Legislation Requiring SDSU to play USD getting filed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Legislation Requiring SDSU to play USD getting filed

I appreciate JimmyJack's thoughts on not getting too worked up on this right now. That said, so often, too often, people float around ideas and not much is said in opposition. I see no problem with people voicing their opinions on this matter before any formal process is started.

As for Heidepreim, I've known him personally for over thirty years. He is a good guy. But, he is a politician and so he has his ear low to the ground. Just because he is a good guy it doesn't prevent him from proposing goofy legislation.

By the way, most people in South Dakota don't want to see SDSU and USD play again. Do you know why? Because most people don't care. They have their own lives to worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
      By the way, most people in South Dakota don't want to see SDSU and USD play again. Do you know why? Because most people don't care. They have their own lives to worry about.
      Amen to that. The voices on this forum represent a very small faction that focus a good part of their time and energy on SDSU. Most and I by that I mean almost everybody else in the state of South Dakota, really couldn't care less about renewing "the rivalry".
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I like Scott Heidepriem and he's a friend. He's a very good lawyer. He's done good work for the state while serving in the legislature. If (when) Scott runs for Gov, he'll be a great choice.

Legislative action on scheduling football games in any year is just dumb. Such action in a year when the state faces its worst budget crisis in Scott Heidepriem's lifetime, is an insult. I've written to Scott and expressed my views.

Comment

FYI -- Just yesterday I emailed Sen. Nesselhuf (D-Vermillion) on this issue. He indicated that he has heard nothing this session of any type of looming legislative proposal mandating State-U athletic scheduling. Obviously something could still pop up, but I find it unlikely, and, moreover, a political misstep if it does. Much bigger fish to fry. The wheels are already in motion in terms of USD-SDSU competition. I agree that it should happen naturally.

As for Scott Heidepriem, don’t let a little alleged political posturing fool you; the guy is incredibly intelligent and a very capable leader.
          University of South Dakota:
          Oldest university of the Dakotas; Home of S.D.'s only accredited law, medical and business schools; S.D.'s designated liberal arts institution; National scholars galore; Alma mater of 10 S.D. governors, 20 members of Congress, all sitting S.D. Supreme Ct. justices and 1/2 of all S.D. physicians; Warmer than Brookings; Where JackMD received his advanced degree!

Comment

The bill is there with Heidepriem and Hunhoff inquiring about other sponsors. The press has the story and it's being talked about in the Statehouse this morning.

I agreed with yotemeal: it would be a (dumb) misstep to talk about football schedules when the budget is such a mess.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
              The bill is there with Heidepriem and Hunhoff inquiring about other sponsors. The press has the story and it's being talked about in the Statehouse this morning.

I agreed with yotemeal: it would be a (dumb) misstep to talk about football schedules when the budget is such a mess.

Have to agree with JackJD and yotemeal. They should have way more important things to do with their time.

Is there a link to the text of the bill? I would like to read it and see what exactly it is says.

Comment

I just did a quick search at the LRC's website and found nothing, but I'm guessing if they are still looking for sponsors it hasn't been filed yet. JackJD have you seen/heard this story somewhere in the state media today?

Comment

No, I have not seen anything in print on it. I know that reporters are aware of the topic (I contacted two myself). There should be a regularly-scheduled press conference tomorrow and it may come up at that time.

According to the calendar available on the Legislative Research Council's website, tomorrow (Friday, 1/30/09) at 5:00 p.m. is the deadline for drafts of bills with sponsors TO BE BACK TO THE LRC. Tuesday is the deadline to file "individual bills and joint resolutions." Wednesday is the deadline to file "committee bills and joint resolutions." LINK TO CALENDAR.

Ideas for bills are being tossed about and legislators are given the opportunity to jump onboard as a sponsor. Many of those bills won't see the light of day and will not be filed by the deadline. The reasons for talking about bill proposals are as varied as there are people in the State. It happens frequently that a bill draft is prepared but goes nowhere but the legislator can tell a constituent that "I tried but no one was interested in the issue." Yesterday I reviewed and commented on a draft of a bill (on a serious subject) that I am sure will not be filed.

The law is like sausage. If you like it, don't watch it being made.

Comment

No, I have not seen anything in print on it. I know that reporters are aware of the topic (I contacted two myself). There should be a regularly-scheduled press conference tomorrow and it may come up at that time.

According to the calendar available on the Legislative Research Council's website, tomorrow (Friday, 1/30/09) at 5:00 p.m. is the deadline for drafts of bills with sponsors TO BE BACK TO THE LRC. Tuesday is the deadline to file "individual bills and joint resolutions." Wednesday is the deadline to file "committee bills and joint resolutions." LINK TO CALENDAR.

Ideas for bills are being tossed about and legislators are given the opportunity to jump onboard as a sponsor. Many of those bills won't see the light of day and will not be filed by the deadline. The reasons for talking about bill proposals are as varied as there are people in the State. It happens frequently that a bill draft is prepared but goes nowhere but the legislator can tell a constituent that "I tried but no one was interested in the issue." Yesterday I reviewed and commented on a draft of a bill (on a serious subject) that I am sure will not be filed.

The law is like sausage. If you like it, don't watch it being made.
                    JackJD has this right.... just because somebody is circulating a bill doesn't mean its going to be submitted and even if submitted there is still a less then 50-50 shot that it becomes anything.....

Comment

Agreed on the misstep. I contacted a friend in the House two nights ago and he had heard about it. He's an SDSU grad that wouldn't be in favor for sure. Here's to hoping many agree that its stupid and it doesn't see the light of day.
                      "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                      "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

I would have to agree with this statement as well. As someone who is neither a SDSU or a USD grad, the emotional aspect isn't there for me. And even if I had the connection either way, there is much bigger things to worry about now, as previous posts have mentioned.

Comment

Hehe, you guys are pretty mild-mannered - I'd still be foaming at the mouth over that law that said no SD school could use state money for DI - I can't remember that exact wording but didn't it get repealed the second the USD said they were going DI?

Comment

That's always been a little fuzzy to me. I think it was a rule imposed by the Board of Regents, not the legislature. The BOR can bend one of its mandates, I suppose. I think it permitted SDSU to get slightly creative on scholarships temporarily...not sure. To my thinking, when the NCC was collapsing, and the NCAA imposing a moratorium on moving up, USD had little choice and perhaps the Regents bent their rules to make it happen. But, as I said, that whole subject is fuzzy to me.

I know this: if that legislation sees the light of day and gains any momentum, there will be a lot of extremely upset people in this state.

Comment

It was the Regent's mandate, not the Legislature's. They were pretty much saying at the time of the decision, "Okay, you want it so bad, then do it by yourselves." Thus, they tied one arm behind our backs.

I'm not quite sure how they are getting it done at USD. They have considerably fewer full time students (generating student fees), considerably fewer fans (generating ticket sales) and are newcomers to big corporate sponsorships which require time to cultivate.

They must have some creative accountants.

Comment

I'm not quite sure how they are getting it done at USD. They have considerably fewer full time students (generating student fees), considerably fewer fans (generating ticket sales) and are newcomers to big corporate sponsorships which require time to cultivate.
                                I don't know how President Abbott is at running a school of higher education, but I will give him one thing. He does know how to surround himself with people that have money. It looks like he is a good money raiser and when Ted Munster headed the foundation, they did quite well. Don't have any clue how they are doing now.

Comment

Working...
                                X