X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Transition Is Over; Sdsu Is Full D-i

from Vandrovec at the Argus-Leader:
    This just out from SDSU and the NCAA:
    INDIANAPOLIS — The NCAA Division I Management Council Administrative Committee, acting on behalf of the DI Management Council, announced Thursday that South Dakota State University has met the requirements to become an active member of NCAA Division I, starting at the beginning of the 2008-09 academic year. Previously a member of Division II, SDSU successfully completed the five-year process of moving its athletics programs to comply with Division I membership requirements. Requirements include compliance with Division I rules for the final four years, meeting minimum financial aid and contest scheduling limits, engaging in a rules compliance review and successfully completing the athletics certification process.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Re: The Transition Is Over; Sdsu Is Full D-i

That is fantastic!!!

Congratulations to all of those that help make this happen!!!

Go State!!!
    Go Jacks!!!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

amen!

Comment

From an article by Terry:

SDSU gains active Division I status
        By Terry Vandrovec • tvandrovec@argusleader.com • June 26, 2008

The transition is over. On Thursday, the NCAA announced that South Dakota State has met the requirements to become an active member of Division I, signaling the successful completion of the five-year transition process.

“I think today should be the day that we say we’re ready to take on the world,” Jackrabbits athletic director Fred Oien said. “We need to take a deep breath and relax a little bit and enjoy the moment, but our aspirations are much higher than becoming a Division I institution. We want to become a highly successful Division I institution. We’ve got a ways to go.”

(read more)

More quotes from Dr. Oien are here in Terry's blog.

Comment

This is great news to hear and I am a very happy Jackrabbit!!

Comment

A more complete article from Terry in today's Argus is here.

Comment

When I was in school from 1994-1999, I thought how nice it would be if the State's largest school ever became a Division One school. Of course, that was only a pipe dream shared by me and a few sparse others.

When SDSU declared they were leaving the NCC to move up to D-I, it was a little bittersweet. Great that we were going to be moving from the regional ranks to the national ranks. Not so great that we were going to abandon some decent rivalries. Fortunately, NDSU was with us every step of the way and showed us just how good a rivalry can be!

We went through transition hell, the players, the coaches, the administrators, and the fans. We found a home in the Summit League and with us, NDSU, and IPFW, we're injecting new blood and new life into that conference.

Our women's basketball team made the post-season twice, our Volleyball team made the first-ever NCAA Division One post-season appearance for SDSU, and there's that little thing about the football team I forgot to mention!

And during this transition, the teams have not only grown and prospered, but the school in general. I've seen more development and growth at SDSU in the past five years of transition than I did in my five years of being a student. Not just the athletic facilities, but new classrooms, a student union that would make USD envious, a development park, the Enterprise Institute (helping small businesses boldly go where others have gone before!), the new Engineering building, the Avera Health Sciences Building, the Student Athlete development center, Cadwell Hall (wow! air-conditioned dorms!)... am I forgetting anything people?!?

All in all, the transition from Division II to Division I was the shot in the arm that South Dakota State needed. And everyone, from former president Peggy Miller, AD Fred Oien, current president David Chicoinne (SP) all the coaches, athletes, students, donors, and fans have played a role in this success. The future for South Dakota State University has never been brighter!

As so many have said on this board before me, I'll end my rave by saying this....

IT'S A GREAT DAY TO BE A JACKRABBIT!
              I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Hear Hear!

Comment

Excellent post, jackrabit1! I don't think I could have said it better myself!

When I was in school in the early 80s, and in the years after, there was a part of me that always wondered "What if ...". How cool would it be for SDSU to be Division I? Could we go and succeed in D-I? Was it even realistic to think that? Or have I simply had a few too many 99-cent pitchers at the NAPA Auto Parts Store?

But when the talk of going D-I turned serious, I have to say I was not on board. It sounded good, but for a number of reasons, I had my doubts that it was really the right thing to do.

I'm glad I was wrong! Congratulations to the entire SDSU community! I'm excited about what the future holds for this university, both in the classroom and on the field!

GO JACKS!
                  "You trusted us"

Comment

Originally posted by AnimalHouse83 View Post
                    Or have I simply had a few too many 99-cent pitchers at the NAPA Auto Parts Store?
                    Rep points for bringing back that memory, and on a Friday afternoon no less!!
                    @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                    --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
                      Is that Hort's at 3rd St. & 4th Ave (one block east of Main)? Many a good time there!

Comment

You youngsters! You had no idea what Horts was all about unless you experienced the old Horts (now a bank parking lot?).

Great news on the end of transition!

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post

Thanks! I was wondering if anyone would catch that reference!

Forgive me for straying off topic ... and if this discussion should be moved elsewhere, I'm cool with that ... but I think it was between my sophomore and junior years that Horts closed for good and became the Lucky Lady. Not a popular decision at all ...
                          "You trusted us"

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                            You youngsters! You had no idea what Horts was all about unless you experienced the old Horts (now a bank parking lot?).

Yes I did experience the Old Horts in fact I took the last bowling class for PE just before the Sports Center was converted into Horts and Pairie Lanes opened up along old US 14. I dont recall the price of pitcher of beer when Horts opened ( 1962 or 1963 maybe), but it probably was less than 99 cents. Its also the place where consumed beer took over and cause me one heck of shiner in the alley between the bank and Horts. Thats not a good memory.

I dont recall any talk about D1 back then, none, but its now for real. We can all be proud.
                            Last edited by Nidaros; 06-28-2008, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post

I've been kinda busy with work and haven't been following the forum like I should. Then I read this thread tonight and man, does that bring back the old memories. Don't think I ever heard D1 talk back then. Went to both locations of Hort's in my school days. That is probably why I crowded four years into four and one-half. Five Hobo days was enough.

JD, why don't you share some stories of your ole buddy, Nutsy? Hey, how's your a**?

You young guys whould have had to be there to get this...

Comment

Working...
                              X