Cowbells at Football Games in 2008?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cowbells at Football Games in 2008?

I know cowbells are no longer allowed in Frost, but what about for football. Anyone know?

Re: Cowbells at Football Games in 2008?

Yes, they will be allowed.
    We...ARE...STATE!
    SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Good to hear... Just ain't the same without them. Now if only they could bring back the 'more cowbell' skit from SNL.

Comment

Or better yet... Fly Christopher Walken into CAS on a helicopter and have him say it live at mid-field during Hobo Day!

Hey, a Jackrabbit can dream, can't he?
        I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

There was a rumor running around that they were working on getting Ferrell to come in and play the cowbell the first year that they ran the skits. I never talked to anyone that could confirm or deny that attempts were made.
          "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
          -Leo Rosten

Comment

I found this press release a little interesting. In an age when it sometimes appears our athletic administration is trying to mimimize the use of cowbells at SDSU. They do not use the promos and cow bells not being sold in the bookstore. Another school is looking at the cowbell to bring excitement and increase the home field advantage.

The New Mexico State athletics department announced Friday that cowbells will become part of the game-day environment at Aggie Memorial Stadium for the 2008 season. The campaign titled, Bring It-Ring It, seeks to create a new interactive tradition for NMSU home football games.
            http://www.nmstatesports.com/ViewArt...ATCLID=1555154
            We...ARE...STATE!
            SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

http://www.morecowbell.dj/

If you got a song, you can give it more cowbell.

Here's some I did:
              Ring the Bells
              http://www.morecowbell.dj/listen?id=DQxoCC
              created with 91% cowbell and 20% Walken

Crank dat Soldier Boy
              http://www.morecowbell.dj/listen?id=CLsmGC
              created with 28% cowbell and 11% Walken

Comment

Apparently, MoValley football has the same no artificial noisemaker rules as Summit League.

That begs the question - Will cowbells be allowed for McNeese or Poly games?

Cowbells are a part of the mcNeese cheerleading as it is "Moo U"s. Check with the Athletic Dept. locals and get an answer for Hobo Day Cheering.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                  Apparently, MoValley football has the same no artificial noisemaker rules as Summit League.

That begs the question - Will cowbells be allowed for McNeese or Poly games?

Cowbells are a part of the mcNeese cheerleading as it is "Moo U"s. Check with the Athletic Dept. locals and get an answer for Hobo Day Cheering.
                  Good question! What I'm wondering is if there isn't some NCAA policy somewhere that prevents artificial noisemakers? Anybody know? It just seems like they're taking some of the fun out of games these days. It's part of home field advantage. Visiting teams should just deal with it!

This may have been mentioned elsewhere, but "The College On The Hill" has a chapter on the history of cowbells at State. Seems like they were big at one time, but the tradition died out over the years. Since the book was published, cowbells have -- or had -- taken on a new life.

I agree that the administration should have done a better job of communicating the new policies, rather than just putting up a sign at CAS or Frost. Explain that these are conference directives. People still may not like it, but would be more accepting of the policy.
                  "You trusted us"

Comment

No, there's no NCAA regulation about artificial noisemakers, except at NCAA-sponsored events (i.e. championships where they are banned--at least for basketball). Hopefully we'll have a chance to worry about an NCAA noisemaker ban for football playoffs this year.

The conferences make the rules. Conference members are, I believe, obligated to enforce their conference's rules, even when hosting non-conference teams.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                      No, there's no NCAA regulation about artificial noisemakers, except at NCAA-sponsored events (i.e. championships where they are banned--at least for basketball). Hopefully we'll have a chance to worry about an NCAA noisemaker ban for football playoffs this year.

The conferences make the rules. Conference members are, I believe, obligated to enforce their conference's rules, even when hosting non-conference teams.
                      You're absolutely right on conferences setting the rule, but I'm not really sure you are right about what a school is allowed to do at non-conference games. The problem, of course, is allowing them on one hand, and not another, and getting fans to figure it all out and not get angry (make that VERY angry.)

FYI, Dr. Oien is not in agreement with the Summit League and Missouri Valley Conference rule. He believes it takes away from fan involvement and the atmosphere of athletic contests. The Gateway and Summit League rules prohibit artificial noisemakers.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                        You're absolutely right on conferences setting the rule, but I'm not really sure you are right about what a school is allowed to do at non-conference games. The problem, of course, is allowing them on one hand, and not another, and getting fans to figure it all out and not get angry (make that VERY angry.)

FYI, Dr. Oien is not in agreement with the Summit League and Missouri Valley Conference rule. He believes it takes away from fan involvement and the atmosphere of athletic contests. The Gateway and Summit League rules prohibit artificial noisemakers.
                        I guess the reason I think that conference rules would apply even to non-conference home events, is that usually we'll have conference refereeing crews working our home non-conference games. I think (as you note) it would be wildly confusing for the referees, not to mention the fans, to have different rules based only on who your opponent happened to be. So it would really be easiest for everyone concerned to enforce the conference rules at all home games, regardless of if they were conference games or not.

Not that I necessarily agree or disagree with the rules, but just that it makes sense to do it that way.
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

You got it right Filbert. I'm not sure it is by rule, but the word I got is that we will not allow noisemakers at non-conference games as well.

Comment

I think it makes sense. Should just get people used to not bringing them rather than think about what game they can or can't bring them to.
                            "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                            -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
                              I think it makes sense. Should just get people used to not bringing them rather than think about what game they can or can't bring them to.
                              Honestly, I loved ringing my cowbell, but I really don't miss it.
                              "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Working...
                              X