End of Transition!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End of Transition!!!

Here is a very good article by Terry highlighting many accomplishments from this year.

One for the ages
    SDSU claimed league titles, built Division I momentum
    Terry Vandrovec • tvandrovec@argusleader.com • May 20, 2008

So much for having nothing to play for.

The final leg of the four-year NCAA Division I transition was arguably one of the most successful in the history of South Dakota State athletics. Most notably, on a single overcast Saturday - Nov. 17 - the Jackrabbits picked up two conference titles and an oversized check worth $6 million to be put toward a student-athlete development center.

"I think we all believed that we'd do good," athletic director Fred Oien said. "But I'm not sure we thought we'd win a conference championship in football, women's basketball and volleyball in the same year in Division I this year. It's a real credit to the coaches."

These were the top five sports stories of the year:

1. Football team ends title drought: Before a Coughlin-Alumni Stadium record crowd of 16,345, the Jackrabbits beat No. 1-ranked North Dakota State 29-24 in the season finale to win the Great West Football Conference title - their first championship crown since 1963.

It was the second year in a row that SDSU lost its first three games to wind up 7-4 and in the Football Championship Subdivision top 25.
    The Jacks - who will move into the renowned Gateway Football Conference this fall - also set a new home attendance record, boasted more academic all-district picks than any other Division I program in a nine-state region and had two players sign NFL contracts.

(read more)

Re: End of Transition!!!

Great article!
    Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
    -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

Working...
    X