A thought regarding games on TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A thought regarding games on TV

I had a thought today about putting games on TV--like the NDSU games this weekend.

SDSU rightfully makes a big deal about the experience for the student-athlete. But, I wonder, does putting SDSU basketball games on local TV make for a better experience for the students in the stands? If you've been reading here you know I'm kind of an economic realist about a lot of things, but I wonder if the university's administration has considered the positive benefit to the non-student-athlete in putting the games on TV.

The students get to be seen (possibly by their parents--"Hi, Mom!") on local TV, get to do the wild and crazy student section thing they see on TV at Duke, Kansas, etc., and generally get to have a good time hanging out with their friends, showing off for the opposite sex, etc., etc. Of course, the students could easily do much of this without benefit of the TV cameras, but I wonder if there might be a perception among the student body that it's just more fun when they know they're being broadcast.

Anyway, it was a thought as I was cooking dinner tonight . . . comments, especially from current students, are solicited.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Re: A thought regarding games on TV

Originally posted by filbert View Post
    I had a thought today about putting games on TV--like the NDSU games this weekend.

SDSU rightfully makes a big deal about the experience for the student-athlete. But, I wonder, does putting SDSU basketball games on local TV make for a better experience for the students in the stands? If you've been reading here you know I'm kind of an economic realist about a lot of things, but I wonder if the university's administration has considered the positive benefit to the non-student-athlete in putting the games on TV.

The students get to be seen (possibly by their parents--"Hi, Mom!") on local TV, get to do the wild and crazy student section thing they see on TV at Duke, Kansas, etc., and generally get to have a good time hanging out with their friends, showing off for the opposite sex, etc., etc. Of course, the students could easily do much of this without benefit of the TV cameras, but I wonder if there might be a perception among the student body that it's just more fun when they know they're being broadcast.

Anyway, it was a thought as I was cooking dinner tonight . . . comments, especially from current students, are solicited.
    ya i think it adds to the fun, i got several messages from family and friends that saw me on tv.

Comment

Sounds like a small thing, but in the future, we need to get the high center TV cameras on the other side of the court where the Daktronics/Keyframe camera is. Viewers expect logos to be right-side-up and they expect to see players and coaches and benches from the front on that high center camera. Plus, the student section is a much better visual backdrop than all of us old fossils in the blue seats.

Branding matters (logo must be right-side-up). Viewers' expectations matter. Good TV is more than simply pointing a camera or several cameras at a court. I hope getting facilities and services into Frost to build a larger, sturdier camera platform on the reserved side is on somebody's agenda. We'll lose five or six seats at the very top of the blue seats. It's a small price to pay.

While I'm at it, the court lighting in Frost isn't nearly up to par for TV games, especially future HD broadcasts. That's a more expensive problem, and I know that's on the agenda. Let's add the TV platform to the "to do" list in Frost.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
        Sounds like a small thing, but in the future, we need to get the high center TV cameras on the other side of the court where the Daktronics/Keyframe camera is. Viewers expect logos to be right-side-up and they expect to see players and coaches and benches from the front on that high center camera. Plus, the student section is a much better visual backdrop than all of us old fossils in the blue seats.

Branding matters (logo must be right-side-up). Viewers' expectations matter. Good TV is more than simply pointing a camera or several cameras at a court. I hope getting facilities and services into Frost to build a larger, sturdier camera platform on the reserved side is on somebody's agenda. We'll lose five or six seats at the very top of the blue seats. It's a small price to pay.

While I'm at it, the court lighting in Frost isn't nearly up to par for TV games, especially future HD broadcasts. That's a more expensive problem, and I know that's on the agenda. Let's add the TV platform to the "to do" list in Frost.
        EXTREMELY good points . . . the upside-down SD looked pretty dumb on the recording of the game that I saw. A camera high on the reserved seat side would also show the benches and the student sections to excellent effect, and yeah, lighting needs to be upgraded. I second the additions to the todo list.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
        X