Bruce D. Johnson, 2/22/1943-2/21/2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bruce D. Johnson, 2/22/1943-2/21/2009

Some of the older members here know Bruce Johnson, eldest son of Dr. Elmer Johnson, Chemistry Prof 1947-1977. Sadly, he died suddenly of a blood clot in lung late last night.

Yes, this hits VERY close to my rabid heart as this is my oldest brother, and is the first of my generation to pass on.

Bruce had an excellent, exciting, well travelled life as a successful urban socialogist and international expert on drug culture studies.

While he followed in his dad's footsteps, to receive degree at U Wis, he contributed heavily to SDSU, through the Elmer R and Roberta D. Johnson Chemistry scholarship, and led the funding drive for the Martin/Synvie Johnson Trellis at McCrory Gardens.

While he lived his adult life in NYC, with his bride Terry, for 40 years, he loved to follow, and share in SDSU successes, and to return to Brookings, his HS alma mater. His final resting spot will be the Erwin cemetary, joining his parents and grandparents in the open prairie rather than the concrete canyons of Manhattan.

Re: Bruce D. Johnson, 2/22/1943-2/21/2009

Wow. Too soon. Too young. (As if anyone is too old to those who love them.)

My sincere condolences.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

My sincere concondolences to Rabid and his family. Your brother Bruce was two years behind me in High School. I can't say I knew him well, but recall him being a very serious student in high school. Judging by the information that you provided, he had a very successful career, and indeed a shorten life.

Comment

Condolences to your family.

Comment

God bless you and your family in this loss...

Comment

Dr. Elmer Johnson was my chemistry professor at SDSC in 1953 and I always thought very highly of him. When I came back to SDSU in 1971 as alumni director, I would see him around campus and we would always banter a bit. He always had a twinkle in his eye. Although I did not know Bruce or RR, I am sorry to hear the news and express my condolences to your family.

Comment

Thoughts and prayers are with you and yours rabid.
                "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                -Leo Rosten

Comment

Our prayers are with you and your family.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                    Dr. Elmer Johnson was my chemistry professor at SDSC in 1953 and I always thought very highly of him. When I came back to SDSU in 1971 as alumni director, I would see him around campus and we would always banter a bit. He always had a twinkle in his eye. Although I did not know Bruce or RR, I am sorry to hear the news and express my condolences to your family.
                    Thanks all for the thoughts and prayers. Bruce was almost a spittin' image of dad. Many of our family will remember the twinkle in those blue eyes we all remembered with both Bruce and Dr. Johnson.

We were blessed to grow up in Brookings, and were all very active with SDSU. Bruce and Martin spent three years post WWII in the barracks (young married housing at that time), and a classic family tale was the time Bruce encouraged his 4 yr brother ton take the Radio wagon down the ROTC Armory ramp. Instead he went over the edge, crashing down backward to the basement ramp. Fortunately nothing got broke, but his pride and ego matched the scrapes and bruises acquired.

For the post 60's grads the quansit (barracks) huts were where the Student Union and HPER were built. I BARELY remember them myself.

Comment

Working...
                    X