Stan Marshall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stan Marshall

Any news coming from the Stan Marshall weekend?
    We...ARE...STATE!
    SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Re: Stan Marshall

Somewhere in the neighborhood of 80,000 dollars was raised in the auction.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman View Post
      Somewhere in the neighborhood of 80,000 dollars was raised in the auction.
      You're close Blue, officlal amount announced Saturday was $78,000. Great day, beautiful weather, those attending the Golf Classic had a lot of fun. Team numbers were down (but 200 golfers participated). After the two session attempt (morning, afternoon) proved unworkable, last year's change to this year's format ended up with 6-6 1/2 hour rounds and probably discouraged some participants. But some new rules, which made a lot of sense, did the job and we finished in a little over 5-5 1/2 hours. It was another great day for the Jackrabbit Nation!

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
        officlal amount announced Saturday was $78,000.
        I don't remember what the numbers were during my three years in the department, but it seems like the auction $$$ is trending down. Is the event losing some of its luster?
        I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
          Is the event losing some of its luster?
          Great question. Let me take a stab at answering that for you. Last year on the message board there was some good chatter about the event, auction items, new people wanting information, etc. This year...nada. Also, there was little publicity from the athletic department from what I saw. I did receive the golf entry as a former participant, but that was the extent of any information I remember seeing. I subscribe to the gojacks.com news via RSS feed and do not recall one item ever announcing the event. And, the reality is, I was not even aware the event had taken place last weekend. So, lost some luster, appears so. That, or it's just so big there's no need to promote it anymore.

Comment

Great question. Let me take a stab at answering that for you. Last year on the message board there was some good chatter about the event, auction items, new people wanting information, etc. This year...nada. Also, there was little publicity from the athletic department from what I saw. I did receive the golf entry as a former participant, but that was the extent of any information I remember seeing. I subscribe to the gojacks.com news via RSS feed and do not recall one item ever announcing the event. And, the reality is, I was not even aware the event had taken place last weekend. So, lost some luster, appears so. That, or it's just so big there's no need to promote it anymore.
            There was considerable promotion in Brookings. Tyler mentioned it daily on his morning show, and Christi Williams was on the Sports Show to promote the event.
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
              There was considerable promotion in Brookings. Tyler mentioned it daily on his morning show, and Christi Williams was on the Sports Show to promote the event.
              That's great. But there's a considerable number of people who don't live in Brookings and don't have access to the local radio to here the promos. I'm glad they covered it well in Brookings, but what about the out of towners who may have an interest?

Comment

That's great. But there's a considerable number of people who don't live in Brookings and don't have access to the local radio to here the promos. I'm glad they covered it well in Brookings, but what about the out of towners who may have an interest?
                An add with Debeer's voice (I think) ran daily on WNAX. I was on call all weekend or I would have attended. I guess I'll distribute my usual auction money elsewhere this year.

I have enjoyed the evening in the past and intend to return if my schedule allows.

BTW, big SDSU golf event in Yankton tomorrow. I believe we have about 25 four person teams scheduled to play and enjoy the evening. I understand The President and his lovely wife will be in attendance along with several coaches and others from the AD.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Once again, it comes down to marketing. This was a poorly marketed event. You may not be able to have many more in the golf tourney, but you can still promote the evening event. What about all those "new" fans that have packed CAS the last couple of years? Wouldn't this be a great way to connect with them on a new level?

CatchEmAll: talking to yourself is normal, answering yourself...very funny!

Comment

Originally posted by collegewatcher View Post
                    Once again, it comes down to marketing. This was a poorly marketed event. You may not be able to have many more in the golf tourney, but you can still promote the evening event. What about all those "new" fans that have packed CAS the last couple of years? Wouldn't this be a great way to connect with them on a new level?

CatchEmAll: talking to yourself is normal, answering yourself...very funny!
                    How can you say that? What should have they done this year that they have not done before? Radio spots and mailings cost money. Its not exactly free and its cuts into the money raised throught golf and the auction.

If you go to the offical website you can find all the info needed to participate. I dont think we need sound trucks going up and down the street to market this event. People know when this annual even occurs, its usually the last weekend in May or first in June.

So living out of WNAX range or Brookings should not matter. We have a board here that has been informative of the event. HPER and Alumni Association web sites have had some kind of mention of the event. So unless you do not believe in computers, its hard to claim ignorance of the event.

I have not participated for maybe three years and I still got a mailing.

Yes the auction dollars are down. They reach $100,000 a few years back, or was that the final number, I dont recall. The auction has a quite a group of volunteers. I sure they are more aware of the drop than anyone and no doubt are looking for answers to change this trend next year.

Comment

Perhaps $4.00 gas and the impact it has had on almost everything we buy could have had an impact on the available dollars people have to spend on things like this ?

Comment

The Stan Marshall Auction and Golf Classic has been held for many, many years on the Saturday after Memorial Weekend. That happened to fall early this year and was the last weekend in May.

There were some people that I know of thought it was the first weekend in June and made arrangements to be in Brookings that weekend.

So, for future years, plan on coming to Brookings the first weekend after Memorial Day. It is already listed on www.gojacks.com as May 29-30, 2009!

In my opinion, this year's event went very well but was down slightly from the last year or two. I guess every year isn't going to be a record. A great time was had by all and the pace of play on the golf course was down an hour. It's a great event for a great cause and I encourage everyone to attend.

SUPERBUNNY
                        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                          How can you say that? What should have they done this year that they have not done before? Radio spots and mailings cost money. Its not exactly free and its cuts into the money raised throught golf and the auction.

If you go to the offical website you can find all the info needed to participate. I dont think we need sound trucks going up and down the street to market this event. People know when this annual even occurs, its usually the last weekend in May or first in June.

So living out of WNAX range or Brookings should not matter. We have a board here that has been informative of the event. HPER and Alumni Association web sites have had some kind of mention of the event. So unless you do not believe in computers, its hard to claim ignorance of the event.

I have not participated for maybe three years and I still got a mailing.

Yes the auction dollars are down. They reach $100,000 a few years back, or was that the final number, I dont recall. The auction has a quite a group of volunteers. I sure they are more aware of the drop than anyone and no doubt are looking for answers to change this trend next year.
                          Nidaros: I really like reading your postings and you provide great insight.

However, assuming everyone knows about the event is almost by definition poor marketing.

Not wanting to spend money to make money is poor marketing. In a year where there might be an expectation of some numbers dropping off, due to some of the reasons stated elsewhere, more money needs to be invested in marketing the event. You need to make sure everyone is reminded of the proper dates, the needs of the athletic program, build on the momentum of the Dykhouse gift, celebrating the transition being over, and 10 other reasons for people to attend the event, become part of the family, and give.

In my opinion, the marketing for our athletic department is still using a DII model.

Comment

collegewatcher:

All good points. I hope those who have authority to make some change will do so. I dont want to see things go south with SM, its been a big event and should continue to be so. I did so so in marketing classes so hardly an expert, but I thought the Carr and other studies would have gotten us out of a D2 mode, but maybe it has not. Who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                              collegewatcher:

All good points. I hope those who have authority to make some change will do so. I dont want to see things go south with SM, its been a big event and should continue to be so. I did so so in marketing classes so hardly an expert, but I thought the Carr and other studies would have gotten us out of a D2 mode, but maybe it has not. Who knows.
                              There's a lot of inertia that has to be overcome . . . both internal (institutional/bureaucratic) and external (media/fans/etc.)

I've been fairly critical of SDSU's marketing efforts from the very beginning of the D-I move. I hope that now, the realization is finally sinking in that a successful D-I program needs to have a much more aggressive marketing campaign. USD's marketing has been, IMHO, far, FAR superior to SDSU's. And let's not even talk about NDSU's marketing vs. SDSU's.

Part of it, perhaps, is a money issue, but marketing is one place where the old saying "it takes money to make money" applies the most.
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                              X