SDSU-Avera Partnership to be Announced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SDSU-Avera Partnership to be Announced

Don't mean to sound dumb, but where is the new health and sciences building going? Is it going behind Shepard Hall where the fence is set-up or is it the building that is supposedly going where the old track and field is? Just a question

Comment

$15 million goes towards the Avera Health & Science Complex which will house the College of Pharmacy and Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry.

http://argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll.../NEWS/71114040

Comment

Originally posted by fabio208 View Post
        Don't mean to sound dumb, but where is the new health and sciences building going? Is it going behind Shepard Hall where the fence is set-up or is it the building that is supposedly going where the old track and field is? Just a question
        Shepard Hall is going to be torn down and replaced with this building.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman View Post
          Shepard Hall is going to be torn down and replaced with this building.
          Actually, the one story part of Shepard Hall that was completed somewhere in the area of 1980 will be torn down and the new wing of the building will be built there. The ca. 1980 part of the building was built in a hurry on a tight budget. It was built without sufficient footings to build upward and occupies real estate too valuable for a one story building. The ancient (original?) wing of Shepard Hall which is the darker brown brick building on the east side of the building was also scheduled for demolition as part of this project the last time I heard any detail about it.

The real lesson here is to plan for future growth and not build on a knee-jerk reaction and an insufficient budget. I think this one is being done properly thanks to long term planning at SDSU and by the Board of Regents along with the generosity of Avera. Another example of avoiding the knee-jerk reaction is the wellness center which is under construction. The students of SDSU can be credited with taking the jackalope by the horns on this one and raising the funds needed.

I hope these lessons continue as the expansion and renovations at CAS are planned and built. Whatever happens there will quite likely have to last at least 50 to 75 years. We don't want it to be substandard after only 10 or 20 years.
          Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
            The ancient (original?) wing of Shepard Hall which is the darker brown brick building on the east side of the building was also scheduled for demolition as part of this project the last time I heard any detail about it.
            That's the Chemistry Building of the 1950s, and actually Shepard Hall was built afterwards and connected. You are correct in that both the one-story part of Shepard Hall and the chem building will be torn down.

The project was originally projected to be at $32 million, using a combination of state funding (our first bldg in forever with HEFF funds...as they have been rotating around the system) and private funds (needing $6 million private I believe.) Anyway, the cost has moved up to around $37 million as I understand it, and the Avera money will make it a reality.

This has been on another thread about a year ago, and you can go and see the original drawings of the building, but I don't know the thread. Maybe somebody else can add it.

Comment

Watch the scoreboard at the game Saturday (halftime, I think) for a brief video about the Avera gift.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

There is more information and some pictures on the foundation site:

http://www.sdsufoundation.org/sdsu.aspx?pgID=994
                Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

this website has been up for quite awhile and was linked to on another thread somewhere...but here's the link again...

http://www.sdsunewsciencebuilding.com/

Comment

Working...
                  X