• Show
Clear All

• Some still don't get it

An interesting piece from the Fargo Forum (sub. site but it is free):

http://www.in-forum.com/ap/index.cfm...w&id=D8QVLJCG0

Allure of the big time captures fancy of Division II schools

By ERIC OLSON AP Sports Writer

BROOKINGS, S.D.

"Ticker envy" - the desire to appear with the likes of big-time football powers such as Ohio State, Texas and Nebraska on TV score updates - can be irresistible to Division II schools hoping to make names for themselves on the biggest stage in college athletics.

And while that may not be the motivation for all, schools such as New Haven, Presbyterian and South Dakota State are among seven in the process of moving to Division I, joining 15 others that have begun the transition since 2003-04.

Awaiting those schools are greater opportunities for revenue, whether it's from fat paychecks for playing football road games against BCS powers or from NCAA basketball tournament-fueled revenue distributions.

Sure, there are added costs - millions of dollars' worth, in fact - for day-to-day operations and upgrading facilities.

The pros outweigh the cons, longtime South Dakota State athletic director Fred Oien says, because, ultimately, college sports are about image and "who you run around with."

North Dakota State University announced in 2002 that it was moving to Division I. Athletic director Gene Taylor said the move was about academics.

"Certainly being able to see your score roll across with some of the others was a way to get the recognition out there," Taylor said. "But our intial reason was getting on board with the same athletic advancments as we were academically."

The University of North Dakota announced its move to Division I last year.

"As we looked at it, it has more to do with, 'Are you competing with the schools that are more like you, in terms of size and willingness to invest in the program?'" athletic director Tom Buning said. "You want your competition to be strong so people are interested in coming to the games. If they come to the games, then you end up with the financial support that allows you to do that." . . . (read more)

Go State!

Re: Some still don't get it

I think the point that Fred made about the study is very important in that economists who studied the sample which I assume is a 100 per cent selection with no random choices, you lump large land grant schools with private schools. I think you would have much different results if the sample was split between private schools and land grant and state assisted schools. The big problem and it stopped Augie is the that the private schools are tuition driven and the cost for one full ride per year is 20k or more whereas a large land grant school may be able to educate a student at 12k per year. This consideration has a big affect on the outcome imo.

Private schools can make it at D1, but it takes good budget management and endowment building for athletic scholarships. It still boils down to who do you want to compete against. Its not about a pot of gold nor should it be. Interesting article though.

Comment

It was also printed in the Grand Forks Herald which is owned by Forum Communications. I found it interesting that they devoted an entire page to this story and a related story extolling the virtues of Division II.

BTW, I like your new board. I'm a long time reader. First time poster. Good luck to the Jacks in the upcoming seasons. I have always had a connection to SDSU through a first cousin who was a long time faculty member there (Ag Econ/Extension). He passed away several years ago.

Comment

I noticed this article has also appeared in The Brookings Register. Although I no longer subscribe to the print edition, I get a Profile edition weekly in my mail box. The Profile is a reprint of selected articles from the Brookings Register, and this article was one of them.

BTW, am I correct in thinking that Eric Olson was once a sport writer for The Register?

Comment

Working...
        X