed for newspaper articles posted online should make all of us sick.

Filbert: good thoughts... Change is coming. Will we direct it or just stumble into it?

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                  To close the business research center seems to indicate, SD has no business future at all. Less government is such a good idea.
                  So all business in SD is dependent on the USD business research bureau?
                  Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by valleyrabbit View Post
                    So all business in SD is dependent on the USD business research bureau?
                    No, but it appears we are have stopped using tools because we no longer can afford them. If you were to consider starting a business in SD the USD business research center would be a good starting point for obtaining information. They kept some valuable statistics and other helpful information. I suppose it will be missed by some one, some where. I am surprised Abbott let his happen, after all he is a self made business guru. I would hope they would find a way to replace the services provided. No it will not stop Daktronics from making scoreboards, but... who knows this bureau might have held the information needed to make a decision about expanding their market in SD. Yeah I know DAK does business all over the world.

Additionally I see this cut to be similar to that at SDSU for the Extension Service and a connection between the School of Business and small business through out the state. Cutting out Extension Service was not so swift either in my book, which does not mean a whole lot.

I do not really know much about this service, but I suspect it was started with federal grants and once that money was used up it no doubt was underfunded and maybe not done much since. I like the concept of having a bureau that would be helpful in start up businesses.
                    Last edited by Nidaros; 04-24-2011, 10:46 AM.

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...news|text|Home

Comment

I think that's a case of Dr. Warner doing his best to preserve what we have in the face of further likely cuts. I don't think anyone actually believes that the quality of education has not suffered due to the last three years of cuts. Faculty ARE leaving already. Programs are gone. Class sizes are going to increase. How can anyone honestly say we have simply "trimmed the fat" when this was a significantly underfunded system BEFORE the cuts?

I don't blame him for making that statement. He wants South Dakotans to be confident that their children will get a good education at the Regental institutions. And they will. But will it be as good as it was four years ago? No.
                        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I don't know. I just am not impressed by what this guy tells the press.

"I haven't seen cuts deep enough to affect educational quality"

What?

Basically that says, "Those budget cuts were fine. We didn't need that money or those programs anyway."

A better response:

"We have had to eliminate positions and programs. These cuts have definitely impacted faculty and students in those programs."

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                            I don't know. I just am not impressed by what this guy tells the press.

"I haven't seen cuts deep enough to affect educational quality"

What?

Basically that says, "Those budget cuts were fine. We didn't need that money or those programs anyway."

A better response:

"We have had to eliminate positions and programs. These cuts have definitely impacted faculty and students in those programs."
                            I agree but I think they are in a tough spot, they don't want to come out and say "hey, education here now su<ks"

However when you are so dependent upon the Legislature for funding do you want to throw them under the bus? (personally I would have)

I had a professor talk about it today, and he said the cuts for now can probably be handled but with 3 years of no salary increase and 2 years of significant cuts, the trickle effect is going to start to build. Are professors going to apply for research if they don't know if they will have a job in a year or two? Are professors going to leave for better payment? Are larger classes, more classes and broader topics affect professors? My psychology teacher said with the proposed changes they wanted him to be head faculty for special education teachers, and he said he would have quit if they would have made him do that.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                              I agree but I think they are in a tough spot, they don't want to come out and say "hey, education here now su<ks"
                              Did I say that? The choice of words is crucial---you say, 'this impacted students in those programs that were cut.'

It's an undeniable statement, it answers the question, and it does not in any way shape or form justify the legislature's action.

Saying, "Well, they cut 10% of our funds, but we're still doing fine," is the same as saying, "We didn't need that money and the legislature was right to take it away from us because we weren't spending it properly."

If someone takes your money, you make it clear that you needed it. You don't say, 'well, we didn't really need it anyway, but we need all the money we've got now.'

Warner has no credibility if all he does is say, 'well, we didn't need THAT money, but we need every dime we're getting now' because if there's another cut, he'll say the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                                Did I say that? The choice of words is crucial---you say, 'this impacted students in those programs that were cut.'

It's an undeniable statement, it answers the question, and it does not in any way shape or form justify the legislature's action.

Saying, "Well, they cut 10% of our funds, but we're still doing fine," is the same as saying, "We didn't need that money and the legislature was right to take it away from us because we weren't spending it properly."

If someone takes your money, you make it clear that you needed it. You don't say, 'well, we didn't really need it anyway, but we need all the money we've got now.'

Warner has no credibility if all he does is say, 'well, we didn't need THAT money, but we need every dime we're getting now' because if there's another cut, he'll say the same thing.
                                I know, but with how everything is approached you could see them twisting the words around.

I agree I think that the BOR's really screwed this up saying "hey we can handle it"

I just know one thing and that is I'd hate to be on the BOR's right now.

Comment

Working...
                                X