Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SDSU - Northwest Quadrant

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
    Affordable housing is an issue in Brookings and has been for ages. Over the years many businesses have wanted to expand (Larsons and Daktronics in particular) but it has been hard for them to attract families to town because of the lack of affordable housing.

Many families will buy a home in Brookings and have their child and a few friends live in it to make it cash flow. Of course there a hindreds of houses that are used as rentals that are occupied by students. That takes a lot of those houses off the market. If a development such as this would entice students to stay on campus it could be a good thing.

The developers have reasons to be concerned but I'm not sure how concerned the city ought to be. They are probably worried more about their own back pocket. Competition is usually a good thing.

Mr. Bielfeldt has done a great job with the Innovation Village and hope he does get the chance to expand. Its also good for the town.

My $.02

SUPERBUNNY
    I agree, competition is usually a good thing. When its a level playing field. Government agency vs. private business is not a fair fight.
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
      This looks like an exciting project for the University and hope the "power brokers" in Brookings don't get this derailed as it appears to have more creativity then anything they have or could bring to the table.
      I think the developers have done a pretty good job in Brookings. It is a totally different town than what it was even 10 years ago.

The "power brokers" in Brookings have pushed and gotten a rebuilt main street, children's museum, brought in hotels and restaurants, and have built multiple new housing developments in the last 10 years. But they lack creativity. Right.
      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Not to mention that none of this would even be possible without taking away several hundred acres northwest of Volga away from private farming operations.

Comment

Some good points, but some sour grapes too. Sounds like some dont want to lose the ability to profit off the college kids.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Most of this is very forward thinking and I would say progressive for SD.
            Kinda like aiming for mars and hitting the moon... and there is nothing wrong with that.
            The kind of cash it would take to complete this would be somewhere in the 100 million plus range (dare i say double that) I would guess..
            So the "developers" of Brookings need to un-bunch their panties... and settle down!
            This is a 30 to 50 year plan, and you'll all be dead before it's a problem. or a perceived problem that is.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
              I think the developers have done a pretty good job in Brookings. It is a totally different town than what it was even 10 years ago.

The "power brokers" in Brookings have pushed and gotten a rebuilt main street, children's museum, brought in hotels and restaurants, and have built multiple new housing developments in the last 10 years. But they lack creativity. Right.
              Sounds like a bunch of wining from a group of people who feel entitled to service the University's needs.

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                Affordable housing is an issue in Brookings and has been for ages. Over the years many businesses have wanted to expand (Larsons and Daktronics in particular) but it has been hard for them to attract families to town because of the lack of affordable housing.

Many families will buy a home in Brookings and have their child and a few friends live in it to make it cash flow. Of course there a hindreds of houses that are used as rentals that are occupied by students. That takes a lot of those houses off the market. If a development such as this would entice students to stay on campus it could be a good thing.

The developers have reasons to be concerned but I'm not sure how concerned the city ought to be. They are probably worried more about their own back pocket. Competition is usually a good thing.

Mr. Bielfeldt has done a great job with the Innovation Village and hope he does get the chance to expand. Its also good for the town.

My $.02

SUPERBUNNY
                If you notice I live in Arlington, and the reason I do is that nothing was avaiable in the summer of 2005 when I was house hunting in Brookings. Students, who have parents with deep pockets have bought up all the homes of a reasonable price which was what I was in the market for. Houses listed on Tuesday have offers by Thursday, and you only bid up the price with a counter offer. I did not choose to counter on those I had interest in and got my new home in Arlington for a reasonable price.

I been gone for a few weeks and turned on the TV and was watching Local City council meeting on Channel 9 that included all the developers. They made some very good points and I think Dennis Bielfeldt has the most to loose by this project. Mr Theology sounded as though he was on the ropes on this one and felt he had a real disadvantage in expanding Innovation Village.

What is wierd about this is the Mayor of Brookings works for the SDSU Foundation during the day time. For him to make a strong statement against this project would not help him get a raise, thats for certain. The town and gown lines are blirred sometimes.

Thank Rabid for your input on Six Mile Creek and surrounding area, known as the College Creek in my heyday. I did look at the plans linked by Lake Jack and I am impressed, but a visitor center seems counter productive, the housing and relocation of the Ag Museum are needed commodities.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                  Sounds like a bunch of wining from a group of people who feel entitled to service the University's needs.
                  I don't mean to be a jerk, but to totally disregard the achievements of the town's developers seems to show some bias on your part.

IMO, the best case scenario for a progressive (whatever that means) and improved Brookings area is strong private development and strong university investment. When one of those two parties is concerned about something, I think we should listen and not fire off class warfare verbiage like "whiners"and "power brokers."

BTW, many of these developers are also big financial supporters of SDSU athletics and academics. I guarantee if Van Fishback came out strongly against this it would give SDSU great pause. He probably wouldn't do that, but it goes to show how vital it is to have a good relationship between private and public endeavors.

It is also probably worth asking if a massive development like this could devalue property values (both investment properties and owner occupied). That could effect hundreds, if not thousands, of Brookings residents.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                    I don't mean to be a jerk, but to totally disregard the achievements of the town's developers seems to show some bias on your part.

IMO, the best case scenario for a progressive (whatever that means) and improved Brookings area is strong private development and strong university investment. When one of those two parties is concerned about something, I think we should listen and not fire off class warfare verbiage like "whiners"and "power brokers."

BTW, many of these developers are also big financial supporters of SDSU athletics and academics. I guarantee if Van Fishback came out strongly against this it would give SDSU great pause. He probably wouldn't do that, but it goes to show how vital it is to have a good relationship between private and public endeavors.

It is also probably worth asking if a massive development like this could devalue property values (both investment properties and owner occupied). That could effect hundreds, if not thousands, of Brookings residents.
                    This does certainly seem to be a huge-hanging-curve-ball missed opportunity for both university and the local developers to work together for mutual benefit.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Plans like the one for the Northwest Quadrant are really just intended to spark the imaginations of donors and guide (but not dictate) potential future development. None of that plan is written in stone. Does anyone think the university wouldn't be interested in talking to developers about the Northwest Quadrant?
                      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

[QUOTE=SF_Rabbit_Fan;176267] I guarantee if Van Fishback came out strongly against this it would give SDSU great pause. He probably wouldn't do that, but it goes to show how vital it is to have a good relationship between private and public endeavors.
                        QUOTE]

Perhaps Van knows something regarding the big picture here. Brookings is growing, quickly, because of a synergy between SDSU and the business sector. This is good. It has also driven demand for housing of all kinds. I believe any development, private or private/public, will be welcomed by the larger Brookings community, and will be like the proposed events center in SF, not large enough.
                        You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Looks nice!
                          With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

BTW - if this does get built, and there is some senior (age 55+) housing units available, I could see this being a GREAT SDSU foundation enticement for those ex Professors, Alumni that want to give back to SDSU but need housing in the interim.

My parents enjoyed getting out of their home of 40 years, and into a one level condo with security (and a former SDSU president as a neighbor) in Brookings. Having something on the edge of the SDSU campus is truly visionary.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                              BTW - if this does get built, and there is some senior (age 55+) housing units available, I could see this being a GREAT SDSU foundation enticement for those ex Professors, Alumni that want to give back to SDSU but need housing in the interim.

My parents enjoyed getting out of their home of 40 years, and into a one level condo with security (and a former SDSU president as a neighbor) in Brookings. Having something on the edge of the SDSU campus is truly visionary.
                              It is visionary, except in the Northwest Quandrant. I can vision biking trails and what not in this area, but to build especially in the extreme northwest quandrant does not make sense. I am sure the Foundation is interested in any of the properties on nineth ave and west between 8th st and Harvey Dunn, picking off each slum lord one by one will be expensive. To me this seems to be more suitable for building for retired alums and faculty. Just my opinion and putting the real estate together and dealing with the zoning might make it prohibitive.

Comment

Here is another example of public/private partnership.

http://www.boston.com/news/education..._vt_dormitory/

Work under way on new U of. Vt. dormitory

BURLINGTON, Vt.—Site work is under way in Burlington on what will become a new privately owned residence hall for University of Vermont students that will be able to accommodate 403 people.

The $20 million, apartment-style complex known as Redstone Lofts will be privately financed, owned and managed as part of a long-term lease agreement with UVM.

The project will roughly triple on-campus accommodations for upperclassmen. UVM has about 10,125 undergraduate students. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

Working...
                                X