Jackrabbit Stampede

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackrabbit Stampede

I have not seen any final results, but our Jackrabbit cowboys and cowgirls had a good weekend. My significant other's grandson was a contestant representing Dickensen State University. Rodeo being a club sport and not covered by NCAA regulations does award money to the successful pariticipants. The grandson did quite well Thursday night in the bull riding but kind of bombed the rest of the way. All the Jack guys are growing mullets and he wanted to know if I knew the story on that one. Unfortunately I did not. Entry fees were 400 bucks plus he had to board 3 horses for 130 bucks. So to save him a few bucks I bought him breakfast on Saturday. The NCAA would have come down on me for that since I give more than 100 bucks to the Jackrabbit Club and am a representative by being a booster.

My hat goes off to my high school hero Jim Sutton and family for being able to furnish the rodeo stock. They save no doubt money by bringing them to Brookings from Onida. If not the Suttons, there would be extra costs for bringing rodeo stock from Wyo, Montana or Western ND. Jim has been a huge supporter of the SDSU rodeo and has help start the Steers for State program with Jim Woster and others at the SDSU Foundation. This progam is getting bigger as I counted 46 donors listed in the program and if each bought at least one steer, I guessing that at least 120k is raised each year to finance the rodeo club and offer scholarships to the guys with a mullet.

The reason Jim Sutton was a hero in to me in high school was he was playing basketball for SDSU and his career at the FT Line was a shy under 90%. He was quick and had a good set shot and often went to the FT line to deliver money in the bank. To think he is now 70 plus in age is indeed shocking.

I think Jim deserves a Distingish Alumni Award for all that he has done for SDSU.

Andrew Coughlin who is from DeSmet appears to be the top cowboy or at least in bull riding. He scored an 80 Friday night. I got to thinking he is just north of Carthage, the home of Charles Coughlin. Could he be a related to the Charles.
    Any one know?
    Last edited by Nidaros; 04-11-2011, 01:44 PM.

Re: Jackrabbit Stampede

Here is The Brookings Register coverage of the Rodeo;

http://www.brookingsregister.com/v2_...=10870&page=77

Comment

Working...
    X