Stan Marshall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stan Marshall

Well, I won't issue an opinion right now on the department's overall marketing effort, but I will say that I think trying to make a big deal out of "marketing" the Stan Marshall is way off base. I was on the original SM committee and have attended every one, but one, of the events. There is no more marketing to do on the golf portion. We had 200 golfers on the course, two teams of five on 14 holes, and four teams of five on four holes, this year. It takes 5 1/2 hours to play. The cost is $225 per person, not including the cart. We no longer pay celebrity expenses, so it nets more. It is advertised every place it needs to be IMHO.

Now as to the auction, which is where the big money is...years ago it used to be an auction for the players in the tournament. The department came up with the idea of holding the auction on Friday night, and including anybody who wants to pay $20 for the right to come, enjoy a social evening, eat some hor d'oeuvres, buy some drinks and shell out money for auction items. It has been a fantastic money raiser. The amount each year grew tremendously for awhile, but has naturally leveled out. The amount received is directly related to the number and quality of the donated auction items, and, of course, the bidding levels.

I don't know the exact figures, but I would venture to say that of the $78,000 total of this year's auction, 60-70% came from 10-15 people popping for $2,000-$4,000 for the items purchased. This is mainly a tap on the Brookings supporters. Sure we get a few out of towners, and would welcome anybody. But few want to drive a 100-mile roundtrip to attend the auction and spend their money, when they aren't playing in the tournament. This is a local event (the auction) that doesn't fit into broad-based marketing and its attendant costs.

You also have the tapped-out factor. We've been in the $1,000-$3,000 bidder group for a number of years, but our time is waning on being able to do that. So donors come and go. The department and the SM committee works on the local support group and auction donors very, very hard...I don't believe they can be faulted on that count.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
      Well, I won't issue an opinion right now on the department's overall marketing effort, but I will say that I think trying to make a big deal out of "marketing" the Stan Marshall is way off base. I was on the original SM committee and have attended every one, but one, of the events. There is no more marketing to do on the golf portion. We had 200 golfers on the course, two teams of five on 14 holes, and four teams of five on four holes, this year. It takes 5 1/2 hours to play. The cost is $225 per person, not including the cart. We no longer pay celebrity expenses, so it nets more. It is advertised every place it needs to be IMHO.

Now as to the auction, which is where the big money is...years ago it used to be an auction for the players in the tournament. The department came up with the idea of holding the auction on Friday night, and including anybody who wants to pay $20 for the right to come, enjoy a social evening, eat some hor d'oeuvres, buy some drinks and shell out money for auction items. It has been a fantastic money raiser. The amount each year grew tremendously for awhile, but has naturally leveled out. The amount received is directly related to the number and quality of the donated auction items, and, of course, the bidding levels.

I don't know the exact figures, but I would venture to say that of the $78,000 total of this year's auction, 60-70% came from 10-15 people popping for $2,000-$4,000 for the items purchased. This is mainly a tap on the Brookings supporters. Sure we get a few out of towners, and would welcome anybody. But few want to drive a 100-mile roundtrip to attend the auction and spend their money, when they aren't playing in the tournament. This is a local event (the auction) that doesn't fit into broad-based marketing and its attendant costs.

You also have the tapped-out factor. We've been in the $1,000-$3,000 bidder group for a number of years, but our time is waning on being able to do that. So donors come and go. The department and the SM committee works on the local support group and auction donors very, very hard...I don't believe they can be faulted on that count.
      I think that has alot to do with it. I also think people my around my age (8-15 years out of college) are the new generation who would add to the numbers at the SM. However, most of my age group is just recently getting to the point where they have some spare coin in their pocket which makes an event like the SM appealing. I would hope and guess that the numbers will go up when the younger guard starts feeling ok about bringing their checkbooks to the SM and blowing a little in the name of SDSU.

I do think something has to be done by way of advertising or at least education regarding dates for the SM in advance. I made a specific point to tell my buddies I'd be back for the SM this year after not being able to fit it in the last couple of years. However, time passes and I forgot to really follow up on the date. I got something in the mail about a month before the event. By that time I had already scheduled over that weekend. We in the Northern climates tend to fill up our summer calendars quickly because it's the only time all year we can actually get outside and enjoy our selves. A little advanced notice is all I need for the SM.
      "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

MJA...put it on your calendar right now for 2009...ALWAYS the first Saturday after Memorial Day! Look forward to seeing you back next year!

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
          MJA...put it on your calendar right now for 2009...ALWAYS the first Saturday after Memorial Day! Look forward to seeing you back next year!
          Consider it marked!
          "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

There have been many good points made on this post, so I hope mine doesn’t fail to meet the standers. Maybe it’s time to break free of the “local event” mentality. I know I might get some grief for saying this, but let’s try marketing in the larger areas, Sioux Falls, Rapid City, Aberdeen heck even Minneapolis and Kansas City. There are many proud SDSU Alumni out there who would love to have a weekend event to comeback to Brookings for. If we are maxed out on the golf courses, look at other course. I know there are plenty of courses within 50 miles of downtown Brookings, and they would love to host and event like this. As for the economy possibly being a reason for lower revenue, in my work with charities I’ve found the exact opposite. When people have to tighten up their wallets, they stop spending $ on lavish items, but continue to give to the things they feel strongly about.

Comment

Originally posted by SFJACK View Post
              There have been many good points made on this post, so I hope mine doesn’t fail to meet the standers. Maybe it’s time to break free of the “local event” mentality. I know I might get some grief for saying this, but let’s try marketing in the larger areas, Sioux Falls, Rapid City, Aberdeen heck even Minneapolis and Kansas City. There are many proud SDSU Alumni out there who would love to have a weekend event to comeback to Brookings for. If we are maxed out on the golf courses, look at other course. I know there are plenty of courses within 50 miles of downtown Brookings, and they would love to host and event like this. As for the economy possibly being a reason for lower revenue, in my work with charities I’ve found the exact opposite. When people have to tighten up their wallets, they stop spending $ on lavish items, but continue to give to the things they feel strongly about.
              There's alumni golfing events/fundraisers scattered across SD throughout the summer. Volga, Yankton, Redfield, Spearfish are a few of the locations. The Spearfish event is a good time. Lots of people from all over the place come. We had a USD grad in our foursome last year. It's a very well organized event.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm View Post
                There's alumni golfing events/fundraisers scattered across SD throughout the summer. Volga, Yankton, Redfield, Spearfish are a few of the locations. The Spearfish event is a good time. Lots of people from all over the place come. We had a USD grad in our foursome last year. It's a very well organized event.

Here is a link for upcoming Alumni events:

http://www.statealum.com/s/357/index...gid=13&cid=685

As you can see events all over SD and all over the USA.

Go State!

Comment

I realize there are golf outing all over the state, but I thought we were discussing the Stan Marshall Weekend.

Originally posted by 89rabbit View Post
                  Here is a link for upcoming Alumni events:

http://www.statealum.com/s/357/index...gid=13&cid=685

As you can see events all over SD and all over the USA.

Go State!

Comment

Working...
                  X