SDSU: 'Part of something special'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDSU: 'Part of something special'

Article from the Rapid City Journal talking about Justin Sell and taking over at SDSU.

New athletic director likes direction SDSU is heading
    http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/arti...b059447544.txt

Another article talking about renewal of rivalry with USD.
    http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/arti...9628880376.txt

3rd article talking about SDSU and West River South Dakota
    http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/arti...f148716505.txt

Re: SDSU: 'Part of something special'

Really enjoyed the article. I took special notice of the section where AD Sell talked about a multipurpose fieldhouse and upgrading CA Stadium.

Comment

I talked with some Black Hills Alumni today and they were pretty pumped up about the RC Journals coverage. I told them to make sure they thank the paper for covering the Jackrabbits.

Go State!

Comment

Yes nice to see some good coverage from the Journal about the Jackrabbits. I have to admit though that I'm trying to figure out how I feel about games being played in Rapid City. If its more like 1 event total per year I would be for it and they can kind of rotate the sport: baseball, women's basketball, men's basketball, wrestling, volleyball, etc.

I could never see for instance the Jacks playing a basketball game out there every year. That would essentially be giving up a home game in my mind and would be too much.

If it can be worked out that the sporting event rotates I think this would be a great bone to throw to the Jackrabbit fans out west.
        The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Did not the West River Golf Outing this past weekend help get these articles going by the RCJ? They did a great job btw and there right up there with TV writings. That said, I really have no problem with West River events. We has some very dedicated alums out there and some travel often to Brookings, so we do own them something.

We we dont have at SDSU yet is a real true state wide following. We dont have people from Alliance and Scottsbluff, Nebraska that jump in the car before the car dawn and drive like crazy to Lincoln to watch the Huskers on Saturday afternoon. Thats a story in itself, but the point is the west river events need to happen to prime the pump.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
            Did not the West River Golf Outing this past weekend help get these articles going by the RCJ? They did a great job btw and there right up there with TV writings. That said, I really have no problem with West River events. We has some very dedicated alums out there and some travel often to Brookings, so we do own them something.

We we dont have at SDSU yet is a real true state wide following. We dont have people from Alliance and Scottsbluff, Nebraska that jump in the car before the car dawn and drive like crazy to Lincoln to watch the Huskers on Saturday afternoon. Thats a story in itself, but the point is the west river events need to happen to prime the pump.
            Agreed. I was just trying to say that it would be too much for example to play a men's basketball game out there every season.
            The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Originally posted by JackrabbitGuy View Post
              Agreed. I was just trying to say that it would be too much for example to play a men's basketball game out there every season.
              I'm in favor of increasing the outreach to West River as a part of SDSU being the State's University. It's part of what a Land-Grant is supposed to be--the university of all of the people of the state.

Here's an out-there idea: Rapid City puts on a D-I Multi-Team Event (tournament counting as a single game for D-I schools). Since any single team can only play in the tournament once every four years, you alternate between USD and SDSU being the hosts, and hold men's and women's tournaments in alternate years. (Or you hold both a men's and women's tournament each year, and alternate USD/SDSU MBB/WBB so that one of them is there every year).

Just a wild thought.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

The West River Jacks have been a club that has been putting on a golf event and dinner/auction event that benefits SDSU out in the Hills for 28 years. Dixie Serr, Doug Peterson and many others have worked their tails off for a long time to make these events a success

A little over a year and a half ago the idea of creating an alumni chapter so that more people would be involved and more events could be held was born. The idea was to take what the club had been doing and add more events to it and also make sure that the golf event and auction/dinner kept going for years and years to come.

This year (May 26, 2009) the West River Jacks became the 2nd Chapter of the SDSU Alumni Association with a bigger leadership group (17 members on the Board of Directors) including Dan Dryden, Gary Jensen, Bruce Nearhood and Dixie as the officers. They have already held 7 alumni events in the Black Hills this year. They are doing a great job and they are just getting started. There will be a story about the new chapter in the next issue of STATE Magazine.

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit View Post
                  The West River Jacks have been a club that has been putting on a golf event and dinner/auction event that benefits SDSU out in the Hills for 28 years. Dixie Serr, Doug Peterson and many others have worked their tails off for a long time to make these events a success

A little over a year and a half ago the idea of creating an alumni chapter so that more people would be involved and more events could be held was born. The idea was to take what the club had been doing and add more events to it and also make sure that the golf event and auction/dinner kept going for years and years to come.

This year (May 26, 2009) the West River Jacks became the 2nd Chapter of the SDSU Alumni Association with a bigger leadership group (17 members on the Board of Directors) including Dan Dryden, Gary Jensen, Bruce Nearhood and Dixie as the officers. They have already held 7 alumni events in the Black Hills this year. They are doing a great job and they are just getting started. There will be a story about the new chapter in the next issue of STATE Magazine.

Go State!
                  Great news!

Comment

P.S.

Just as an FYI there are groups of alumni in Brookings, Huron, and Yankton that are also working to form chapters. And good folks in Denver, Kansas City, Minneapolis, and Phoenix that are working to organize clubs. It is an exciting time to be a Jackrabbit!

Go State!

Comment

Justin Sell and a couple of staff people were at the SD High School Coaches Honor Luncheon Wednesday in Aberdeen. Not a huge event but the people that were in attendance took notice!

Comment

Working...
                      X