Poll -- Vote -- SDSU Hockey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll -- Vote -- SDSU Hockey?

Some of you may think this is a dumb idea, but I would love to see us add hockey as a school funded sport. This is a sport that would probrably draw as well if not better than basketball IMO. The way it draws now as just a club sport is very impressive. Also, hockey is one of the more exciting sports to watch if you get into it. Some of you may just look down your nose at it and dismiss it as boring and whatnot, but hockey is a sport that I think we could excell at given our proximity to MN, WI, and Canada. Also hockey is a sport that would further help to get the SDSU more national recognition. It would do much more to do this than say swimming and diving or soccer (not trying to bash those sports). I mean how much national attention does the national tourny get for womens soccer? I would argue that the Frozen Four is just as big as the womens NCAA tourny. Its at least on the same level. What does everyone think about this? I'm sure it will never happen, but I would be exeptionally happy if it did. Mabey its being a northern WI boy that makes me hope for this
    Heck Yes!
    0.00%
    Yes!
    7.84%
    Fence sitting
    9.80%
    No!
    15.69%
    Heck No!
    66.67%

The poll is expired.

Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Re: Hockey?

It cost way to much. We have to focus our money for the up coming projects. Where would we play? There are probably a hundred reasons why it won't happen.

Comment

thumper 76: Want to set up a poll on this question?

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
        Some of you may think this is a dumb idea, but I would love to see us add hockey as a school funded sport. This is a sport that would probrably draw as well if not better than basketball IMO. The way it draws now as just a club sport is very impressive. Also, hockey is one of the more exciting sports to watch if you get into it. ...
        I'm not a big hockey fan myself but I do find the State Hockey Club games quite entertaining and try to get to a couple a year. Always a lot of good banter and some rough housing. In my opinion hockey seems like one of those sports you have to see in person to fully appreciate. There is a lot of action but I think it's difficult to capture in broadcasts because the action is spread throughout the rink. Anyway here is the clubs' schedule if interested.

Comment

I do not see hockey in SDSU future. I do think it would have a nice following as Brookings is a good "hockey town". Plus, it would draw people in from W/SW Minnesota as fans I would think. I know the Larson Ice Center was designed for it if were ever to happen. I only think there are only three things standing in its way; funding, gender equity laws and practice facility. If Brookings ever invested in a third sheet of indoor ice then I would have to think serious discussions could be had.

But that can be said for all potential sports I suppose.

I personally believe we need to get all our current sports properly funded, staffed and facilities in place first. To me, the best thing about the Division I move is that SDSU did it with the intent of KEEPING all its sports. I hope we keep that INTENT. Would definitely not support cutting on support just to add another sport.
          We...ARE...STATE!
          SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

DI Hockey won't come to SDSU without the major backing (and I mean major) of a private donor due to the cost of operation. I won't lie, I have never been to a club hockey game at SDSU, but I doubt the following is anywhere close to the point in which it would be a revenue sport, and I doubt even doubling or tripling the fanfare would turn it into a revenue sport either.

Another concern would be the Title IX implications of adding a hockey team, as if SDSU added men's hockey, they would have to add women's hockey as well to counter balance the increase in men's scholarships. Now the case would be that if hockey was going to truly be a revenue sport, the men's hockey team would have to not only make enough money to cover their operating costs, but would also have to cover the cost of having women's hockey as well (and women's hockey does not draw hardly any fans at all).

So in conclusion, DI Hockey will come to Brookings if an incredibly rich hockey fan wants to donate a crap ton of money for the cause!
            If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
            - Steven Wright

Comment

Their are existing sports such as football that are two people short on Assistant coaches. Lets fund these things that are already underfunded, and then maybe we can think about hockey.

Also its a great sport for UND, but they got their sport started right after WWII when the sport was more affordable. When you figure scholarships, title IX, facility and other things, you need a bunch of bucks that we dont have. Its more than buying a ticket and showing up.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                Its more than buying a ticket and showing up.
                I understand that we don't have money right now to start up a new sports program. But I personally think that it would be a good addition to the SDSU sports programs. Besides I do think that it would darn near pay for itsself rather quickly from the ticket sales.
                Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Besides I do think that it would darn near pay for itsself rather quickly from the ticket sales.
                  No way.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

I love hockey as a live sport but it is a dead issue as a school funded sport at SDSU. It costs more than football. Title IX makes you have a women's equivalent (costs X 2). We need an arena that would 6,000 plus for hockey. We'd need the 6,000 butts in the seats. It would pull fans away from other sports.

There are so many needs for $$$$$$$$ right now that have to take precedence. After those are met, I would doubt it would have chance to make it.

Its not a dumb idea. Far from it! But it isn't feasible.

SUPERBUNNY
                    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I do think that it would darn near pay for itsself rather quickly from the ticket sales.
                      I don't think so.

Larsen isn't big enough to pay for a D-1 hockey program.

Comment

What is that sucking sound? That is hockey draining athletic budgets across the nation.

This comes up over on Bisonville a lot, I always say hockey and basketball going up against each other just doesn't work at the mid-major level.

Comment

It seems this topic comes up at least once a year.

Hockey, I always say hockey is really only a vocal minority on the national scene. Of the major pro-sports, Hockey might barely edge soccer in television ratings. Except for a few core areas of the U.S. nobody really cares about it. While Brookings and eastern SD have a respectable following of hockey at the high school level. We are not even close to being on a level of northern MN/Twin Cities, or Canada. In general terms, it's just not our thing around here.

Comment

SDSU has c. 12,000 students & c. 500 varsity student athletes.

Roughly one out of every twenty students participates in varsity athletics.

That's a danged high ratio. You have to look long and far to find a mid-major that sponsors as many varsity sports as SDSU. TCU sponsors 18 sports to SDSU's 19, Utah sponsors 17 to SDSU's 19.

UND, for instance, does not have a wrestling program or a men's tennis program, nor do they have varsity equestrian.

Comment

We actually sponsor 21 varsity sports here.

Comment

Working...
                              X