Hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hockey

I'm sure this has been brought up before. Is there any talk of making Hockey a school sanctioned sport?

Re: Hockey

I have not heard of any talk. It would take a large amount of money for that.
    I think we have some bigger needs for that money.

Comment

Originally posted by 22jack View Post
      I have not heard of any talk. It would take a large amount of money for that.
      I think we have some bigger needs for that money.
      Bigger problem would be scholarships. Women's hockey might be a possibility - - but only if SDSU ever decided it wanted or needed to reclassify to FBS football.

Men's hockey isn't ever going to happen at SDSU unless you want to eliminate other intercollegiate sports in my opinion--it's a Title IX issue.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

It is an official club sport only, but more of a fight club.

Comment

That’s unfortunate, I see how popular it is in North Dakota, Minnesota and even Sioux Falls. I think it would be a great draw and even a revenue generating sport. I do agree it would take serious money and time, but if we want to continue pushing for growth this is a viable avenue. As for Title 9, field both a men’s and women’s team.

Comment

Aint going to happen...Its popular all over the state, Sioux Falls has been fortunate because it is the largest city and has minor league teams. Hell, SF wasnt even a original member of the SDAHA, so it goes to show what a population base and those minor leagues can do for you. Unfortunatly, it just isnt going to happen at SDSU for many years if ever.

Comment

The start up costs for a hockey program scholarships, travel, coaching staff, is just too much for what it is actually worth. I would argue with anyone who thinks that South Dakota is a big time hockey state or has the potential to be one. I don't think there is much money to be made at the the Larsen Ice Center either. Not exactly a real hockey arena with an adequate amount of seats and suites to generate the money just to break even.

There are many current sports on campus that have been around a while and deserve to be fully funded scholarship, coaching wise and also provided adequate facilities, both practice and competition before SDSU needs to think about adding more programs like hockey.

Let hockey be a club sport.

Comment

Originally posted by SD-STATE View Post
                Let hockey be a club sport.
                Amen, we sponsor enough sports that don't make money, starting a hockey program carries with it a large amount of risk while the benefits would be minimal at best. Not happening.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                  Amen, we sponsor enough sports that don't make money, starting a hockey program carries with it a large amount of risk while the benefits would be minimal at best. Not happening.
                  I’m not sure why I feel the way I do, I’ve never played hockey nor have I been a huge hockey supporter, but I disagree with your comment. Hockey is a huge revenue generator for many colleges and I’m not sure why SDSU would have to be any different. We will have to agree to disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by SFJACK View Post
                    I’m not sure why I feel the way I do, I’ve never played hockey nor have I been a huge hockey supporter, but I disagree with your comment. Hockey is a huge revenue generator for many colleges and I’m not sure why SDSU would have to be any different. We will have to agree to disagree.
                    I disagree, I've done some research on this and the teams aren't pulling in a lot of money.

Comment

Originally posted by SFJACK View Post
                      Ask Fred about the future of hockey at SDSU. He'll tell you what I'm telling you. We aren't going to be sponsoring any more sports any time soon. In fact, I'd say, its more likely (although very unlikely) that we would drop a sport than add any. I'M NOT SAYING WE ARE DROPPING ANY SPORTS.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

We sponser 21 sports...that's plenty for us to be worrying about right now!

Comment

I believe that with 21 sports, that SDSU is in the top 10% of FCS schools for the number of student-athletes sponsored.

I know that in the Summit League that the only sponsored sport missing at SDSU is men's soccer. Few schools outside of BCS schools sponsor both FOOTBALL and MENS SOCCER.

Comment

As it has been mentioned before. I don't have the exact numbers, but I do remember seeing the numbers before that the local schools in this region that sponsor hockey are lucky to break even, if not mostly take a loss on their hockey programs. St. Cloud, Mankato, Duluth, Bemiji, und. All established schools that draw alot of talent from MN, a hockey state, which I will go out on a limb and say that SD will never reach that status.

Comment

Originally posted by SD-STATE View Post
                              As it has been mentioned before. I don't have the exact numbers, but I do remember seeing the numbers before that the local schools in this region that sponsor hockey are lucky to break even, if not mostly take a loss on their hockey programs. St. Cloud, Mankato, Duluth, Bemiji, und. All established schools that draw alot of talent from MN, a hockey state, which I will go out on a limb and say that SD will never reach that status.

Hockey was one of the big "secret" reasons these school's administrations were so worried about the NCC breaking up and Non-Hockey teams moving to D-I. They knew they couldn't make the move to D-I with Hockey weighing them down, even if it is probably the most popular sport on campus.

IMO, SDSU will have men's soccer before they ever think about having Hockey, and IMO that isn't going to happen anytime soon, considering SDSU already fields 21 sports.
                              Hockey fans will never let themselves believe that Hockey is only popular in about 5 states in the U.S. and that will probably never change.

Go Jacks!!
                              SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Working...
                              X