Why dont we play Wyoming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why dont we play Wyoming?

i'm not so sure that it's created confusion in Football . . . the NCAA did that when they went down the road of having a "subclassification" in the first place . . .
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

First of all its all confusing.... but Wyoming people don't think too highly of SDSU they think they are better the ones that know that it exist and that is a select few right away... Personally I think they should play the game in Rapid make out as the baddle for the border or something and have a girls/guys double header but that won't happen.... The reason I think it is being held up in basketball is that Wyoming thinks they are too good for a true 1 and 1 and SDSU thinks they are too good for a 2-1..... Wyoming doesn't have much to offer SDSU right now and SDSU doesn't have much to offer to Wyoming.... A lot changes when you cross the river and when you cross the boarder it only gets worse....

Comment

My head hurts... too many letters!
        I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

I-AA and I-A were clear for football, but created confusion for other sports. FCS and FBS just swapped that confusion around.

As far as scheduling games goes, it's all about leverage. A lot of teams only play a couple road games in the non-conference each year. That means someone has to be playing the majority of their non-conference games on the road. It has nothing to do with whether a team thinks they are too good to play on the road, and everything to do with whether or not a team has the leverage to play a home-heavy schedule.

Comment

I think Wyoming might have had more interest in SDSU if the campus was located in Rapid City or some other more western point. A trip now from Larimie to Brookings is roughly 750 miles, though it seems much closer. We have played them in the past, like in the late 1970's or early 1980's, but that's long ago and many different considerations made that match up possible. UNC does not seem to interact much with Wyo either, and they are maybe 100 plus miles apart.

I dont know how often Idaho and Washington State compete, but the distance in between both campuses, is about the same as Volga to Brookings. Again its difference conferences and other considerations.

I dont think Wyoming has the football budget that Iowa State or Minnesota, so are probably not in the position to pay big guarentees, which is what SDSU is in the market for now. I suspect that might be the biggest reason for not playing in football. Other sports I cant say, but I sure they have been dialogues about scheduling.

Another match up in Women's BB would fill Frost no doubt and maybe even draw a good crowd in Larimie after last season's WNIT game.

Comment

I listened to an interview with the AD about a month ago and their main concerns at the moment are just winning football games, getting to the NCAA tourney for the women and trying to host the Wyoming state high school football play-offs in that order. Also the philosophy in most basketball programs is to schedule teams you think you will get a win from..they think they have a better chance at teams like University of Denver.

Comment

Working...
              X