Attendance in Frost Arena

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attendance in Frost Arena

It was interesting to note last night's announced attendance. I think it gives a good idea of what the capacity is for Frost Arena now. There weren't a whole lot of bleacher seats remaining. Given what was announced, a sell-out would seem to be a little over 6,000 people.

Re: Attendance in Frost Arena

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
    It was interesting to note last night's announced attendance. I think it gives a good idea of what the capacity is for Frost Arena now. There weren't a whole lot of bleacher seats remaining. Given what was announced, a sell-out would seem to be a little over 6,000 people.
    Fortunately, since we made the move to DI and bring in all of these teams with obscure names from too far away we'll never draw 6,000 fans so we won't have to worry about that.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

We came a little early last night to run into the bookstore and grab a few items. I could not believe the Union lot was packed an hour (4:00 pm) before the game. We did manage to slide into a small spot since we don't have a big vehicle. Got inside and was watching the women play and not paying much attention to the east end where they were serving the meal. My wife told me to look in the second half and there were people at least 10 deep standing along the rail waiting for the bleachers to be pulled out. What a great site it was last night to see the Frost almost filled to capacity.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack4Life View Post
        We came a little early last night to run into the bookstore and grab a few items. I could not believe the Union lot was packed an hour (4:00 pm) before the game. We did manage to slide into a small spot since we don't have a big vehicle. Got inside and was watching the women play and not paying much attention to the east end where they were serving the meal. My wife told me to look in the second half and there were people at least 10 deep standing along the rail waiting for the bleachers to be pulled out. What a great site it was last night to see the Frost almost filled to capacity.
        I think the big crowd just highlights some of the improvements that still need to be made to Frost--better upper level seating (raise the seats all the way around for better sight lines up top, more bathrooms, more concessions, etc.) along with some of the other improvements to make it even more of a D-I venue (mid-court TV stand up high on the reserved seat side, better lighting, etc.)

Still, it was a crowd that was at times as loud and into-it as any in a long time. Frost Arena is a pretty good little basketball arena and SDSU fans, if you give them any kind of reason at all to cheer, are pretty good at rising to the occasion.

If you haven't been to an SDSU game in a while, or if you've got friends who haven't, you might want to drag them to the Western Illinois/UMKC games in a couple of weeks. It probably won't be quite the atmosphere of the NDSU or Oakland games, but it will be a good time. And the ice cream is as good as it ever was.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

With the changes upcoming in Frost, capacity will only go down probably to 5,500 (total guess) or so. The whole idea is to make each seat precious to boost season ticket numbers. For example, adding reserved seating above the students will significantly reduce the number of people who can fit up there. You can just plain get more people onto bleachers than you can into seats. That's not a bad thing. I'll trade a few 6,000 games for 4,500 season ticket sales plus student admissions.
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
            Fortunately, since we made the move to DI and bring in all of these teams with obscure names from too far away we'll never draw 6,000 fans so we won't have to worry about that.
            Good point.
            Originally posted by JackFan96
            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
              That's not a bad thing. I'll trade a few 6,000 games for 4,500 season ticket sales plus student admissions.
              I think that is exactly right. Quality over quantity. Having a smaller max capacity with more reserved seating might make games have more of a "got to get tickets before they are gone" mentality.

Comment

I don't agree on this one. More reserved seating just means more corporate tickets will be bought which is a downer on the atmosphere in the gym. Nothing like having people in the seats who come to the game only because they got a free ticket.

Comment

Actually I think the last two posts are on the mark. It isn't a problem right now but WHEN the men get back to being a prominent team Frost Arena will be an in demand ticket.

What's the saying? Nothing attracts a crowd like a crowd. Last weekend proved to me how starved our fans are for the men's team to get back to prominence in our conference. There was also a lot of noise out of everybody including those in the blue seats. We all want more games like Saturday night. There were a number of recruits there and they were impressed.

It would be nice to have the students back on the floor with the cheerleaders in front of them. That change sucked some energy out of the building. It's a moot point becuase that isn't going to change either.

I do agree with the corporate seats being a downer but what do you do? They bring in a ton of money and that is absolutely a critical piece for the Athletic Department to be doing the things they are doing. Ticket revenue is nice, donor revenue is the key! My challenge would be for those of you that have corporate seats to make sure that there is a butt in those seats for each game.

The more people we expose to SDSU Athletics the more people will be at the games in the future. It blows me away the number of SDSU fans that haven't been to a game since Frost Arena was remodeled. We need them to experience it!

I do disagree to a certain extent with jackmd (shocker) about the obsure name teams. Oakland may not be a household name but they brought a very quality team to Brookings last week. As our fans get more and more in tune with Summit League teams I would expect that to change. SDSU has always been a men's basketball school and if this team continues to improve it wouldn't be a suprise to start seeing crowds go over the 6,000 mark on a fairly regular basis. That's all based on things going the right way in the future but I think it will happen.

The bottom line is the team keeps improving (and they will) more of us will be there to cheer them on! I can't wait for the next home games!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                  MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

SUPPERBUNNY ... I believe jackmd was being facetious with his comment.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
                      SUPPERBUNNY ... I believe jackmd was being facetious with his comment.
                      Yep,i caught his sarcasm myself.

Comment

I was kind of having a little fun as well mixed in there with the other stuff. Wasn't trying to take a shot at jackmd.

I love where we're going!

SUPERBUNNY
                        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post

I do disagree to a certain extent with jackmd (shocker) about the obsure name teams. Oakland may not be a household name but they brought a very quality team to Brookings last week. As our fans get more and more in tune with Summit League teams I would expect that to change. SDSU has always been a men's basketball school and if this team continues to improve it wouldn't be a suprise to start seeing crowds go over the 6,000 mark on a fairly regular basis. That's all based on things going the right way in the future but I think it will happen.

The bottom line is the team keeps improving (and they will) more of us will be there to cheer them on! I can't wait for the next home games!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                          You missed the sarcasm in my post. I was trying to stick it to all the naysayers who claimed the move to DI would be met with a persistent plummet in attendance due to the loss of local rivalries and name recognition with regional teams. Those of us with a greater vision and better understanding realized that the quality of athlete and therefore overall performance at the DI level would eventually win over the fans. Securing a conference made a HUGE difference and now the expectations are being met.

So, we can draw 6,000 per game and I fully expect that Frost will be a tough place to get a ticket. I've said that from the beginning and its the reason I own 4 season tickets now and plan to increase that number next year.

You missed the sarcasm and thats okay. We don't disagree that often, we just approach things a little differently.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                            I was kind of having a little fun as well mixed in there with the other stuff. Wasn't trying to take a shot at jackmd.

I love where we're going!

SUPERBUNNY
                            Touche, and shame on me.

Comment

If the new seating on the upper level is planned properly, I don't think they would loose too many seats. They could take advantage of the corners where currently there isn't seating. I also think they should leave the ends as bleacher seats. Not the old wood bleachers that are there, but style bleachers and not individual chair-back seats. Here is a picture of an arena that was recently constructed at Calvin College with elevated seating on the upper deck.

Comment

Working...
                              X