Cow Bell?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cow Bell?

Where is the cowbell? Is the Athletic Department trying to de-emphasis it? Or possibly eliminate it?

Anyone else notice this? No Cowbell Cam, No SNS skit on the video Board. I do not see the cheer squads with them? Maybe they do it only for basketball? I also walked through the bookstore the other day and did not see any cowbells in the store. Maybe I missed them or maybe they are sold out. Is it possible that SDSU or the Athletic Dept. might be trying to eliminate one of our traditions? I do not like it if indeed, this is the case.

It was referenced in a previous thread that SDSU has Hobo Day and Hobo Week; I also have a pet peeve with using Hobo Days and Hobo Daze. Same goes with our school colors Blue and Yellow (Not navy or gold).

In the Book The College on the Hill, there is a whole chapter (10) referencing the historical start of the cowbell at SDSU. It dates into the 1920’s. The "ringing of the cow bell" was approved by the Board of Regents back in 1926. It also states in 1926 “the college is suffering from a severe attack of ‘cowbellitis’. “

In the last couple years, the bookstore and athletics has had t-shirts referencing the Cow Bell. Athletics has brought even more attention to it. Now it appears that emphasis has disappeared.

I know that the NCAA and some conferences have restrictions on noise makers, but that does not stop Mississippi State, McNeese State and Oklahoma State from ringing them. Others schools shake their keys, hand out thunder sticks and other artificial noise during games. Please do not take this tradition away or deemphasize it.

If it has to do with the Summit League and the Gateway Conference specifically, please let us know. But at the same time we have our traditions and other schools need to realize that.
    We...ARE...STATE!
    SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Re: Cow Bell?

We were just commenting on this same thing last night during the game. They need to do something if they aren't going to use the cowbell any more. I was pretty impressed with the grandstand standing up and cheering but the rest of the stadium seemed like it could have been at a movie last night they were so quiet.

WE NEED MORE COWBELL (or something similar at least)
    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
    -Leo Rosten

Comment

I beleive that cow bells will no longer be aloud in Frost Arena, Conference rules. Not sure about the Gateway next year, but I beleive the same is true.

Comment

In the early 1970s, there were very few cowbells at football games and I do not recall seeing any at basketball games. I own a cowbell now but it is one I purchased two years ago. I didn't have one when I was a student and do not recall any other students owning a cow bell.

Comment

I remember listening to games in the past and you could hardly here over the cowbell.

Comment

Every graduate of SDSU football received an engraved Cowbell with his name and number on it. We can't get rid of the cowbell. Has there been any official word on whether they are being phased out?
            "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

There were times in the 80's and 90's when I and maybe three or four other people were the only ones in Frost or in Coughlin who had a cowbell.

I got lots of funny (and some irritated) looks from other SDSU fans, but I kept at it.

If they ban the cowbells in Frost, that just means that people will have to yell louder, that's all.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

They are phasing out and getting rid of the cowbell completely at Frost like the WNIT.

Comment

I email both the Summit League and Gateway Conference to ask the question regarding noise makers. So far no response. I guess I want to hear from the horses mouth before I think it is true.
                  We...ARE...STATE!
                  SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman View Post
                    They are phasing out and getting rid of the cowbell completely at Frost like the WNIT.

At the exhibition games last week, SDSU official were not allowing the "Cowbell" into Frost Arena. The reason being told was "they received too many complaints from fans last year". If this is the reason I do not understand people. If the department is conjuring up a reason for eliminating a long standing tradition, it is sad. First the Mascot, now the cowbell, what is next eliminating Hobo Day?
                    We...ARE...STATE!
                    SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Rep points for you, GoJacks, for mentioning a VERY legitimate concern. It seems that there isn't a SDSU tradition that can be considered safe anymore.

Go into Frost and try to find to find a Jackrabbit logo: you won't find one very easily. I know even want to go into the whole fiasco about the new mascot logo.

As for the cowbell, I am very disturbed about the shunning of this tradition. Has there even been a public announcement about it? I know that conferences aren't too keen about noise makers, but there should be some way to keep the tradition going. After all, our fight song ("Ring the Bells") is cowbell-inspired.

We might as well find a new school fight song . . . and maybe even a new mascot if the powers-that-be can't figure something out .

Comment

Originally posted by GoJacks View Post
                        At the exhibition games last week, SDSU official were not allowing the "Cowbell" into Frost Arena. The reason being told was "they received too many complaints from fans last year". If this is the reason I do not understand people. If the department is conjuring up a reason for eliminating a long standing tradition, it is sad. First the Mascot, now the cowbell, what is next eliminating Hobo Day?
                        This has been posted on other threads...but the Summit League has a conference rule against the use of artificial noisemakers, and Commissioner Tom Douple has told the ADs that this rule will be strictly enforced.

Unfortunately, the administration (now wishing they had not) started pushing them before we got into the conference, to jack up the crowd. Turned out NOT to be a good idea, as now there are lots of complaints (I'm there too!). The bookstore didn't order anymore when they knew about the rule and they never reappeared on the shelves after they were sold out.

So I don't know who said they were eliminated "because fans objected", but I do know the rule is the rule and it WILL be enforced. (It's the only thing that could stop me...believe me my right hand feels useless at the games now after 36 consecutive years of banging away.)

Football is not as clear. We will continue ringing them this year...for sure. With the Gateway coming up next year, will have to find out what happens with football...although I do not expect a similar situation at Coughlin. The outdoors, and larger crowds simply tones down their effect.

Comment

What if we neuter the cowbells...take out the clapper...steer bells! We could shake them at the opponents. They'd see that and get the message, even though it would be a silent message.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                            What if we neuter the cowbells...take out the clapper...steer bells! We could shake them at the opponents. They'd see that and get the message, even though it would be a silent message.
                            When they told us we couldn't ring them at the WNIT games in Frost, I made a cowbell out of styrofoam, covered it with aluminum foil, and painted it gold. The students got a big kick out of it when I shook it at them at the start of the game...but the darn thing just didn't make much sound except for a little swooshing (Nike word?) sound!

Comment

BRING THE COW BELLS FOR THE NDSU FOOTBALL GAME!!!!! Worse thing that happens is they get confiscated (but likely able to pick up one after game).

NDSU knows and (sorta) respects that they're going to get belled, SO BRING THEM TO THE GAME!!!!

IF THIS IS THE LAST TIME WE GET TO USE COWBELLS, LET'S LET THE AD KNOW WE VALUE OUR TRADITION. WE WANT A STATEMENT FROM GATEWAY COMMISSIONER ABOUT ARTIFICIAL NOISEMAKERS.

Already have that from Summit - no AN's (no cowbell)

Comment

Working...
                              X