Jim Sutton SDSU alum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jim Sutton SDSU alum

Article from the Black Hills Pioneer about Mr. Jim Sutton and his legacy. Many of you know Jim and his family better than I.

http://www.bhpioneer.com/articles/20...a797092990.txt

Changes for South Dakota rodeo’s first family

At 73, Jim Sutton battles health woes as younger generation moves to fore
    By Peter Centineo
    The Weekly News

When you talk to Jim Sutton about the Black Hills Stock Show Rodeo, a smile creases his lips and he nods his head knowingly.

After 32 years as the rodeo’s producer, Sutton has an enduring affection for Rapid City and the friends he’s made over the years.

“This one’s special. There’s no doubt about that. We usually get here beginning of January and stay all month meeting with people and getting things ready,” he said. “At this show you see a lot of old friends every year.”

The 73-year-old Sutton is the patriarch of the Sutton family, which has ranched in Onida and produced its own rodeos since 1926. Sutton Rodeo Inc. has established itself over the decades as one of the best in the business. The stock the Suttons raise is second to none, Jim Sutton said...............

Jim Sutton was raised on the ranch, but ranching wasn’t his only interest. He was an athlete who loved playing basketball, and went to South Dakota State University, where he excelled on the basketball team. He was good enough to earn a tryout with the Lakers upon graduating in 1957.

“I really enjoyed basketball,” Sutton said. “When I got the tryout with the Lakers I was pretty happy. I tried out and they never cut me, but we were having a fall horse sale so I went back to the ranch and never left......................
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: Jim Sutton SDSU alum

Giddyup!

Comment

I remember Jim as a BB player, and his string of consecutive free throws. I believe he still has the record for career high in free throws. I want to say its about 86%. Yes he had a good out side shot as his wife was quoted in the article. One of the stories that was floating around during his playing career was Coach Iverson's concern about Sutton's participation in Rodeo, and the possiblity of getting hurt real bad. Jim allegedly told his coach that he was concern about getting hurt in BB and not being able to Rodeo.

Jim in my opionion is an SDSU legend in BB, and well if his life after BB was rodeo stock production, you can't not say its been less than successful. I am happy too that SDSU Alumni Association voted him into the Distinquished Alumni ranks just this past fall.

Jim is also the grandfather of the Yackley player that was a walkon maybe two season ago. I cant remember the first name, but the other grandfather I believe was Bob Yackley who also played for the Jacks a few years later after Jim Sutton finished his career.

Comment

Althogh their bucking stock isn't what is was once, the Suttons are legendary as rodeo producers throughout the country.

Comment

Working...
        X