Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: AD Search Narrowed to 3

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
    I understand the desire to go outside of the university for candidates, but I still think there are some people at SDSU that have the skillset and capabilities of these three.
    My general opinion is that SDSU has suffered for decades from too much inbreeding of the management and administrators.

I don't have a problem with promoting superior people from within but IMHO you really need to do both--something SDSU hasn't been able to do as much in the past as I think is healthy for the institution. I think there's a significant benefit from having a different background, seeing the same problem in different ways than they look from Brookings, SD--that sort of thing, that you simply don't get if you limit your search to internal promotions.

How many of the assistant directors of athletics have athletic department experience outside SDSU? (Honest question, I don't know.) Of those, how many have experience equivalent to the final 3 candidates? I assume that the selection committee was asking exactly these questions. If not, we have a problem.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Your probably right on all counts and just maybe those internal candidates did not feel they were ready or able for the task. Many of us have learned that sometimes that you have to move out to move up and then maybe you can return for that promotion.

Comment

Here's my two cents. The entire university has changed signficantly because of private dollars. From buildings to scholarships an enormous amount of money has been raised. Long term relationships built the foundation for raising money.

I'm not denying that outside AD candidates wouldn't bring a wealth of new ideas. But it's the relationships that produce money. You can do a lot with money. The new AD will start from scratch on that deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
          Here's my two cents. The entire university has changed signficantly because of private dollars. From buildings to scholarships an enormous amount of money has been raised. Long term relationships built the foundation for raising money.

I'm not denying that outside AD candidates wouldn't bring a wealth of new ideas. But it's the relationships that produce money. You can do a lot with money. The new AD will start from scratch on that deal.
          Amen......I want to say a lot more but I know I shouldn't so I'll just hope for the best with this decision.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
            I did think Dustin had the best press conference, but I think Sell might be more in tune to the culture of SDSU and the kind of university it is.
            I probably shouldn't make this post, but I was rather disappointed that Dustin made the final three. The resume he brought was thin...missing nine years of his career which I had to ask him about (he was a high school teacher). And if you read Terry's story in the Argus, you would also know that he was an applicant for the Southern Utah AD position (in his own state, and at a Summit League member), as well as the Idaho State AD spot earlier. There was also a search for a new AD at Utah State, and I am told by reasonably reliable sources that he was not one of the finalists. Deduce what you want about all that, I know what my feelings are about it.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
              How many of the assistant directors of athletics have athletic department experience outside SDSU? (Honest question, I don't know.) Of those, how many have experience equivalent to the final 3 candidates? I assume that the selection committee was asking exactly these questions. If not, we have a problem.
              Associate AD Rob Peterson's experience includes time in a similar position at Fresno State. I'm honestly not sure if Rob would have been interested in the top job here or not. We have three good candidates (one very good one, in my opinion) and I do think it's good to bring in people from the outside. It just means we're looking at things in different ways for a change.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                Associate AD Rob Peterson's experience includes time in a similar position at Fresno State. I'm honestly not sure if Rob would have been interested in the top job here or not. We have three good candidates (one very good one, in my opinion) and I do think it's good to bring in people from the outside. It just means we're looking at things in different ways for a change.
                Rob's got great credentials and would have made a great AD for SDSU. Contrary to what some have said (not on this board mind you), Rob will make a great AD and the university that hires him will be lucky to have him. While Fred was the face of the DI transition, Rob was a major part of the behind the scenes activities necessary for the move. He knows his place and has never asked for any recognition even though he should have been and still be publicly praised for his efforts. He's not "one of us" (from SD or with any ties to SDSU), but that's also what makes him very, very good at what he does.

I haven't looked into any of the three finalists. I do know (and fear) that whoever is hired will make the staff his own, and with that a fantastic administrator like Rob may be on his way out.

Here's to hoping that President Chicoine makes the correct decision for SDSU. This is a legacy maker of sorts for him. Wrong hire here and people will never forget it. Right hire and he's a genius.
                I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
                  Rob's got great credentials and would have made a great AD for SDSU. Contrary to what some have said (not on this board mind you), Rob will make a great AD and the university that hires him will be lucky to have him. While Fred was the face of the DI transition, Rob was a major part of the behind the scenes activities necessary for the move. He knows his place and has never asked for any recognition even though he should have been and still be publicly praised for his efforts. He's not "one of us" (from SD or with any ties to SDSU), but that's also what makes him very, very good at what he does.

I haven't looked into any of the three finalists. I do know (and fear) that whoever is hired will make the staff his own, and with that a fantastic administrator like Rob may be on his way out.

Here's to hoping that President Chicoine makes the correct decision for SDSU. This is a legacy maker of sorts for him. Wrong hire here and people will never forget it. Right hire and he's a genius.
                  The development of the innovation campus/research park will hopefully be Chicoine's legacy.
                  LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                    The development of the innovation campus/research park will hopefully be Chicoine's legacy.
                    Is that building being constructed (might be finished now) just south of Hwy 14 and east of 22nd the start of the research park?
                    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                    - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                      Is that building being constructed (might be finished now) just south of Hwy 14 and east of 22nd the start of the research park?
                      Yes, the Innovation Center was completed last fall and building #2 (The Seed Technology Building) just had it groundbreaking last week. Buildings #3 and #4 are forthcoming.

http://www.brookingsregister.com/V2_...&story_id=4951

As for as Chicoine's legacy, much of it hinges, IMO, on how he implements the continued development of the Innovation Campus and SDSU's D-1 journey. President Miller started the journey and Chicoine is on the way of taking these initiatives to the next level. Selecting the new AD is one piece of that puzzle . . .

Comment

From the SF paper:

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...45/1002/sports

Comment

As far as I'm concerned, presidents and heads of organizations get too much credit when things go great and too much blame when things go bad. Sure, vision is a separation point. The best quality of a leader is picking the right people to do the actual work. SDSU is no different. There are a lot of great people behind the scenes working their tails off. The real work gets done away from the microphones and television cameras.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
                            As far as I'm concerned, presidents and heads of organizations get too much credit when things go great and too much blame when things go bad. Sure, vision is a separation point. The best quality of a leader is picking the right people to do the actual work. SDSU is no different. There are a lot of great people behind the scenes working their tails off. The real work gets done away from the microphones and television cameras.
                            Amen, Amen, and Amen!

Hiring qualuity people may be the most important thing that an administrator is responsible for. We have been very fortunate to have had people in the administration that have laid out a great vision for SDSU and hired the right people to carry that plan out.

The dedication and passion of the people inside the Athletic Department has always been very impressive to me. I am very thankful for all they do!

I am kind of suprised that we haven't learned who our next AD is going to be. It would be nice to make the announcement while school is still in session.

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                              Amen, Amen, and Amen!

Hiring qualuity people may be the most important thing that an administrator is responsible for. We have been very fortunate to have had people in the administration that have laid out a great vision for SDSU and hired the right people to carry that plan out.

The dedication and passion of the people inside the Athletic Department has always been very impressive to me. I am very thankful for all they do!

I am kind of suprised that we haven't learned who our next AD is going to be. It would be nice to make the announcement while school is still in session.

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY

I was told that the announcement will be made either today or tomorrow.

Comment

Dang, looks like it's tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                                X