Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What fall sport has the best chance to win the conference (from gojacks.com)!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What fall sport has the best chance to win the conference (from gojacks.com)!

I saw this poll on gojacks.com and it got me wondering. The leaders were volleyball and football. They were ahead of soccer, men's cross country and women's cross country.
    I don't see volleyball because they lost their 3 best players and both coaches. I think that is just too much to make up in 1 year.
    I think football has a chance but I voted for women's cross country. They were only 1 point from winning it last year and they have their top 5 runners back. They place 5th, 9th, 14th, 15th and 25th at the conference meet. I think that should set them up well for next year.
    What does everyone else think?

Re: What fall sport has the best chance to win the conference (from gojacks.com)!

It will be soccer. Most of our core returns plus Wedemeyer is very impressed with the incoming class. Look for soccer to get a Berth in the NCAAs this year. Volleyball will be middle of the pack maybe. Football not so much, our offensive line seems to be weak.

Comment

Re: What fall sport has the best chance to win the conference (from gojacks.com)!

Many an O-Line has been and will be made to look weak by the D-Line
      "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
      -Leo Rosten

Comment

It takes time to mold a line together after you lose a couple of players. I think the O-Line will be fine by our first game.

Comment

I concur with the man in the blue hat. Women's soccer looks most promising, 2nd is Women's CC, then Football.

Jacks, in Football, based on discussion at AGS, appear to hands down have the toughest SOS this 2008 season.

Originally Posted by URMite
          The two toughest schedules I've seen on this thread without regard to location are SDSU 12/316 (266=11 games) = 0.0379747 and JMU 11/298 (HU @50) = 0.0369128

Richmond is 12/361=0.033241 if anyone is curious.

2 points about the formula
          1) if the 12th game is against an average FCS (50) then that generally brings your score down. Does that mean an extra bye is a tougher schedule than a patsy?
          2) Most games are won by the home team (I 'd like to see the % of road teams that won conf games in the SoCon/CAA/Gateway/Big Sky the last 8 years) so that should be taken into account in some fashion.

I think most of the top teams are a lot more confident in their home games so I'd be curious to see who has the toughest road schedule. UD with 6/96 = 0.0625 has got to be one of the toughest. Hofstra who was voted 40th (but counts as 50) is the only one outside the top 25.

SDSU 266 points are for 12 games, not 11. 7 FCS opponents rated, 1 FBS, and other 4 games FCS not rated. 12/266 = 0.045

Whole discussion here:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/foru...ength+Schedule

So while I believe (prayer smilie here) that Jacks have a legitimate shot at play-offs, I see us not winning the Gateway crown. Based on AGS poll, appears that a Domed team is most likely to win the Gateway. Sure would like the Jacks to break that 46 year losing streak in Fargo this year.

Comment

Working...
          X